Talk

Advanced search

To want to reintroduce the letter "T" into the English language and to

(59 Posts)
MrsSchadenfreude Thu 07-Aug-08 21:20:46

stamp on the DDs' little feet every time I hear the dreaded glottal stop. Sorry, that should be glo'al stop.

Farkin Milton Keynes.

BreeVanderCampLGJ Thu 07-Aug-08 21:27:06

<<shudder>>

We are constantly pulling DS(7) up on this, we pretend we can't understand him.

He has been in a holiday/activity camp for the last two weeks and it has escalated.

This week he has started to speak, stop, consider his options and then ennuciate beautifully. grin

TheLadyofShalott Thu 07-Aug-08 21:29:21

DH's car has a satnav that loses the final 't' - "Turn righ' at the roundabou'..."
Drives him nuts.

thisisyesterday Thu 07-Aug-08 21:33:20

haha, you are NOT being unreasonable.

I am not looking forward to ds starting school, he speaks quite beautifully atm and I know it'll go downhill

LynetteScavo Thu 07-Aug-08 21:36:17

I have been known to snap "Little has 2 t's in it!" at DS1. although his accent has improved hugely since he moved schools.

Alambil Thu 07-Aug-08 21:38:01

I'm just down the road from MK and force DS to speak prop-ly (properly!)

knockedup Thu 07-Aug-08 21:42:48

chocolate bu'ons!

Califrau Thu 07-Aug-08 21:47:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

May2December Thu 07-Aug-08 21:56:26

I love dialect and local pronunciations, however, do agree that it is good to teach them when to speak in dialect and when to stick to RP. My (Glaswegian) friend went for elecution (sp) lessons as a child and now speaks (quite posh) not quite like the queen, probably more prince Harry. I think we should speak in our own regional accents (sometimes - with mates) but not broadly or in slang (in some situations).

TheCrackFox Thu 07-Aug-08 21:56:43

Quite simple - move to Scotland. We like to add extra constanants wherever possible.

InvisiblePsychomumVowelThief Thu 07-Aug-08 21:59:45

can I add in the need to ensure H is also taken note of.....

with a DD called Holly, it is a real PITA when people drop their H'sangry

not good for my blood pressure considering my need to correct them all eitherblush

bluegreysky Thu 07-Aug-08 22:03:03

lol so true.
which letters get dropped the most?

Tidgypuds Thu 07-Aug-08 22:05:51

Its a good job you dont live near Chorley then a few of my relatives are from there and it makes me cringe with
Tahlet (toilet)
Wah her (Water)
Charley (Chorley)
Boccle (Bottle)
Liccle (Little)
Buz (Bus) The list goes on and on and on.

MrsSchadenfreude Thu 07-Aug-08 22:19:00

No objection to dialect, but this is just SLOPPY! <shouting>

They will speak RP, they will speak RP...

<slopes off, ranting, aware that she is fighting a losing battle>

BreeVanderCampLGJ Thu 07-Aug-08 22:20:12

Mrs SF you are not, you just have to be consistently boring about it.

MrsSchadenfreude Thu 07-Aug-08 22:22:23

We use your not understanding trick as well, LGJ. DD2 then shouts - wha' doan you understand?

DH is threatening boarding school.

BreeVanderCampLGJ Thu 07-Aug-08 22:27:26

wha' doan you understand? <<snort>> <<shock>> and sympathy all in equal measure.

DS has been granted a place at a very exclusive local rock choir. He is delighted. It is hard to get a place, but not if you apply a year in advance. wink

They are very strong on ennunciation. He does not realise he has been out manouvered. grin

Heifer Thu 07-Aug-08 22:32:59

It's not a new thing though as I can remember my mum often telling me, it's not bu''er it is BUTTER, and that it needs to be in a buTTer dish.... grin

And EVERY week whilst listening to the top 50 on the radio on Sunday evenings, she would almost shout at the DJ, is it NOT number for'y nine , it is forTy nine and then 48,47, 39, 30 etc. In the end we got sick of her rantings and only listened to the top twenTy....

I am now following the trend and often find myself raising an eyebrow and saying sorry? at DD (4.5), she knows what I mean and then says the word (whatever is may be) properly...

So got H and Ts sorted, now what can I do about her wirral (soft scouse) accent she has aquired since December... grin wink

ipanemagirl Thu 07-Aug-08 22:36:16

YANBU
But remember King Canute?

MrsSchadenfreude Thu 07-Aug-08 22:36:24

We are moving overseas in a couple of years (maybe less) so they will probably end up speaking American, acquired from an international school in the arse end of nowhere.

But until then, I will soldier on.

Sidge Thu 07-Aug-08 22:38:32

Where I live it's all "I fink" and "wha'ever" and "be'er". Ugh.

edam Thu 07-Aug-08 22:41:47

We lived in Yorkshire when I was little. There was an occasion when my (soft Southerner) mother and I had a huge row because she kept asking me for the batter and I kept thrusting the mixing bowl with freshly made batter at her...

edam Thu 07-Aug-08 22:42:22

(I genuinely didn't understand what she wanted, wasn't being deliberately irritating!)

kiskidee Thu 07-Aug-08 22:48:53

DD lost her Ts a couple weeks ago. I am still weeping, and looking around for them.

MrsSchadenfreude Thu 07-Aug-08 23:00:44

Would tha' 'ave bin the bu'er she wan'ed then, Edam? grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now