Talk

Advanced search

to want to name and shame people who are outwardly rude to children when doing their jobs?

(14 Posts)
BornToRun Mon 18-Aug-08 10:39:53

V v rude woman on the til in Ponti's in Covent Garden who expected one of my dcs to know exactly what everyone had ordered (2 adults, five children) and turned her back on her in disgust when dd couldn't tell her the whole order, and the lad on an attraction at Thorpe Park yesterday who rolled his eyes coz 2 of my dcs wanted to sit in the back row of a ride and it had obviously spoiled his seating plan!!!!Grrrrrr.

claricebeansmum Mon 18-Aug-08 18:37:39

Yes. I am trying to bring my children up to have respect for people - especially adults.

In one week alone adults came and took the chair that my daughter had been sitting on despite the fact that her drink and book were on the table (she had nipped to the loo). I challenged one woman about and she was really stroppy. so how do I teach DD that you should ask if a chair is free in a busy cafe before planting your arse on it?

I am not sure why people are quite so rude to children. It is if they are lesser beings.

Overmydeadbody Mon 18-Aug-08 18:41:38

I agree, children are just as deserving of respect as adults.

What baffles me even more is parents who show more respect to guests in their home than to their own children. How nice hmm

Overmydeadbody Mon 18-Aug-08 18:42:13

why especially adults clarice? Why not just bring them up to have respect for all people, regardless of age?

claricebeansmum Mon 18-Aug-08 18:43:58

Your right - everybody. Just thinking in this context and also the instances recently were with adults.

Twiglett Mon 18-Aug-08 18:46:01

what baffles me is when children are downright rude and adults look on adoringly or laugh

manners start at the beginning of life, they don't suddenly appear later on you konw

Overmydeadbody Mon 18-Aug-08 18:48:38

I agree Twiglett. Children should be tought manners.

But they also deserve as much repect as people as adults.

i was in this toy shop today. they guy behind the bounter just about had a fit because DS was touching the toys. (which were out...to be touched)
"A friend to all the world's children" my ASS!

Twiglett Mon 18-Aug-08 18:54:00

no, I think adults deserve more respect than children to be honest

I'm not saying that kids shouldn't be respected but they should stand up on the bus for an adult, open a door for an adult etc so it's not an equal thing

Overmydeadbody Mon 18-Aug-08 18:59:46

well Twiglett I agree, how children show respect to adults differs from how adults can show respect to children, but they are both equally deserving of respect.

Children are often seen and treated as second-class citizens. They shouldn't be. That doesn't mean they deserve exactly the same things as adults (like seats on the bus or whatever), just like a younger adult shows respect to an older adult in a different way to how the older adult might show respect to the younger one.

Twiglett Mon 18-Aug-08 19:03:29

fairy muff

Overmydeadbody Mon 18-Aug-08 19:04:42

It's about being considerate of other people's feelings, including children's, and how they are spoken to.

A child who hasn't noticed that an older person has got onto the bus and needs the seat shouldn't be ridiculed or spoken to in a horrible way (as I witnessed a few weeks ago), but talked to nicely and with respect, then they are more inclined to want to be respectful to adults in return and remember next time.

It'sd not difficult to speak to children nicely or show a little patience when dealing with them, after all, they are still learning how to function properly and fit into our society. That is what childhood is all about, learning how to be an adult. That needs to be respected.

onthepier Mon 18-Aug-08 19:46:59

I've had this. If myself + my ds travel by bus + there are lots of empty seats, he likes to sit separately from me, (I think this makes him feel more independent, he's only 5!)

Anyway, the other day a middle aged lady came on, said to my ds, "Come on, I always sit here, move up!". So he did move up next to the window + she sat next to him! Didn't know her at all + there were plenty of spare seats. My ds didn't seem to mind, but she huffed + puffed when it was time for us to get off + she had to move to let him out!

In my opinion the younger generation seem to have more manners than the older!

AbbeyA Mon 18-Aug-08 19:53:52

I think that the younger generation often have better manners. Many a time I see a child hold open a door and the adult walks though with never a smile, never mind a 'thank you'. I also get cross when a child is next in a queue in a shop and the assistant looks over their head and serves the person behind. I always say 'I think this little girl was first' and they begrudgingly serve her. It used to happen to me as a child.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now