Talk

Advanced search

To think it should have been offered back to me first?

(18 Posts)
TheHedgeWitch Wed 13-Aug-08 18:11:13

Message withdrawn

CountessDracula Wed 13-Aug-08 18:13:10

Well I think if you had stipulated that at the time then fine

I guess she thought if you were freecycling it you didn't want it any more and so she would do the same

HTH

TheProvincialLady Wed 13-Aug-08 18:13:24

YABU because the dress passed from your possession to hers - you gave it to her - so she was free to do as she liked with it. As you had given it to her via freecycle in the first place she assumed that you no longer wanted the dress, so why would she offer it you back?

CountessDracula Wed 13-Aug-08 18:13:29

(at least you know she didn't flog it on ebay!)

lazaroulovespastries Wed 13-Aug-08 18:14:47

Yes, she should have offered it back to you first. Maybe she lost your details or thought you wouldn't want it back. She probably thought there was no way you would notice her freecycling it again a couple of months later.

psychomum5 Wed 13-Aug-08 18:15:16

I would feel miffed too, but you did pass it on, and so, in that respect, it is hers to also pass on.

would you wear it tho, if it had been offered back???

TheHedgeWitch Wed 13-Aug-08 18:17:37

Message withdrawn

TheProvincialLady Wed 13-Aug-08 18:18:58

But if she had used it and kept it you wouldn't have had it to wear now, so I don't see that you have lost by it?

There is probably a proverb suitable for this occasion. Never a freecycler nor a freecycler wanter backer be.

LazyLinePainterJane Wed 13-Aug-08 18:19:04

YABU in that the freecycle rules state that you give for good, no borrowing or lending. If you didn't want to lose the dress you should not have given it in the first place.

VeniVidiVickiQV Wed 13-Aug-08 18:19:57

What CD said.

funnypeculiar Wed 13-Aug-08 18:22:38

YABU, I think. I would always assume that if someone freecycled something, they didn't want it. Unless they explicitly said something to me.
I've had a few things that I've used for a short period, then freecycled on (eg kids beach shoes; computer desk) Has never occured to me to offer it back to the original freecycler (& I wouldn't have kept details)

LazyLinePainterJane Wed 13-Aug-08 18:23:44

I would assume, when taking something from another freecycler (unless other conversation has passed) that if they are giving something away, they do not want it any more. I would be reluctant to offer it back, TBH because they might think I had wasted their time collecting it. seems the common thing to do on freecycle to pass on things like that, am always seeing messages saying "had these from another freecycler"

misdee Wed 13-Aug-08 18:23:58

no it shouldnt have been offered back to you first.

i know it irks you, and you would like it back, but at the time you gave it away so its no longer yours and you dont have a claim on it anymore.

i would treat yourself to a lovely new one and a pair of shoes as well.

psychomum5 Wed 13-Aug-08 18:26:17

oh no.....gutting then!!!

well, do what misdee said and go buy new.....indulge and also feel good as you have clearly done someone a good deed (even if not the person you thought you were!).

zippitippitoes Wed 13-Aug-08 18:26:43

i think if you give something away you are getting rid and dont expect it back

if you might want it then keep it

TheHedgeWitch Wed 13-Aug-08 18:30:32

Message withdrawn

Quattrocento Wed 13-Aug-08 18:31:52

People are funny about possessions they like though. There's an emotional attachment. I bought a table from a lady once - early victorian but quite light and small - fitted perfectly in my dining room.

When we moved, the table was too small for the new house, so I was going to sell it to a dealer, but then I found the phone number of the lady I bought it from, called her on the offchance, and she bought it back from me (at the same price I'd paid for it, and it had been repolished since). See she'd always regretted selling it.

Podrick Wed 13-Aug-08 18:41:51

If you were trying to get rid of it I would assume you would be the last person to want it back!

It would have been "nice" if the person you gave it to realised you still wanted it - but why on earth would they?!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now