Talk

Advanced search

to expect a saturday assistant to not to sit down during her 3 hour shift and do the shelving?

(12 Posts)
seekinginspiration Sat 09-Aug-08 16:50:29

When I got a saturday job (many years ago) in a shop it was obvious I would spend most of my time putting the products on the shelf (in my case a pet shop: so putting food on shelves etc). Today the new saturday girl has come up with every excuse why she can't do the shelving or folding: her fingers hurt after an hour, she had to sit down last week because she'd been to the osteopath before she came in. Unfortunately we need a passport to work where I work otherwise the ancient staff, over 40, who stand and shelve for 7 hours EVERY DAY, would be clamerouring for willing EU worker. What planet are our 16 years on?

ThatBigGermanPrison Sat 09-Aug-08 16:54:36

<<snurk>>

I remember being 16 - remember, she's probably never in her life had to work so hard. Make sure she is wearing appropriate footwear - they usually don't. A pair of Clarks school shoes would be ideal!

lazaroulovespastries Sat 09-Aug-08 16:56:08

She's not up the duff is she?

SummatAnNowt Sat 09-Aug-08 17:02:42

Don't you mean what planet is this specific 16 year old from.

seekinginspiration Sat 09-Aug-08 17:03:36

lazaroulovspasties - Ha,ha,ha good question, or you might be right. Does being pregnant hurt when your fingers when you fold paper? Not something I experienced myself - sickness, tiredness, weird food craving but fingers were A OK.

kslatts Sat 09-Aug-08 17:11:22

YANBU - I worked in a florist as a saturday job and worked really hard for very little money.

spicemonster Sat 09-Aug-08 17:19:21

Tell her that's what the job is. I'm sure you can find someone else to do it if she won't.

Having said that, I used to get irritated with shoppers in Sainsbury's who'd take the stuff off the shelves just after I'd put it on. I used to point out that it would be more efficient if they'd just take it straight out of the trolley

dilemma456 Sun 10-Aug-08 09:19:10

Message withdrawn

BouncingTurtle Sun 10-Aug-08 09:24:33

Saturday worker here from 15 - used to haul big trays of beauty products, boxes of formula, baby food and nappies and toilet rolls up a very narrow and steep set of stairs several times a day (I worked in drugstore), 8 hour shifts! Again for little money.
YANBU.

juneybean Sun 10-Aug-08 21:24:33

I used to work 42.5 hours for £40 when I was 16 (modern apprenticeship)

SueW Sun 10-Aug-08 21:57:50

OMG I suspect saying that I used to work 9-6 (one hour lunch) for £8.37 a day would give my age away wouldn't it? (It's not exactly a secret anyway....)

I remember looking at ads in a temp agency window when I really needed to get some cash in pocket ASAP post DD and hearing some teenager walk of the agency saying 'It's just not worth it for £5.50 an hour'. Clearly she didn't have mortgage/gas/electricity to pay for.

Surely an EU worker with an EU passport is just as employable as your unwilling 16yo? Or do you need a British passport? And, if so, how do they get away with only employing Brits?

juneybean Sun 10-Aug-08 23:09:30

shock £5.50 for a teenager! She should consider that highly paid, other 16 year olds are only on £3.40 these days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now