Talk

Advanced search

to think cots are xxxx

(20 Posts)
tab1 Tue 05-Aug-08 21:53:01

my dd is 13 months old and never still, she is currently rolling round and round her cot in her sleep and banging into the bars, she has woken herself up twice already by headbutting the bars hard and crying and i had to get out of the bath both times to settle her, aaagh!

Kewcumber Tue 05-Aug-08 21:54:17

put her in a soft sided travel cot.

callmeovercautious Tue 05-Aug-08 21:55:39

They grow out of the rolling, Kewcumbers suggestion is good for a few nights peace and quiet.

mumeeee Tue 05-Aug-08 21:57:10

Use cot bumpers.

spicemonster Tue 05-Aug-08 21:58:48

My DS does this and he's nearly 18 months. He cannot sleep without bumpers (and he kneads them when he's going to sleep too). Also my friend's baby got her leg caught in the bars the other week which wasn't very nice.

Judd Tue 05-Aug-08 22:00:07

we had this with DD! We used a cot bumper but adapted it a little. We tucked the bottom long edge around the matress so she couldn't get her head underneath it and then tied the straps half way up the bars. I think we sewed a couple of extra straps on to keep it really secure. Don't know if that will help....it worked for us !

theSuburbanDryad Tue 05-Aug-08 22:01:50

Second travel cot suggestion. Ds is in one now as he would climb out of his wooden cot and get really upset whenever he was put in it!

Travel cot much better IMO!

elmoandella Tue 05-Aug-08 22:01:59

they massive cot bumpers . 3 joined together in our house.

thomsc Tue 05-Aug-08 22:02:34

A friend bought some fleece (blanket sized i guess) and rolled it up to make some bumpers that fix on with velcro'ed straps. Seem to work for her wiggly ds. In fact I wish i'd made some. At almost 2, my ds has stopped his wiggling. mostly!

Plus, what Kewcumber said.

tab1 Tue 05-Aug-08 22:05:34

she sleeps well in her trvel cot but didn't think they were for regular use. I have recently removed her cot bumpers as they say to remove when child is standing and dd had started putting her foot on bumper to climb out, she is a climber as well as a roller.

spicemonster Tue 05-Aug-08 22:06:58

How hard are your bumpers? Mine are pretty soggy so they don't really help him get up any higher than the mattress.

tab1 Tue 05-Aug-08 22:11:14

quite firm, helped her pull up a bit.

PortBlacksandResident Tue 05-Aug-08 22:19:56

Agree with Kew et al.

DS1 hated his cot and from 6 months on wouldn't sleep in it. He used to bang his head on the bars and get his leg trapped etc.

So every night between that and going into a big bed (14 months - a bit early but....) he slept in his travel cot which he loved.

catweazle Tue 05-Aug-08 22:22:40

Well my 16 mo rolls non stop and falls out of a 6ft 6 in wide bed hmm

tab1 Tue 05-Aug-08 23:31:59

whats the earliest they can go in a proper bed with a guard up?

Elkat Tue 05-Aug-08 23:40:51

My youngest DD was in a bed by 13 months. It is in the corner of the room, with two guards guarding the other ends (and the bed end) oh and if by some miracle she did fall out of bed (which she did a few times) we had a trundle bed underneath to catch her. She never woke from falling onto the trundle mattress which we just pulled out every night. HTH

TheHedgeWitch Wed 06-Aug-08 00:03:37

Message withdrawn

hardworker Wed 06-Aug-08 19:05:44

Depending which travel cot you have, some cot matresses fit perfectly so there is the comfort of a regular cot.

TheArmadillo Wed 06-Aug-08 19:11:04

mine was on a matress on the floor by 9-10 months. They can't hurt themselves on that and stops you worrying about bed guards etc. Once ds stopped occassionally rolling off that in his sleep (after a couple of months) we put him on a low bed (cot bed, low setting, no sides) and then before 2 was in proper full sized bed. Never fallen out. No bed guards.

He hated his cot so I didn't see any point leaving him in there.

Get them out if they don't like it.

I am biased though as don't like cots particularly and think children should be out of them as early as poss.

ImnotMamaGbutsheLovesMe Wed 06-Aug-08 19:11:40

Too old for cot bumpers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now