Talk

Advanced search

to think a narrow school entrance is not the right place to ride scooters...

(8 Posts)
farrowandball Thu 14-Aug-08 13:59:47

there is a scooter/bike stand at the entrance - which seems great so that kids can ride to school and so on.

however, as with many schools, the path and gate into school are reasonably narrow and get bottlenecked and i'm absolutely sick of parents letting their kids ride their scooters up and down it on their way home. presumably these parents either collect the scooter on the way to collect their child who then rides it all the way from the school door, or they let them go up and down amidst the people trying to leave.

i know its a bit trivial, but i really think there is an issue of manners and courtesy and consideration for others at stake here.

toying with a letter to the school, but interested in feedback... try not to be too vitriolic if you think i'm wrong.

policywonk Thu 14-Aug-08 14:02:11

We have a similar issue at our school. I think scooters (which my DS1 loves with a passion and constantly pesters me to bring to school) should be kept away from pedestrians as much as possible. I tend to let DS1 use his only in parks or on wide pavements.

However I'm more exercised about the unmentionable twerps who keep parking on the kerbs or in the disabled spots outside the school.

farrowandball Thu 14-Aug-08 14:23:01

ah, indeed. happily we dont have these issues as its double yellows, busy road etcetc

should i write?

cornsilk Thu 14-Aug-08 14:26:23

No - chn need to be encouraged to go to school by any means other than car. How old are your chn?

OurHamsterisevil Thu 14-Aug-08 15:09:13

At DS1 school they hav a rule about not riding bikes or scooters in the playground. You can ride it to school but then must push it across the playground. This seems perfectly reasonable to me and maybe something you should suggest to your school

policywonk Thu 14-Aug-08 15:10:45

Yes - I can see cornsilk's point about encouraging children to get to school under their own steam, but asking people to dismount and carry the scooters through the entrance seems reasonable.

Blandmum Thu 14-Aug-08 15:14:22

Where I work we encourage the kids to cycle, have ample covered bike racks etc but we insist that they *don't cycle on the school grounds. they have to dismount and push their bikes.

Otherwise it would be bloody carnage.

Cue me shouting at one point, 'Get off your bikes please this is not a pavement. I mean it is a pavement!!!' Cue the kids falling about laughing at me! smile

laweaselmys Thu 14-Aug-08 15:19:26

I think it's worth mentioning especially if there's lots of little kids and no space. It's not like you're saying they can't use scooters, just not in that bit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now