Talk

Advanced search

To believe that a 14-year-old BOY has ZERO business on a 'men's' Olympic team?

(58 Posts)
expatinscotland Mon 11-Aug-08 20:19:51

This diver is a kid.

Under immense pressure.

'Women's' gymnastics had to change the minimum age of athletes after teams started bringing 13-year-olds to the Olympics and the World championships.

Seems to me it needs to be an across the board rule for all sports - no kids under 16.

What a childhood these poor wee ones must have!

LuckySalem Mon 11-Aug-08 20:22:14

Sorry Expat but I don't agree with you.

I think that the lad probably has a normal life apart from training. All kids have hobbies etc and if he is enjoying it then there is no reason he can't be rewarded for all his hard work.

I do however, think he has had a ridiculous amount of pressure on him and that his partner should be told what a team player is!!

paolosgirl Mon 11-Aug-08 20:23:56

It depends how his parents and coaches have handled it and supported him - but if he's good enough to be there, and he wants to be there, and he's not living in a climate of fear should he not get a medal, then why not?

I suppose you could just as easily say no competitive sport until adulthood - which would be ridiculous IMO

tiredemma Mon 11-Aug-08 20:24:10

He is going to be hot in few years, he is so handsome.

wish I was a teen again

paolosgirl Mon 11-Aug-08 20:24:58

Oh - and agree with Lucky re his partner. Very bad form.

expatinscotland Mon 11-Aug-08 20:25:34

There are juniors competitions.

In tennis, there are now minimum ages.

And now in gymnastics.

I don't see why not across the board.

14 is not a man.

laweaselmys Mon 11-Aug-08 20:26:15

I just saw that one the news, his partner was a total twat. I know it's a huge event and he apparently fluffed it but even if you were miffed you still have a duty to support your team not slag the other guy off.

Poor boy. I feel terrible for him, everybody having a go because he came 8th at the Olympics like that isn't something amazing in itself!!

LuckySalem Mon 11-Aug-08 20:26:57

Maybe they should put a limit on the ages but I think he has a right to be on the olympic team.

Whizzz Mon 11-Aug-08 20:27:13

Having heard him interviewd, I'd say he was enjoying himself & seems to be very balanced.

georgimama Mon 11-Aug-08 20:27:14

tiredmama, the olympics have passed me by so I had no idea how old he was when I was idly flicking through BBC website today and I thought he was hot too. I feel very very blush.

beansmum Mon 11-Aug-08 20:27:30

I don't think you can have a normal life and train for the olympics. Adults can choose to have no friends outside their sport, no social life and no time off but a 14yo can't. His parents should have encouraged him to have other hobbies. He could have started serious training when he was a bit older.

WilfSell Mon 11-Aug-08 20:27:38

I agree.

I also feel slightly uncomfortable with the notion that we're waiting for a child to become HOT in a few years, when he's paraded virtually naked in front of the whole world.

Such body-conscious celebrity as he will now face, even if he is an adolescent, is not healthy.

laweaselmys Mon 11-Aug-08 20:27:49

oh, and er, I don't think the Olympics should have a minimum age, it's different from other competitions, it's about who is the best in the world, not about how old they are.

morningpaper Mon 11-Aug-08 20:28:41

BLIMEY was it me or were all of those synchronised men RAVING QUEENS?

bunchoflowers Mon 11-Aug-08 20:28:53

He's not exactly down a coal mine is he?

mrsruffallo Mon 11-Aug-08 20:29:42

I feel the same, expat.
Why couldn't they wait another 4 years?

Waswondering Mon 11-Aug-08 20:30:57

My only concern is that the number of dives he is allowed to execute a day is limited because of the pressure it exerts on his growing body. Can't get around that at the Olympics!

I take my hat off to him - he's a once-in-a-generation guy - few have that talent at that age.

whatdayisit Mon 11-Aug-08 20:32:31

That lad is going to be a star, whether he makes it as a top diver or not. Not sure I'd say "hot", but undeniably attractive and has all the chat, will be a massive TV personality.

Presumably we didn't have anyone else as good i.e. he didn't keep a "man" out of the team and as he said all along it will be good experience for 2012. He never expected to win.

paolosgirl Mon 11-Aug-08 20:32:47

Maybe HE didn't want to wait 4 years - maybe he wanted to experience things now. Who knows what the future might bring? He might lose interest in the sport, might have an injury - all sorts of things. At least he can look back at his young life and say I went to the Olympics and represented my country - how many of us can say that?

olympicsnotfederer Mon 11-Aug-08 20:35:54

I agree with expat.

I will poss get slated for this, but isn't he CAMP? He certainly minces around and it makes me feel uncomfortable since he is a pubescent boy in trunks hmm

I see problems ahead for this boy. It gives me a baaaad feeling.

barnsleybelle Mon 11-Aug-08 20:36:37

I saw him being interviewed with his parents on tv. Both him and his parents are very grounded. They did not seem very pushy and are actually totally and utterly skint from going around the world to chaperone him. The parents have to fully fund themselves to go with him.

He lives for diving and i think no matter his age it's fantastic if it's what he wants to do.

nkf Mon 11-Aug-08 20:37:28

A minimum age wouldn't hurt the sport. Nobody who trains for the Olympics has a "normal" life whatever that is and whatever their age. Weren't Jackson and Adlington fantastic? Lovely lovely race.

Whizzz Mon 11-Aug-08 20:37:39

But the thing was he had to qualify along with everyone else....he didn't just buy a ticket. He had to prove he was good enough to be there, no matter what his age

expatinscotland Mon 11-Aug-08 20:39:01

Sorry but if my 14-year-old tells me she wants to go off and devote her life to say, modelling, and mould her entire life around there, I'm going to have to exercise my role as a parent and say no and keep it part-time or juniors until she's 16 and I no longer have the ability to make that decision for her.

Because I don't think it's healthy for a person who is 14 in the long-run. They can wait a couple of years.

herbietea Mon 11-Aug-08 20:40:09

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now