Talk

Advanced search

To want to smack HARD the woman who told me it's not I'm REALLY going back to FT since I'm ONLY a teacher...

(213 Posts)
Caz10 Wed 13-Aug-08 21:18:51

(Ok should preface this by saying I am going back to work tomorrow leaving my 8mth PFB DD behind, I'm tired and hormonal and very upset about the whole thing...grin)...

But I am genuinely concerned as to how I will manage the workload of marking etc when I have a non-sleeping baby and therefore not much free time in the evening, and I know I used to have a good couple of hours to do most nights, and that was before I was trying to rush home early to see DD!

Dreading every aspect of going back to work and can't stop crying.

Then met someone I vaguely know through the baby clinic, who works 2 days a week in a job that stops the minute she walks out of her office door, and mentioned in passing that I was dreading going back tomorrow.

Says she - "oh but you're a teacher aren't you, so it's not like you really work full time, you can hardly call it a proper full time job"....angry

I will freely admit our holidays are wonderful, but I also know the term time will be hellish...

Cow. sad

nametaken Wed 13-Aug-08 21:21:25

Hmmmmm, if teachers work full time, how come I've never once seen one of their kids in an out-of-school club.

msdemeanor Wed 13-Aug-08 21:22:12

Is that really exactly what she said? Is it not possible that she was trying to be reassuring, to say, you won't be away from your dd as much as if you were in another job with only five weeks' holiday? She doesn't know how upset you are. I am sorry btw. I was also very sad to be going back to work, but really it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I don't think she was dissing your job, just trying to say that you would still see quite a bit of your baby.

KatieDD Wed 13-Aug-08 21:22:49

PMSL I can't say I disagree with her tbh

nametaken Wed 13-Aug-08 21:23:04

Sorry, I felt I was a bit harsh there. I can understand you being upset at having to leave your dd and going back to work. The actual number of hours worked is irrelevant.

LadyMuck Wed 13-Aug-08 21:23:22

Erm I see the dcs of my dcs teachers still at school until 7 or later at night when there are events/parents evenings etc on. And yes, they are in afterschool club too.

Caz10 Wed 13-Aug-08 21:23:26

nametaken the flexibility of it is great, I can leave not long after the kids if I want and there are no meetings etc - BUT what that means is that I will have 3-4 hours of hard graft to do after dd is in bed

sphil Wed 13-Aug-08 21:24:26

YANBU. The woman clearly has no idea of how much extra work has to be done outside school hours, including the holidays. Cow indeed angry.

I wish you the best of luck for tomorrow!

Caz10 Wed 13-Aug-08 21:24:31

sorry, i mean I can leave that early IF there are no meetings

prior to going off on mat leave though, 6-7pm was normal finishing time

onepieceoflollipop Wed 13-Aug-08 21:25:31

What an insensitive and horrible woman. angry

It is actually none of her business.

Caz I hope tomorrow goes as smoothly as possible for you, I have returned to work twice (after 2 dds) and establishing new routines does take some getting used to. dd2 doesn't sleep well, so that is another hurdle.

mathsmummy27 Wed 13-Aug-08 21:26:09

Total sympathy for you and disgust for her.
It's hard enough leaving little ones without all that kind of thing. And I know exactly how much work teachers do - the guilt even worse because you're doing a lot of it at home, with child in front of tv/ on mat/asleep.
Ignore her. And pity her.

Caz10 Wed 13-Aug-08 21:26:43

that is what she said, and I didn't know how to type the condescending snort she gave...angry

in fact no, it's not what she said, I missed out the ONLY, as in you're ONLY a teacher...

By the way, I can spell, punctuate etc, please don't fear for your childrens education, just too tired and angry right now!!

onepieceoflollipop Wed 13-Aug-08 21:27:28

Tbh I am a bit shock by one or two of the responses on here. I know people speak their mind and have their opinions, but what I picked up on most from your op is that you are very upset (your words) about the prospect of going back.

TenaciousG Wed 13-Aug-08 21:27:54

Oh Caz10, YANBU darling, how horrible for you, you sound like you are in a right state.

I was an NQT with loads of my first year to go before I had dd and I decided not to go back, because I could not face the 12+ hour days I was doing in a school that was on the brink of going into measures.

Is there anyone at work you can talk to, someone with dcs themselves, who can advise you on strategies to minimise the work you are taking home with you? Not advocating skiving or anything before anyone jumps on me, just ways to minimise all the 'unseen' work teachers do. EG, if marking is your bugbear, is there any way you can possibly look at other ways of assessment, eg peer group? I am prob being not helpful, you are waaaaaay more experienced than me I bet. You sound so down, please don't be, there must be a way to cope with this, plenty of people do.

And as for that stupid woman you encountered today, I wish extreme thrush on her, what a silly twunt.

Caz10 Wed 13-Aug-08 21:28:50

yes, I don't actually know whether to be more bothered by her total lack of understanding of what we do, or just her bloody cheek for saying anything at all!

kitsmummy Wed 13-Aug-08 21:29:52

She is a stupid cow and there's no way I'd want a job that was full time with evening work involved too so you've every right to be furious with her.

TenaciousG Wed 13-Aug-08 21:30:22

one piece, I was the same shock people really do resent teachers don't they? FFS.

Blandmum Wed 13-Aug-08 21:30:45

And nametaken and katiedd you *are8 both teachers then, and know just how many hours teachers work out of school. Or are you some of the mistaken people who think that our day stops when they kids leave school?

Beacuse I can assure you both that it doesn't!

bamboostalks Wed 13-Aug-08 21:30:54

Typical comment tbh. Many people feel an irrational annoyance with teachers terms and conditions. The profession is open to all and we all have to make choices. Good Luck to teachers, I say.

minouminou Wed 13-Aug-08 21:32:13

arghhhh
she's a silly cow
may her thrush be especially odorous

glasgowgal Wed 13-Aug-08 21:32:14

My kids are in an after school club, nametaken!

Caz, you will be fine, honest! So will your dd. Tomorrow will be bleeeeeeeeeeeeuurgh but you will get through it and it will get easier and everyone will adapt. Honest! I have done it.grin

Rise above what she said. Teachers get it all the time, as you know.

Now go pour yourself a glass of wine and look forward to some adult chat and a full 45 minute lunch without baby goo.

TenaciousG Wed 13-Aug-08 21:32:41

Martian, as well as ending at home time, don't forget that a teacher's day also only starts when the bell goes for registration in the morning... wink hmm

AnotherFineMess Wed 13-Aug-08 21:33:46

Grrrrrr, I am not a teacher, but have TOTAL respect for how hard the teachers I know work, and am angry for you! Ignore the silly ignorant woman - her comment says far more about her than the teaching profession.

Good luck for tomorrow.

onepieceoflollipop Wed 13-Aug-08 21:34:29

I am not a teacher. However I do think that those posters who have been quite unkind to Caz need to consider one thing...

If she (and other teachers) really have it so good then there is nothing stopping you from training to be a teacher.

fwiw I am a nurse, I do rubbish shifts and not great pay but I get job satisfaction (like a lot of teachers do). If I was to post a similar post to Caz's I would be very hurt to have such thoughtless and unkind responses.

Caz wishing you a good night's sleep and hope tomorrow is better than you hope for... sometimes the anticipation of these things is worse than the reality.

donshardhat Wed 13-Aug-08 21:34:34

I don't think there is any secret that teachers hours are enviable.
I would say that taking your current situation separately the hours that a teacher works across the year I am not sure that it should/does count as a full time job.

She was insensitive you are not lookin gforward to it. but in essence I don't think her statement was incorrect.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now