Talk

Advanced search

To worry about MIL giving her GS (age 1) beer?

(19 Posts)
G2B Fri 15-Aug-08 14:44:07

I'm worried about sending DS to MIL as she looks after her other GS A LOT, and she gives him quavers and wotsits all the time, and biscuits and crap. Bad enough but she winds him up so he's so naughty and then she laughs and says she loves it. I also saw her give him a couple of sips of her beer and then laugh her head off and said to me 'he likes it.' He's 20 months FFS.

Tortington Fri 15-Aug-08 14:48:56

a couple of sips - wouldnt really do my nut, neither would the crap.

its all in her attitude!

StellaWasADiver Fri 15-Aug-08 14:50:14

hmm

do you have to send him then?

morningpaper Fri 15-Aug-08 14:52:19

The beer in itself wouldn't worry me, her attitude would. If you aren't confident that she is looking after him properly, I think you need to find alternate childcare.

WorzselMummage Fri 15-Aug-08 15:03:03

It wouldnt realy bother me.

Mil feeds dd rubbish its part of the attraction for dd !

I have an awesome picture of me drinking my dads pint when i was about 2

Bumdiddley Fri 15-Aug-08 15:05:35

YANBU - My grandmother laughed and made faces behind my mum's back when she was telling my brother off for playing with matches [angey]

Bumdiddley Fri 15-Aug-08 15:06:06

or angry even!

Dropdeadfred Fri 15-Aug-08 15:06:53

I wouldn't send my dc there. Full stop.

DarrellRivers Fri 15-Aug-08 15:10:30

I mainly don't like the idea that your MIL winds your nephew up to be naughty and then laughs at him
I would avoid having this MIL look after your son

beanieb Fri 15-Aug-08 15:16:39

My ex's mother used to give her grandson (ex's nephew) beer when he was very young. My Ex was an alcoholic. I always wondered about how he was raised by his monther, seemed she felt there was nothing wrong with giving kids alcohol that young.

Can you tel her that she must not give him alcohol at all?

AbbaFan Fri 15-Aug-08 15:16:52

If you provided the food would she be willing to do it your way. If not, this is probably a sign she won't take your wishes into consideration for other things.

OurHamsterisevil Fri 15-Aug-08 15:33:18

Only Beer!! MIL was dipping her finger in her G&T and sticking it in DS2's mouth. He is only 10 months.

She does sound like a loon

Pinkjenny Fri 15-Aug-08 15:35:11

I watched my friend let her then 9mo dd taste a bit of her frozen margarita once. She's a laid back type of mum, but I was completely horrified. My face registered nothing though.

Having said that, dd was trying to take my coffee cup off me this morning so I thought, 'OK let her taste it, she'll think its revolting as she only ever drinks milk or water', she said 'mmmm' and tried to get some more!

Blimmin child!

Jackstini Fri 15-Aug-08 15:38:40

Wouldn't be so worried about the odd sip of beer or wotsit but the laughing at the naughtiness would infuriate me.
Can you lay out clear ground rules on obedience and say something like 'I know I can trust you to help us with this' putting the onus on her?

Jux Fri 15-Aug-08 15:40:39

It depends how regularly you are intending to send him. Once in a blue moon isn't going to hurt him but I would think twice if I were relying on her more often. The beer thing wouldn't bother me too much, but unless she were providing proper food as well, I wouldn't be happy. Also, winding the other gs up is not something I would want mine subjected to or to witness.

juuule Fri 15-Aug-08 16:03:42

I'd be worried.
Sounds like a terrible attitude. Winding him up until he's naughty and then laughingshock

Also, it's illegal to give alcohol to under-5s unless it's for medicinal reasons.

mumeeee Fri 15-Aug-08 18:13:21

YANBU. It is actually illegal to give a child under five alcohol. Also her attitude is wrong.

jerin Sun 17-Aug-08 10:18:03

I was at SIL and my DS took his 2 year old cousins bottle and started drinking from it. He loved it but I've only ever given him water. I asked SIL what juice it was and she replied BEER! I was shocked but sort of laughed and then grabbed it away from him.

chloemegjess Sun 17-Aug-08 10:26:07

I wouldn't. I dont leave my DD alone with my MIL as I know she will do things that I don't agree with. Maybe when she is older I will reveiw that but I certainly wouldnt leave you DS with somebody with that attitute.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now