Talk

Advanced search

to expect a doctor to be at the local family planning clinic?

(8 Posts)
gemdangracie Mon 11-Aug-08 18:37:43

I have just got home from my local family planning clinic as I was going to have my implant taken out of my arm so we ccan TTC.

Only to be told after sitting there for well over an hour that there are no doctors there for then next 4 weeks to remove it!!

Apparently also the nurse who helps to run the clinic is not trained to take them out (bearing in mind that this is the same nurse who put the f@*$#?g thing in, in january)

I am fuming that 1: they couldn't be bothered to tell me when i booked in at 3.30 pm and 2: for finding out the nurse who put it in isn't even trained!

AIBU?

muggglewump Mon 11-Aug-08 18:44:42

I assume you told them what you were going for when you made the appointment?
If so YANBU

nooka Mon 11-Aug-08 18:54:05

I suspect that removing implants is more complicated/skilled than putting them in, and further training is required. Family planning tends to be nurse led, so I'm not surprised that a doctor isn't always there, but if you said what you were going for then you should have been informed that it wasn't possible. Walk in clinics seem to be frequently badly organised IME - certainly when I managed complaints for a PCT we had a lot of complaints about them - usually related to poor communication.

gemdangracie Mon 11-Aug-08 18:59:38

Yeah i went in 4 weeks ago and made the appointment for today to have it removed and had an assessment they then gave me the appointment. So went in today for the actual removal and was told they couldn't do it as there are no doctors for another 4 weeks, so i now have to wait another 4 weeks to have it taken out!! Talk about take the p*.. another 4 weeks before we can activly TTC!

kama Mon 11-Aug-08 19:17:24

Message withdrawn

misdee Mon 11-Aug-08 19:18:42

can you see your usual GP to have it removed?

nooka Mon 11-Aug-08 19:28:15

That does indeed sound very annoying. Is it worth ringing up the PCT's PALS service and finding out if there is someone else who can remove it for you?

gemdangracie Mon 11-Aug-08 20:45:14

misdee- I spoke to my GP 6 weeks ago and most surgeries have changed their policies regarding implants and the coil, that you now have to have them put in & removed at the family planning clinic! Which is very annoying as my GP could have done it 6 weeks.

nooka- my and dh have decided now that we will wait until my next appointment in 4 weeks as its not worth all the hassle of ringing every week for a cancellation!

Hopefully though I will fall PG before the end of dec as i dont really fancy another december dc...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now