Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to put a sarcastic note to my neighbour, in with the money for my avon order?

(44 Posts)
onthepier Fri 15-Aug-08 23:05:10

A few days ago there was a message on our answerphone from the lady across the road, (an agent from avon), saying my order was ready to be picked up.

I popped round the following morning, saying I hoped she didn't mind me being early but myself + dh were going to a nearby city for the day, (early start). By coincidence she said she was going as well.

Anyway, myself + dh were walking along to the bus stop, (we don't drive), when she pulled up in her car + offered a lift. We got in out of politeness really, would have preferred to make our own way.

The whole journey she was questionning us about being non drivers, why don't we drive, what about your children, don't they miss out, etc? She was very rude in our opinion, with lots of tutting + eye rolling when we answered.

The fact is that dh + I both have good jobs, neither of us has taken to driving, (dh actually passed his test years ago though). We could afford a car but instead use that money to pay for transport as + when we need it, trains, buses, taxis etc. Have been doing this for over 12 years now since we married, + it's suited us fine!

We've positioned ourselves centrally + even when we go on holiday we taxi to the airport, so we're certainly not expecting to be ferried around by anyone! The dc's enjoy all the modes of transport we use + certainly don't miss out!

I owe her money for the avon order, AIBU to enclose a note saying we're happy with our lifestyle thanks very much, + would prefer it if she didn't quiz + criticise us again? My dh is also furious and wants no dealings with her, but I feel I can't just let this go!

expatinscotland Fri 15-Aug-08 23:06:20

Yes, YABU.

Just let it lie and don't buy from her anymore.

MatNanPlus Fri 15-Aug-08 23:07:26

I would just ignore the crass opinions she expressed, pay for the Avon and should another grilling lift be offered just say NO

Mamazon Fri 15-Aug-08 23:07:32

I would leave it be but would not accept a lift again....nor woudl i order from her avon.

themoon66 Fri 15-Aug-08 23:08:46

YABU... she was probably just making conversation, poor woman. Why not just say 'thanks for the lift' and leave it at that?

unknownrebelbang Fri 15-Aug-08 23:09:16

YABU.

You're happy with your choices, why be bothered what someone else thinks?

Let it go, pay up and don't bother ordering again if it still irks when the next book arrives.

Ashantai Fri 15-Aug-08 23:10:25

Yeah leave it be, life is too short to make her a neighbour from hell, believe me, i know!

lilymolly Fri 15-Aug-08 23:11:41

FFS she was being kind

sounds like was being curious

why would you want to write a note thats just mean

ilovemydog Fri 15-Aug-08 23:12:07

just be gracious and don't lower yourself to her standards. Just say, 'thanks for the ride...'

glasgowgal Fri 15-Aug-08 23:12:43

Yes, YABU.

Please don't do it. Tension between neighbours is never good. You will regret it.

JamieJay Fri 15-Aug-08 23:13:16

YANBU to be annoyed about the cross examination - she sounds a bit of a judgemental bint IMHO.

I'd like to say YANBU about putting a sarky note in, but have to ask what would it gain other than further aggro so going to have to go with YABU on that one.

Pay the money, get your order, have nothing more to do with her and go about your life knowing you are happy with your lot smile

twinsetandpearls Fri 15-Aug-08 23:44:45

You are being very unreasonable and a bit odd.

mumasaurus Fri 15-Aug-08 23:48:44

No don't write a note. Never do that sort of thing,do it to the face or not at all.

expatinscotland Fri 15-Aug-08 23:50:04

i wish someone sold Avon around here.

i'm desperate for some of that Dreamlife perfume - but need the shower gel to go with it. 2 shower gels to one perfume.

Kif Fri 15-Aug-08 23:51:32

I think you're over-reacting because you dh was upset, so now you're double upset: once for yourself, and once because he's upset.

let it go. in particular - don't write or say anything n the heat of the moment.

Kewcumber Fri 15-Aug-08 23:54:58

no dpn;t write a note - if she thinks she was just making conversation (one persons eye roll is another persons facial tick!) then an agressice note saying "please don't speak to us again" will convince her you're barking mad. If she thought that before (because you don't drive) then she'll be convinced after reading it.

Do what normal people do when they don't like their neighbours - smile and wave from a distance. Writing sarcastic (your example didn't sound sarcastic by the way just defensive) notes is a bit mad.

Kewcumber Fri 15-Aug-08 23:55:39

can't you get it online Expat?

thumbwitch Fri 15-Aug-08 23:57:20

let it go, it's not worth it. Pay for your Avon stuff but don't encourage her to come back and leave it at that - if she comes knocking again tell her that you don't need any more stuff.

expatinscotland Fri 15-Aug-08 23:57:24

I could, but it would be nice to patronise someone local. I'm a sucker for supporting locals.

crazymummy84 Sat 16-Aug-08 12:22:17

YANBU, but as she lives so close it wouldn't be worth the trouble. It's her loss as you wont be buying from her again (I hope)

JumpingDizzy Sat 16-Aug-08 12:25:26

how old are you? YABU let it go.

MrsMattie Sat 16-Aug-08 12:27:25

YABU. Forget it. If you're happy with your lifestyle, don't worry about what anyone else thinks or says.

squeaver Sat 16-Aug-08 12:44:27

Rise above it.

PotPourri Sat 16-Aug-08 12:46:22

It's none of her business. But putting a note in it makes it her business. Ignore her, pay for your order adn never speak to her again
(or order ~Avon stuff).

bergentulip Sat 16-Aug-08 12:50:01

You sound a bit petty, and over-sensitive.

She sounds like she was just intrigued and expressing friendly nosiness. It is fascinating when someone lives a certain way you yourself could not imagine.
Even with tutting and eyerolling, that does not necessarily have to mean she was purposefully trying to be rude.

YABU. Grow up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now