Talk

Advanced search

to really hate tourists?

(125 Posts)
SheikYerbouti Fri 08-Aug-08 13:04:05

They are the bane of my life.

Yes, yes, yes, I KNOW they plough millions of pounds into our local economy and that they have the right to invade my home town EVERY DAY OF THE FARKING YEAR.

But WHY do they have to stand in the middle of the pavement in their shorts and backpacks holing maps and getting in the way. I saw one today in pissing hiking gear - in the centre of Bath fgs. I know it's hilly here, but one does not need crampons and a walking pole for scaling the dizzy heights of BHS. (he wasn't really wearing crampons, btw. I am exaggerating)

They get off the park and ride that I use to get to and from work and they just STAND THERE. Never do they step aside.

Yes, I know IABVU, but I just had to get it off my chest because they all stand in groups squinting up at things and getting in the way grin

scorpio1 Fri 08-Aug-08 13:05:12

YANBU at all

from someone who lives in a cornish town

SheikYerbouti Fri 08-Aug-08 13:07:12

I donl;t mind them being there per se, just they way they always stand en masse in inconvenient places gets right on my tulip

expatinscotland Fri 08-Aug-08 13:07:59

YANBU

the only thing good about htem is their purses.

laweaselmys Fri 08-Aug-08 13:08:12

I used to work in a coffee shop that was also a listed historic building and all these blardy french kids would troop in every day to ask us questions about it. I stopped asking them anything and would just hold out my hands for their questionnaire and pen and fill it in for them because it was so annoying having to explain and spell everything out over and over again. (well, except for the date over the door which I made them go and look for. It's not hard after all!!)

badgermonkey Fri 08-Aug-08 13:09:20

YANBU - the funniest thing is the way people apparently think normal laws of physics don't apply, and do things like walking out in front of moving cars, because you can't get run over on holiday hmm

PhyllidaPoisson Fri 08-Aug-08 13:10:00

Come and move near me, Sheiky.
No fecker in their right mind would want to come here for pleasure. grin

SheikYerbouti Fri 08-Aug-08 13:10:30

I akso think lots of folk forget that peolpe actiually liove where they are visiting.

This is why I only go inot town for work purposes.

JuneBugJen Fri 08-Aug-08 13:11:19

You live in Bath - there are millions of f*ing tourists there.

Come and live in Clifton Village in Bristol. Its like Bath without the bum bag brigade!

SheikYerbouti Fri 08-Aug-08 13:11:42

Lol PP.

littlerach Fri 08-Aug-08 13:12:29

Sheik,
my BIL (american) visited Bath when dh and I got married, as my SIL ewanted to show him where we'd lived.

He fell over by The Grapes, whilst vidoeing the lovely buildings, wearing his hiking gear!!!!

SIL PHSL, as did we when they got home.

Then all he went on about was the old cobbled raods. Apparently in USA they would use proper tarmac. And the narrow roads. And the small cars. And how small Stonehenge is.

Actaully, he hasn't been back over since then.

SheikYerbouti Fri 08-Aug-08 13:14:01

Does anyone remeber a programme on TV a few yaesrt ago where there was some bloke who used to walk about with his brolly in the air shouting "FRAAAAMES RICKAAAARDS"?

I see him in town with his homies a lot

SheikYerbouti Fri 08-Aug-08 13:15:05

REofle LR

He's lucky he didn;t get his head kicked in, falling over outside the Grapes in his hiking gear.

Overmydeadbody Fri 08-Aug-08 13:15:29

I don't hate tourists, but they are farking annoying and my town is full of them all year round

Especially annoying is that they seem to forget that some people actually live here and are not on holiday Grrrrr

Overmydeadbody Fri 08-Aug-08 13:18:15

and I refuse to wait patiently any more while some tourist takes ten minutes photographing his wife and kids outside a phone booth or church blocking up the whole pavement in the process. If I did that I would never get anywhere.

Earlybird Fri 08-Aug-08 13:18:25

Presumably this a momentary height-of-the-tourist-season whinge?

Without tourists you could walk down the street more easily, but I suspect if they suddenly stopped coming (and pumping money into the local economy), many of the things you like about the town would change irrevocably for the worse.

snowleopard Fri 08-Aug-08 13:22:20

I'm in edinburgh and I quite like them, but it is more seasonal not so much all year, and I don't live in the centre. I've had friends who've lived in the centre and in August they sometimes literally couldn't get out of their front door for the thronging hordes.

I like it when some beshorted elderly texan or whatever points to some totally bogstandard nearby building going "my, is that the castle??" I like helping them with a cheery smile and letting them coo over DS [odd because I'm a right sociophobe normally]

SheikYerbouti Fri 08-Aug-08 13:34:40

we have them all year round.

bubblerock Fri 08-Aug-08 13:37:01

Count yourself lucky you're not here in Blackpool - It's punk weekend this weekend, the hair gets bigger, brighter & spikier every year!!

Overmydeadbody Fri 08-Aug-08 13:39:11

Earlybrid it is all year round here, and I don't really mind them but they seem to forget that not everyone is a tourist lol

Overmydeadbody Fri 08-Aug-08 13:41:51

punk weekend sounds cool bubblerock!

If it weren't for the tourists I could probably afford to have the occasional coffee and cake in town, or actaully afford my rent, so they don't only benefit the economy Earlybird.

SheikYerbouti Fri 08-Aug-08 13:46:11

Indeed OMDB

Same for us.

I know that h8igh cost of living does go much deeper than that, BUT it certainly doesn't help

bubblerock Fri 08-Aug-08 13:54:47

It is pretty colourful - we popped to town earlier and DS2 was just pointing at all the huge Mohicans! blush

hannahsaunt Fri 08-Aug-08 14:00:33

As one who is Edinburgh born and bred, I LOVE the tourist seasons in Edinburgh. It's fun, it's colourful, it's laidback - yes, every day life goes on and there can be delays or hiccups, but life's too short really...and I never remember which way to look for cars when overseas blush.

I live in Aberdeen at the moment and it's quite dull in the tourist season as it's not a touristy place. I miss the festival atmosphere and go home whenever I possibly can.

GetOrfMoiLand Fri 08-Aug-08 14:05:08

Used to live in a tourist town and hated it with a vengeance. Why do all tourists walk so slooowly.

And they feed the seagulls.

Grrrr.

(why do I sound so old??)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now