Talk

Advanced search

to have another week off work???? Votes here please

(19 Posts)
lilymolly Wed 13-Aug-08 12:10:10

Hi Been of work 3 weeks now.
Due to hyperemesis resulting in a days admission to hospital weeks ago.

Blood pressure very low and lost 1/2 stone in weight.

Stopped being sick but still knackered.

I have been able to get out of bed but after ten minutes of doing something I feel knackered and have to take to my bed!!

Not really capable of looking after dd 2.7 and if I smell anything at all, I feel sick and am Liable to vomit.

Now I work in sales and hence its quite high pressure. I also work in operating rooms and observe surgey which can be a bit smelly and a bit bloody- cue vomiting

Current sick note runs out on Monday- should I ask for another week and make sure I am 100% better, or return on Monday?

Thanks x

asicsgirl Wed 13-Aug-08 12:11:48

stay off.

hope you feel better soon

hanaflower Wed 13-Aug-08 12:13:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PuppyMonkey Wed 13-Aug-08 12:14:20

See how you feel on Sunday. Ring on Monday if still sick and get another sick note? Sometimes you do recover from these things sooner than you think...

Seeline Wed 13-Aug-08 12:14:34

Make sure you are completely better - I was off work for 2.5 months for the same reason. I only worked in an office but the stress of getting there, and bizarrely the phone ringing made me feel sick until I was completely over it. Work was brill and allowed me back part-time, and if I'd had a bad night, I could just ring in the next morning. I think it was the thought of me vomming everywhere blush

prawnsmum Wed 13-Aug-08 12:19:51

Stay off till your 100% better. I've been signed off for the last 7 weeks with the same thing and im now just starting to feel better. You and your baby are the number 1 priority. Hope you feel better soon x

BouncingTurtle Wed 13-Aug-08 12:21:56

Stay off.

Cappuccino Wed 13-Aug-08 12:27:32

you should always stay off work till you are completely better

I had 6 months off work this year due to being chronically ill and I still feel to some extent that I went back too early. I went back because I felt I should rather because I was fully well enough

and no-one really thanked me for it

the last year has made me realise that nothing is more important than your health; without it everything goes to pot

lilymolly Wed 13-Aug-08 12:39:11

TBH I am not having a good sales year anyway so that may be influencing my decision.

My manager is an idiot, and my sales are behind target, so I can imagine that when I go back I may get a bit of a kick up arse iyswim and hence face more pressure which I cant really deal with.

I plan to have a year off work starting in March (maternity) and prob wont go back tbh.

I know it does not sound like I am a good employer but I have been with the company 6 years and hit target most years. Just this new manager of mine has issues with me for some reason and I am having a bad year.

Put it this way- DP rang him on a Wed night to let him know I was admitted to hospital
(He did not know I was pregnant)
Boss went on holiday on Friday for 2 weeks with No email/text/phone call to either me or dp or collegues to let them know. shock

He has been away for 2 weeks, so even though I am off sick, I have still had to cover my territory thru e mail and phone and allocate jobs to collegues.
He obv could not give a shit about me
So makes me think I could not give a shit about the company iyswim?

Cappuccino Wed 13-Aug-08 12:43:13

the decision is:

am I ill or am I well enough to go to work?

that's the only decision

hotbot Wed 13-Aug-08 13:00:29

agree with cap,
and btw you should stop emails etc , you are sick and covering is his problem not yours...
atsrt now and say the strain of sorting ourt your kob ahs meant that yuo are still too unwell to work, therefore you wont be answering your phone /emails!!!
yuo are either too ill to work - or you are off work, you cant have it both ways!

<looks over top of half moon glasses fiercely>

lilymolly Wed 13-Aug-08 13:06:09

Oh ok then

I am not too ill to sit in bed and reply to emails and take the odd phone call.

World away from driving all over the place, lugging heavy surgical trays into hospitals and attending theatre lists observing surgery.

Ok thought I would get less sympathy after my second post.

hotbot Wed 13-Aug-08 13:10:45

you sound as if you need a break from work, you are unwell, have been signed off and sound as if you're stressing about targets!
Make your boss do his job and sort proper cover
hope my last post didn't come across as unsympathetic , its just from a bosss' perception, if you can do those things at home its a short leap to say you can cover in an office, non?
do yourself a favour and give yourself a complete break. (speaking as someone who knows that your job is thankless, with grumpy consultants)
smile

lilymolly Wed 13-Aug-08 13:17:55

Thanks hotbod

As A boss what do you think about his lack of response to dp telling him I was in hospital?

Oh and did he have any right to take me to one side 4 weeks ago and ask me outright if I was pg cos he had heard rumours hmm and that I MUST tell him as he had a duty of care hmm

I was only 5 weeks gone at that time.
I told him I would tell him if and when I am good and ready grin

hotbot Wed 13-Aug-08 13:26:33

think he sound like a w**er.. , but only my opinion.Unfortuantely so many bosses just aren't people persons are they?
He had the right to ask - you have the right not to tell! he didn't ask the right way tho.i suspect he is talking about h/s re:duty of care, except you dont have to be pregnant to be responsible to an employee for that do you?

lilymolly Wed 13-Aug-08 13:30:09

Fucking duty of care my arse!!

I am a 32 year old educated women who is perfectly capable for looking after my own health and safety ffs angry

It FUCKING amazes me how these people can become line managers without people skills and not only that but he has never even done our job before so how the fuck can he manage us to do it hmm

Anyway off track now.
Will see how I feel on sunday.

<calm down lilymolly>

hotbot Wed 13-Aug-08 13:35:11

hope you feel better soon Lillymolly

lilymolly Wed 13-Aug-08 13:51:47

Thanks hotbot
that rant was not aimed at you btw blush

winemakesmummyclever Wed 13-Aug-08 14:14:03

LM - stay off.

Most companies have policies stating that employees should not be contacted when off sick except in emergencies. Yes, you may well feel up to sending a few emails etc., but you should not feel obliged/be harassed into doing so.

Put a covering letter in with your next sick note along the lines of :

"Dear Tosser Boss,
I am not well enough to try to work from home whilst officially off sick, and the stress of trying to do so is exacerbating my condition. Therefore, I request that I should not be contacted during this period. Yours, blah de blah, LM"

You might want to change the opening bit though grin

Hope you feel better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now