Talk

Advanced search

to be annoyed that my son's friends mum has put the fear of god into my DS, who now says he doesnt want to go on holiday to Egypt!!!

(16 Posts)
stoppinattwo Sun 17-Aug-08 21:36:19

DS was at his friends house last week, he mentioned that we were going to Egypt later this year...to which his mates mother pipes up....Oh last time we went there a bomb went off in our hotel!!!!....ok thanks for that!!!, I now have a son who not only worries about being sick, going upstairs in the dark on his own, but now is saying that he odesnt want to go on holiday to Egypt as there will be a Bomb in our hotel.

She even went so far as to say....Sharm el sheik, oh yes that is exactly where we were staying too angry....ok so some kids might not worry about stuff like that but DS bloomin ticks about everything sad

I had to tell him for now that she made it up, until I can think of a way of explaining to him that these things do happen but very rarely, and if you spend yout life worrying about what could happen then you would never do anything sad sad

She does this all the bloomin time though...when i told her that DS was learning flute she said "oh doesnt he mind playing a girly instrument" angry DS was a bit put out and said...is that what people think??....she is a nice person, but she shoots her mouth off without thinking...I will not forgive her though if DS is on holiday stressing about bombs!!!!!

Wilkiepedia Sun 17-Aug-08 21:38:23

I would say something. Just say 'XX gets very easily worried about things, he's really concerned about a bomb in egypt now after what you said. I don't mean to be funny but would you mind being careful what you tell him as he takes everything literally...' or something like that. You don't have to be confrontational but I quiet word would do the world of good.

Silly cow. Why would you tell a CHILD that??

elmoandella Sun 17-Aug-08 21:43:51

i think she has to explain to ds that she made it up or something.

stoppinattwo Sun 17-Aug-08 21:45:09

Oh i know Wil sad...She really is a lovely woman and i really dont want to turn it into something confrontational.....I just think that she says and then thinks....wel sometimes she doesnt even think!!!

DS is buying my explanation at the moment, that she was making up stories for now...He does see things on the news about the trouble tha go on in the world it would be impossible to shelter him completely. I am just annoyed that she has been so thoughtless. What makes it worse is that DS has only just mentioned it today and it must have been early last week that she said it, so he has been thinking about it all week, he actually said at first, mum I think we should all stay at nans instaed of going on holiday this year.....it was only when i pushed him for a reason for not wanting to go that he told me sad

Wilkiepedia Sun 17-Aug-08 21:49:31

How old is he?

Nemoandthefishes Sun 17-Aug-08 21:54:49

aww stoppin we went and there and it was lovely for our honeymoon. We actually went in the nov after 9/11 and everyone asked us not to but was fab..will make point to tell ds when next see you

stoppinattwo Sun 17-Aug-08 21:56:14

Wil he is 9 yo

Thanks Nemo...Im positive that when we all go he will love it, but you know what a bloomin ticker he is

Wilkiepedia Sun 17-Aug-08 21:58:40

Bless him. I was a right worry wart at that age too. FWIW I have about 6 friends who have all been to Egypt and say it is fantastic.

stoppinattwo Sun 17-Aug-08 22:04:12

Wil....I have been diggin out some lovely websites showing him all the fab things we can do and see....

hopefully it will put his mind at ease, I know it wont go out of his mind as he isnt made that way.....but if i can reassure him we should have a stress free journey, dont get me wrong, regardless of how he feels he will be coming with us, but i just dont want a stressed out boy for the next 2months or so till we go, so I am trying to make it as stress free as possible for him...I just want a happy boy who is excited to go on holiday smile

LadyMuck Sun 17-Aug-08 22:05:41

Can see why you're upset, but to be honest I would imagine that if I had stayed at a hotel where a bomb had gone off then I probably would comment on it. I doubt that she meant to be unkind or to upset your ds - it would just be the sort of experience that would be pretty unforgetable.

I wouldn't leave it too long before correcting him about her making it up though, as at that age he is bound to discuss with his friend. He may end up even more stressed thinking that you didn't know about the risks, or that you were lying to him.

stoppinattwo Sun 17-Aug-08 22:09:07

Ladymuck...I think it is called tact.

AbbeyA Sun 17-Aug-08 22:19:25

I was going to suggest websites stoppinattwo and I see you are already doing it. I would show him lots of pictures of lovely buildings with no bomb damage and stress that there was trouble but it is now sorted out and in the past.
I would have a word with your friend and ask her to keep any comments to herself!

pointydog Sun 17-Aug-08 22:24:00

I think I would say to the woman, 'please don't talk about bombs going off in Egypt when ds mentions hisholiday, it makes him upset'

bubblerock Sun 17-Aug-08 22:24:02

Tell him it was a stink bomb

stoppinattwo Sun 17-Aug-08 22:31:03

bubblerock....i now have coffee on my keyboard!!!!...he would so relate to that grin...well that and water bombs wink

Thanks Abbey and pointy...He loved the piccies on the sites...especially the scuba diving and snorkelling ones!!

Seabright Mon 18-Aug-08 13:55:23

It could be worse.....never holiday where I go - I always seem to cause terrorist attacks or natural disasters (9/11, Bali Bombs - both bomb attacks, tsunami, shootings & bombings in Turkey and several more too I'm afraid blush)

Don't know how I do it - a year or two ago I was really keen to go to Lebanon, got brochures, the works. Then, war with Israel - I don't even have to go now, just think about it!

Anyway, please reassure your son I'm not going to Egypt and am not even thinking about it (have already been - mad man with gun attacked tourists, forgot that one earlier). Therefore he will be perfectly safe grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now