Talk

Advanced search

to resent having to ask for carrier bags now in Tesco?

(232 Posts)
Ewemoo Fri 08-Aug-08 21:13:09

Our local Tesco has stopped supplying carrier bags at the checkouts and you now have to ask for them. The problem is I can't help but ask for the bags in a really grumpy and pissed off way. Why should I have to ask for bags like I've committed a heinous crime by failing to bring my own. I understand the idea behind it and I do my bit by recycling all my carrier bags. Why don't Tesco do their bit by reducing plastic packaging instead? I know that truthfully I abu but for some reason it really really annoys me.

expatinscotland Fri 08-Aug-08 21:15:36

YABU.

It's a long time coming.

Just carry bags round with you in your boot or even in your handbag.

In most countries, you've had to purchase them for years now.

We're really behind in this.

I find resuable bags so much easier to pack, too, and the handles don't dig into your hand.

Hecate Fri 08-Aug-08 21:15:55

<slap>
Very unreasonable of you!
Bring your own.
grin

beansprout Fri 08-Aug-08 21:16:07

But forgetting your bags is not a heinous crime (and no-one is suggesting that it is!!) smile

unknownrebelbang Fri 08-Aug-08 21:16:16

YABU.

Wait til they start charging for them.

CuckooClockWorkOrange Fri 08-Aug-08 21:16:55

Try living in Ireland. 22cents for a carrier bag. I have cloth bags everywhere now.

charlotte121 Fri 08-Aug-08 21:16:56

tis anoying... i can understand why their doing it but its still a bit inconvenient when you forget to bring any. slightly hipocritical with the packaging too. we have to stop using plastic bags but they carry on using loads of unessicery packaging!!! something slighty unjust about that IMO

kitkat9 Fri 08-Aug-08 21:18:12

not living in the uk at the moment so need to ask - was this an all of a sudden thing or did they warn customers they would be stopping them?

Don't let it annoy you - just get into the habit of not needing to ask! Take your own canvas bags, or have crates in the boot of your car to load your shopping into. I'm afraid I think YABU, but I can understand your frustation.

also agree that all supermarket should reduce the amount of packaging used.

flowerybeanbag Fri 08-Aug-08 21:19:40

I don't see what's so annoying about having to ask. You do get them if you ask don't you? No one thinks you are committing a heinous crime.

Most plastic packaging is recyclable now anyway isn't it?

Snaf Fri 08-Aug-08 21:20:54

YABU but, yes, the supermarkets need to sort out packaging on their side too.

I don't use those stupid little plastic fruit & veg bags either but got funny looks, tuts and sighs this morning when I put (shock, horror) two loose limes on the conveyor... hmm Hypocritical arses.

mrswoolf Fri 08-Aug-08 21:20:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

chipmonkey Fri 08-Aug-08 21:26:13

Snaf, you have to watch those limes, you see, they run off by themselves if they're not bagged!hmm
Have to say, as Cuckoo says, we've been charged tax on bags here in Ireland for ages now, and I always keep a little shopping bag in my handbag now and bring cloth bags to do my weekly shop. And if I forget my bags on the weekly shop I have to put all my shopping unbagged into the trolley, put it in the car piece by piece and then take it back out of the car piece by piece as well. So annoying that I rarely forget them!

fishie Fri 08-Aug-08 21:26:22

the whole thing is mad.

tesco don't want to give bags because it saves them money and they can sell their horrible hessian things. m&s ditto but nicer bags.

other supermarkets give bags away because otherwise people complain.

meanwhile all the small shops where i live give away thousands of blue carrier bags a day and they blow around all over the place.

i do love nice cloth bags though and always have one about my person.

noonki Fri 08-Aug-08 21:27:35

I remember being asked in Asda, all of two years ago... why are you bringing your own bags?

the supermarkets are total hypo -shites about this issue. You should bring your own bags, and all their packaging should be biodegradable

CuckooClockWorkOrange Fri 08-Aug-08 21:31:10

Chipmonkey, I have done that! the loading and unloading one thing at a time...... clever isn't it?

Overmydeadbody Fri 08-Aug-08 21:31:16

Snaf get yourself some of these

Snaf Fri 08-Aug-08 21:33:38

Oh, don't give me an excuse to spend more money - a mate has one of those onya bags and loves it.

GetOrfMoiLand Fri 08-Aug-08 21:34:20

There is a certain irony though in Tesco making you feel guilty about using carrier bags when you see the amount of completely unnecessary packaging they use for fruit etc.

I do take my own bags to the shop, though think I look slightly deranged walking round with about a dozen of screwed up carrier bags festooned around me.

love the way tesco have turned it into money spinner/more advertising with their branded tesco hessian/compact/whatever bags

<bastards>

Overmydeadbody Fri 08-Aug-08 21:35:39

I know, all the colours make me want to buy more and more of them!

Here's a better website

I have started getting them for friends and family as birthday presents and they (mostly) love them.

TeacherSaysSo Fri 08-Aug-08 21:38:04

YAB totally U, its excellent, at last shoppers are being made to think. its easy to say that the retailers are not doing enough, but that's just an excuse for you to do nothing!

who cares if they make money on the hessian, its better than all those turtles etc suffocating on jellyfish like carrier bags!!

ravenAK Fri 08-Aug-08 21:38:20

I think the answer is to strip off all unnecessary packaging as you load your shopping into your own (cotton) bags. Then hand it to the checkout person with a bright smile & say 'I won't be needing this'.

expatinscotland Fri 08-Aug-08 21:39:08

we bought about 20 of the 99p reusable Lidl bags when we moved out of Edinburgh and they are FAB! great value for money.

the ILs gave me a fold up and snap shut black Tesco one i always keep in my bag, as well as the burlap one and a big green one which live in the bottom of DD2's buggy.

i have a poncy I Am Not a Plastic Bag one and one of the Cath Kidston ones that i use instead of a handbag.

bergentulip Fri 08-Aug-08 21:42:29

Just have a cheap cloth bag in the bottom of your handbag. At all times. That way you also have a bag if you pop into the s.market unexpectedly.

YABU.

It's about bloody time supermarkets started doing this!

objectivity Fri 08-Aug-08 21:43:09

I DO recycle my bags - as bin liners at home or doggy poo bags. Thus, I tend to have none left to take to supermarket each week and so I get penalised despite behind the scenes recycling efforts.

In France we just loaded straight to trolley and then to boot. Nobody does that here.

Overmydeadbody Fri 08-Aug-08 21:43:49

ravenAK I do that! People give me funny looks.

And I simply refure to buy and fruit or veg that is all wrapped up in layers of plastic trays and packagind.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now