Talk

Advanced search

to have wanted to shout at a woman in the cinema?

(16 Posts)
noitsgrubby Mon 11-Aug-08 13:28:06

.....she brought all her children aged about 4, 5, 7 and 9 to watch The Dark Knight, 8.30 start. At least 2 of them got upset and cried, she didn't take them out. I don't care about the noise but I care deeply about those poor mites having to sit through all that violence, I'm still worrying about them now....

onepieceoflollipop Mon 11-Aug-08 13:29:24

Is it a PG film?

Iklboo Mon 11-Aug-08 13:31:08

It's a 12A - parent's responsibility to ensure film is suitable. IMHO those children were WAY too young to watch it as it's very dark and violent.
Me & DH reckon it was only granted a 12A cos of all the merchandise being bandied about

greenandpleasant Mon 11-Aug-08 13:31:10

YABU. You SHOULD have shouted at her wink

I was shocked at the 12A rating for this film, it is way too much for the under-10s at the least. As well as mentally scarring her kids, their crying would spoil everyone else's enjoyment of the film too. Selfish cow.

By the way, I would have wanted to shout at her but not done so too.

lilyloo Mon 11-Aug-08 13:32:20

Have seen the advert for this film and no way would i take any kids under 12 to see it!

noitsgrubby Mon 11-Aug-08 13:35:27

She was yelling at them herself and grabbing at them really roughly in the queue, I kept thinking 'You're not taking them to see Batman surely?!'...you just can't say anything though can you....it's impossible...

OrmIrian Mon 11-Aug-08 13:37:57

Does seem odd. I have an 11 yr old who'd want to see it and if that was the only way he'd see it I might take my younger ones too (9yr old would be OK and 5yr old would just cuddle up to me and hide his eyes if it got too much) but what was her excuse? As far as I can see with children that age no-one of them would have been that interested.

JuneBugJen Mon 11-Aug-08 13:37:57

Go have a chat with Ian Duncan-Smith. (how you would do that I would never know!)
He was on Jeremy Vine about this one saying it was too adult a film for under 12s.

noitsgrubby Mon 11-Aug-08 13:44:57

The other thing about it is it's so bloody bleak, it's an awful picture of the world. I want mine to hang on to their mainly sunny, optimistic view of things for as long as possible. The relentless, repetitive nihilism...I could go on

babyignoramus Mon 11-Aug-08 17:50:23

I used to work in a cinema and I think the advent of the 12A marked the death of the babysitter. So many people bringing their kids to completely unsuitable films just because they could and it's cheaper to get them a ticket than to pay someone else for the evening. I remember seeing a four year old in I, Robot - bored shitless! Used to piss me off.

muggglewump Mon 11-Aug-08 17:56:50

It's the kind of thing my almost 7yr old would love but I'll download it for her
I'd have had two problems in your situation:
1. Kids are scared, take them out as it's mean not to
2. It's disturbing others, unless a kiddy film with loads of noisy children, you owe it to others to take them out.

YANBU

TenaciousG Mon 11-Aug-08 18:08:53

I hate the 12a cert, it is a load of bollocks. I remember being really angry angry angry watching LOTR with all these stupid people who had brought quite tiny children to a three hour long film; there was a constant procession back and forth to the toilet, sweet stand etc. Apart from that (ie my selfish reasons wink), it had decpitations and stabbings in the eye with arrows and all sorts, completely unsuitable for LOs imo. I just wanted to shout 'get it on DVD, you feckless fuckers!!!!!'

So in short, yanbu. grin

catweazle Mon 11-Aug-08 18:35:21

Doesn't the cinema have a responsibility to refuse admission to very small children to unsuitable films, especially a late showing?

JuneBugJen Mon 11-Aug-08 19:21:16

Babyignoramous...I was bored shitless at I Robot as well!

babyignoramus Tue 12-Aug-08 18:03:06

catweazle - no they don't - it's entirely at parent's discretion - the cinema can only refuse access to people who are legally underage for certificated films. fwiw, one of the reasons the 12A came about was because of the amount of parents complaining that their children couldn't go into 12 rated films and they thought it should be up to them.

Milliways Tue 12-Aug-08 18:05:08

I was listening to a censor talking about this film on LBC. He said 12A=12+ as if it was suitable for younger children it would be given a PG. 12A just allows parents to make informed choices as some kids are more mature.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now