Talk

Advanced search

to start to dislike my otherwise fanstastic job because of one thing?

(10 Posts)
LolaTheShowgirl Fri 15-Aug-08 19:29:48

I work in a sales environment but not shop work, more office bound with customers able to come in and purchase. I really enjoy my job apart from one thing. There is always two of us on at one time and I work with 5 other women. I like working with all of them but one. She barely speaks to me all shift (usually about 4/5 hours) even if I try to strike up conversation. That doesn't bother me too much as I just get my head down into doing some work. What does really get to me though is the way she rushes me at the end of the shift to get out the door. We have 20 minutes to lock and secure the building and do a bit of balancing the days takings. Even though the balancing accounts is so simple, I find myself struggling with it and I take a few minutes longer than the other girls but i'm more than willing to do my share but this one woman really rushes me. She is standing there all lights out, coat on, boring her eyes on me because i'm taking longer and tonight I had just had enough so looking at what the final figures should be, just wrote that as my final figure. It could be wrong but I didn't care at the time really. I am worried it may be wrong now but i'm so fed up with her!

posieflump Fri 15-Aug-08 19:34:04

how often do you have to have a shift with her? Once a week?
I would do it in the time you need to do it and make sure it was right and try to ignore her rudeness

LolaTheShowgirl Fri 15-Aug-08 19:49:55

but I do it in plenty of time before what is supposed to be our finish time but because we can leave soon as everything is done she just zooms around her duties. I am so pissed off right now. Yes, it is once or twice a week I do shifts with her but they seem like a lifetime!

AnybodyHomeMcFly Fri 15-Aug-08 19:54:06

Maybe she has to be somewhere?

But it does sound annoying, could you start the balancing earlier and then add in the last ones right at the end? <ABHMc displays rather vague knowledge of what balancing books may actually entail>

LolaTheShowgirl Fri 15-Aug-08 19:57:48

thanks for your replies but no ahmcfly. We can only do once we know there will be no more customers. She goes straight home to her husband and teenage daughter and she drives too...lives 2 minutes down the road.

bunchoflowers Fri 15-Aug-08 20:29:17

I have never worked in any office where there hasn't been at least one other woman getting all bitchy and jealous. It can be a total nightmare!! I basically had to leave my last job because of the dirty looks and exclusion treatment being dished out by some of the other girls - it just made going in everyday intolerable. What do the other people you work with think of her? She must feel threatened by you or she wouldn't be so intimidating. At least there's only one of her, if it was a gang, it would just be so awful. Could you not try again with her and somehow get her on side?

LolaTheShowgirl Fri 15-Aug-08 20:39:40

We don't hate each other and the very little small talk we have is nice but it is the end of the working day that I dislike so much. I am the newest there and I think my deputy who I get on with brilliantly knows what she's like because she has said to me a few times after I've told her how stressed I was that 'has Jane rushed you to make you feel like that' so she must do it to everyone but because I am slower than everyone else I feel the brunt of it and if my deputy or manager (who is very nice) had a word with her, it would be unbearable working alongside Jane. I guess I will just have to go in tomorrow and face the music if I messed the accounts up, and guess who will be telling me if I have...witch face Jane!

HereComeTheGirls Fri 15-Aug-08 20:41:59

My colleagues are all like that at the end of the day, and try to hassle me to finish early even though i would get into trouble. I get on fine with them though, I think they are just in a huge hurry to get home. Maybe you shouldn't take it personally?

mistypeaks Fri 15-Aug-08 20:47:45

Ask her to do it at the end of the day instead . . .Or would that be bad?

onepieceoflollipop Fri 15-Aug-08 20:48:23

I am in a similar situation. Some people just seem a bit obsessed with leaving asap even if they don't actually need to. We can leave early if everything is finished, but I kind of see that as a privilege rather than a right. e.g. the other night I worked with a colleague who is generally lovely. We were quiet and she had a long break (longer than official break). I had genuine work to record on the pc, but she was finished. We still left v. early, but not as early as we could have done if I hadn't been as "thorough" iykwim.

No magic answer for you, just sympathy.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now