Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To be annoyed about this strike?

(81 Posts)
muggglewump Mon 18-Aug-08 18:31:39

The dinner ladies at my daughter's school are striking this week, I found out via my neighbour reading on big signs outside the school advising parents they need to send their DC in with a packed lunch.
I can only assume it's over pay and/or conditions but really, the first week back at school?

slavemum Mon 18-Aug-08 18:35:37

Whole council on strike. So no janitor, office staff, dinner ladies and classroom assistants at schools. Some schools having to close on wed.

pointydog Mon 18-Aug-08 18:39:23

It's a Unison strike (and another couple of unions?) because they are being offered 2.5% pay rise. Nearly all the schools round me are closed on Wednesday.

It's no surprise they have chosen the first week back. The whole point of strike action is to cause maximum disruption. So you are being a little unreasonable.

Depends on your views of striking, I s'pose.

chelsygirl Mon 18-Aug-08 18:47:36

YABU

make a pack lunch, it won't kill you

muggglewump Mon 18-Aug-08 18:49:34

Ah, now that I didn't know, I just heard dinner ladies which made me cross.
I can see the first week back would have maximum impact but still, it's kids!
I guess I hope DD's teacher will be so devoted to teaching her that she wouldn't do that, I also know I am being unreasonable on that point!
The first week back though, and big signs outside the school announcing the need for packed lunches. It bothers me.

2shoes Mon 18-Aug-08 18:51:14

yabu

ScummyMummy Mon 18-Aug-08 18:55:03

Dinner ladies earn very little, if that makes any difference to your views.

pointydog Mon 18-Aug-08 18:58:10

It's nothing to do with teachers.

muggglewump Mon 18-Aug-08 18:59:34

Of course it won't kill me!
DD will get her packed lunch but I still think it's a bit off, especially for the free meal kids, and my DD is one of them.
Luckily I have enough for her to have a packed lunch this week, other weeks that may not be the case.
I didn't get a phone call either, if my neighbour hadn't told me she'd seen the signs DD would have had no lunch!
Unacceptable AFAIC

pointydog Mon 18-Aug-08 19:11:53

You could complain to your counicl. My one has sent a letter to every family with school age children. Very expensive way of doing it but they have made sure everyone knows.

Re supplying a packed lunch - don't you also have this problem if your child is off school or if snow/heating problems close the school? The odd unexpected thing will always arise.

ScummyMummy Mon 18-Aug-08 19:13:45

Yes, they should have sent a note home to make sure kids don't go lunchless. But the whole point is to make people see what happens without these people so that their value is realised and they are rewarded with a realistic payrise. Maybe you could write to your MP to say how great the dinner ladies at your school are and support their payrise demands if you feel so strongly about their excellent service?

OatcakeCravings Mon 18-Aug-08 19:32:06

YABU - totally.

Are you telling me you don't think that dinner ladies have the right to strike because you can't manage to make a sandwich in the morning?! Get a grip woman!

Jbck Mon 18-Aug-08 19:34:40

DD1's school sent out a note explaining why strike was on & what would happen. Children who get free meals will get a packed lunch.

Whizzz Mon 18-Aug-08 19:35:54

hmm didn't we all have the same debate during the last Unison strike in July??
The whole point of a strike is that's its supposed to disrupt & make people take notice

Purplepillow Mon 18-Aug-08 19:38:41

I've had a group call from our school to say they are closed on wednesday, my dd is not happy grin

Doobydoo Mon 18-Aug-08 19:38:45

YABU.

Waswondering Mon 18-Aug-08 19:40:45

YANBU - I know 3 or 4 children who are meant to be starting P1 on Wednesday - and who therefore can't go on the alloted day. I think that's unreasonable to 4/5 year old children.

Whizzz Mon 18-Aug-08 19:46:02

This is the reason why there is a need to strike

Bubble99 Mon 18-Aug-08 19:49:28

Depends on he dinner ladies at your school, I s'pose.

If they're good, I'd want to support them.

If they're crap (like ours) - I'd think a 2.5% pay rise was generous for standing around having not-remotely-related-to-childcare chats while children were being physically bullied in blind-spots.

Whizzz Mon 18-Aug-08 19:50:48

but its not just the dinner ladies - its all council workers...

Aimsmum Mon 18-Aug-08 19:50:57

Message withdrawn

Bubble99 Mon 18-Aug-08 19:52:16

Well if they're crap as well, they should be pleased with 2.5%.

Probably not the best person to ask, am I? hmm grin

muggglewump Mon 18-Aug-08 19:52:22

I'm not saying anyone doesn't have the right to strike, I'm saying I'm pissed off with them doing it the first week of school with no warning.
I was all set to send DD to school on Wednesday, with what she needs.
If it hadn't been for my neighbour telling me, she'd be lacking her lunch.
Is that really OK, what would they do? Phone me to quickly make a pack up when I might have nothing in, or tell me to bring her home which surely has security issues and would be still sprung on me and I might not have quick lunch food in.

A sign that I did not see is just not on, you strike, you at least let parents know by more than a sign outside the school when the kids are not there!
I'm fairly sure most parents don't walk past the school each day incase of a sign

hercules1 Mon 18-Aug-08 19:53:50

I think it's very sad when people dont support legitimate striking. OF course it's inconvenient, that's the point...

OatcakeCravings Mon 18-Aug-08 19:56:05

No warning hmm

Its been in every newspaper and every newsbroadcast that council workers are going to be on strike on Wednesday for weeks now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now