Talk

Advanced search

to not let dcs be bridesmaids, when they're not invited to the reception afterwards!

(135 Posts)
raindropsonroses Sat 16-Aug-08 18:58:41

AIBU - I've said no to dh letting the dcs be bridesmaids for his brother's wedding in December.
The reason I've said no, is that there are NO children allowed at the reception afterwards, so we'd have to go straight home after the church service.
Dh is very angry and thinks IABU but I don't think it is fair to treat dcs like wedding accessories!

YANBU how very rude. I wouldn't be going at all. I have nothing against child free weddings, at all. But to have them as bridesmaids and say well see ya your not invited to the reception is very selfish, and a bit bridezilla.

LackaDAISYcal Sat 16-Aug-08 19:01:45

I would do the same thing if I were you, so no YANBU.

The whole weddings/DCs thing can get a bit heated on here so be prepared for some lively debate about it!

aniseed Sat 16-Aug-08 19:02:10

I agree! Whoever heard of children not being invited to a family event?? Wait until the newlyweds have children then it will be different. The presence of children at events like these enhance the day for all not ruin it. I would say that they can only be bridesmaids if they are allowed to attend the reception. To have them just at the wedding is, as you say, using them to look pretty. It's all or nothing!

beanieb Sat 16-Aug-08 19:02:41

Oh gosh. How old are they? If they are very little then I think you need to swallow your pride and let them. They may love it, don't a lot of little girls. This is family and so I doubt they have just picked your little girls because they want trophy bridesmaids, they want to include their family but they do have the right to choose an adult reception.

Can't you go and enjoy both parts, seeing your little girls do a beautiful job s bridesmaids and then having a more adult evening - a chance to let your hair down etc.

If they are older (teens) then I thin that it's a bit off.

escape Sat 16-Aug-08 19:03:16

thats crackers!
sorry, Lacksy - no need for heated debate on this one, its pretty clear.
OP is correct, her DC are literally wedding accessories

pagwatch Sat 16-Aug-08 19:06:08

I have no problem with people choosing how their wedding is organized. If people want a child free wedding fair enough. But if you are having a child free wedding it seems odd to have children as bridesmaids.

Are other children invited to the wedding but not the reception?

JonahTakalua Sat 16-Aug-08 19:07:08

Either the children are part of the wedding, which includes ceremony and reception, or they aren't.

I'm surprised that your BIL knows that if your DCs don't go to the reception, then you and your DH can't either, and is still happy to go along with it.

They are pefectly entitled to have a no-children wedding if that is what they want, but then they have to make do without having beautiful little child bridesmaids.

I sense a bridezilla.

YANBU.

hollyandnoah Sat 16-Aug-08 19:07:09

Why would they not want children at a family event? What do they think's going to happen. :S I was at a wedding reception 2 weeks back, there were lots of children there. Was nice seeing everyone!

raindropsonroses Sat 16-Aug-08 19:07:25

Dcs are 11 and 5. The wedding is a couple of hours drive away, so not convenient to return to the reception after dropping off the children anyway.

palaver Sat 16-Aug-08 19:08:27

Are they having toasts?

Will they be toasting the bridesmaids in absentia?

Seems very odd to me to invite them to part of the wedding day

savoycabbage Sat 16-Aug-08 19:09:12

It does seem like madness. They can't expect to have the 'benefits' of having children around without the disadvantages. It is a difficult position for your dh but no, YANBU.

Who do they expect to remove them form the wedding and look after them?

cornsilk Sat 16-Aug-08 19:09:17

Are you invited to the reception then? Just not your dd's?

WilfSell Sat 16-Aug-08 19:09:25

YANBU AT ALL.

They are total hypocrites taking the 'child-free' wedding piss. Doubtless you can be reassured that this means your children are VERY beautiful and they wanted them for their angelic faces on their photos.

Aren't kids asked to be bridesmaids etc to supposedly symbolise the future of the couple, fertility, new beginnings and all that?

Farking cheek if you ask me.

TsarChasm Sat 16-Aug-08 19:10:06

YANBU. How rude to wheel them on as props then expect them to shove off.

I think people are quite entitled to have a child free wedding. No problem with that. But you can't have it all ways. This is just using them. It's horrible sad

falcon Sat 16-Aug-08 19:10:30

Child free weddings are quite common actually and I've absolutely no problem with them, but this situation is different.

It's incredibly rude to ask them to participate in the wedding ceremony but not to invite them to the reception.

YANBU.

Earlybird Sat 16-Aug-08 19:11:21

On the face of it, they're being very unreasonable, but let's break it down:

1. How old are your dc?
2. What time of day is the wedding?
3. Presumably the reception follows straight after? (Trying to determine if a night reception is really too late for little ones to be awake).
4. How far is it to your home from wedding?
5. Would it be feasible to take dc home after wedding to be looked after by babysitter so they could sleep, and you/dh could enjoy the reception?

olympicsnotfederer Sat 16-Aug-08 19:12:22

they are BU

raindropsonroses Sat 16-Aug-08 19:12:25

I'm not sure if other children are invited to the church (in non bridesmaid role).
Dh's sister has agreed to let her dcs be bridesmaids, making me look like the difficult one.

LazyLinePainterJane Sat 16-Aug-08 19:12:33

shock

So they want the pretty little girls walking down the aisle adding to the effect of their wedding, but want to ship you all off home once you have done your part? How rude!

falcon Sat 16-Aug-08 19:12:35

And inviting the bridesmaids doesn't mean they have to invite other children, all they need to say is that the wedding party would naturally be invited so they can't use that as an excuse.

spicemonster Sat 16-Aug-08 19:12:44

That's shockingly rude. Your children are people, not models to be hired for photos. If your brother would like some models for bridesmaids, I'm sure he can hire them.

I'd be really, really pissed off if I were you.

AbbaFan Sat 16-Aug-08 19:13:06

Agree with the others.

Do as you have planned.

Jojay Sat 16-Aug-08 19:13:23

Agree with the majority - you either have a child free wedding or you don't.

YANBU

expatinscotland Sat 16-Aug-08 19:13:32

YANBU.

So you're supposed to stump up for their dresses, clothes for you, transport and possibly lodging, a present.

All so they can be props in her play and then they expect you to piss off back home?

Screw that.

I'm one of those people who doesn't see the big deal about childfree weddings. But if you're gonna talk the talk, walk the walk or piss off.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now