Talk

Advanced search

for me and DS to meet up with an online friend who I've never met 200 miles away and stay over?

(12 Posts)
ILikeYourSleeves Mon 11-Aug-08 14:38:54

Hi, I wasn't sure where to post for advice but figured here would be good to get some opinions. I have been chatting to an online friend (who I met on another board, one for infertility) for approx 3 years ish now. We get on well, have lots in common and now both have DS's only a few months apart. We have said on a few occasions that we should meet up and now we have planned a date to do just that. We live miles apart (>400 miles) so we agreed to meet halfway. I have no problems doing this or meeting her as I feel I know her a lot now and have been through so much with her, so I am sure it would go fine. However, DH isn't keen on me and DS staying over in a hotel with this woman and her DS. He thinks she could be 'a weirdo' cos we met on the net etc and he is concerned mainly as I will have DS with me. He said fine if I am by myself but I said one of the points of us meeting is for DS's to meet too!

I could drive there and back within a day no problem but then again it would be nice not to subject DS to about 5 hours travelling in a day either (but I suppose it would be broken up and not all done in one go) and make more of a day of it.

Just wondering what you would do in this situation?

ILikeYourSleeves Mon 11-Aug-08 14:39:55

PS My DS is 9 months old

zippitippitoes Mon 11-Aug-08 14:41:18

well it sounds fine to me

QOD Mon 11-Aug-08 14:41:19

LOL!
I did this when my dd was 3 1\2 - I flew to AMERICA from the UK and stayed in her house for 2 weeks.
I had a back up plan, a friends friend in the USA had my no's & I hers.
To be honest, as long as you aren't sharing a room, whats the risk??

Take your normal care, it's amazing to finally meet the best friend y ou've never met in the flesh.

I "met" mine online thru a mb & we are still in constant contact 7 yrs on.

ENJOY!

QOD Mon 11-Aug-08 14:41:43

LOL!
I did this when my dd was 3 1\2 - I flew to AMERICA from the UK and stayed in her house for 2 weeks.
I had a back up plan, a friends friend in the USA had my no's & I hers.
To be honest, as long as you aren't sharing a room, whats the risk??

Take your normal care, it's amazing to finally meet the best friend y ou've never met in the flesh.

I "met" mine online thru a mb & we are still in constant contact 7 yrs on.

ENJOY!

ipanemagirl Mon 11-Aug-08 14:42:22

Have you spoken on the phone lots of times?
Could you have separate rooms just in case it doesn't feel right to share?

It doesn't seem to risky to me considering some people get married having only known each other a couple of weeks!

rookiemater Mon 11-Aug-08 14:44:29

I think it sounds fine but then I met my DH through the internet !

Sidge Mon 11-Aug-08 14:44:56

Heck I would go, and stay in the hotel. Are you planning to share a room too? I would rather have my own room if it were me.

I went and stayed with a friend I met on another parenting website, we'd chatted online and then on the phone many times and then I went to hers for a weekend and she has since been to mine. We got on like a house on fire and she's now a good friend.

more Mon 11-Aug-08 14:48:02

Sounds like a great adventure. It is nice that your husband is concerned about your son's wellbeing. Giggling a bit to myself about his concern for you though wink.

You are meeting on neutral grounds, so you both have the option of "getting away" from the other person if needed. I could understand it if you were going to actually stay at her house.

Hope you all enjoy it.

wannaBe Mon 11-Aug-08 14:54:42

neither of you is being unreasonable really IMO.

From your perspective, you have "known" this woman for three years, and presumably she has been consistent in the things she tells you etc so you don't have reason to believe that she is an axe-weilding maniac?wink.

From your dh's perspective though, there really are a lot of nutters on the internet, and if you've never met someone in person then you really don't know whether they are who they say they are. And while imo it's unlikely that this woman is a nutter, your dh is only looking out for you. I would definitely have separate rooms etc though.

And as for your ds's meeting, um... they're only 9 mo so they really won't know what's going on, wink.

HuwEdwards Mon 11-Aug-08 14:58:47

My friend invited a woman who she met and chatted to online for some months, to her 40th birthday party.

Woman turned up, tried to molest my friend's nephew (17 at the time) and got so pissed she started doing this really sexually explicit dancing, then passed out on the floor. Friend spent 2 hours reviving her with coffee so she could throw her out.

BuwchBywiog Mon 11-Aug-08 16:54:44

I use a couple of heart defect forums and have met up with many of the mums and their kids, they're all as loopy as anything but I didn't expect anything else tbh wink go and enjoy yourself, sleep in seperate rooms if you feel more at ease

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now