Talk

Advanced search

PARAMEDICS

(15 Posts)
hardworker Tue 05-Aug-08 21:11:03

To think a paramedic was wrong to suggest we should have given a dose of calpol instead of calling for help when a small child went lethargic and turned blue? Were no previous signs of illness, it came on sudden.

crazymummy84 Tue 05-Aug-08 21:25:57

YANBU. What a twat. Did he not listen when you told him what had happened. You would have been stupid NOT to call an ambulance and try and medicate dher yourself in those circumstances. I would also take the child to A&E even if it has passed to be on the safe side.

Ceolas Tue 05-Aug-08 21:26:57

Think 999 would have been my insinct in those circumstances.

giraffescantdancethetango Tue 05-Aug-08 21:27:06

omg what an idiot

watsthestory Tue 05-Aug-08 21:28:03

Message withdrawn

watsthestory Tue 05-Aug-08 21:28:35

Message withdrawn

LynetteScavo Tue 05-Aug-08 21:28:38

was this your DC, hardworker? Are they OK?

ceebee74 Tue 05-Aug-08 21:31:45

Agree - completely wrong - they are trained to treat the patient, even if they think they shouldn't have been called. Believe me they get called out for a lot less whereas yours sounds like a genuine case.

Write to the head office and complain so it can be investigated and hopefully the paramedic will not do the same again (if you don't complain, nothing will get done to stop him doing the same to someone else).

Yorkiegirl Tue 05-Aug-08 21:34:46

Message withdrawn

hardworker Tue 05-Aug-08 21:38:21

Hi, thanks for replies. Didnt think we were, but, just wanted to hear other opinions.

It was a friend that I was with, both nannies, was her charge. They did take to a&e.

Cant say much more for confidential reasons, but, all ok.

He actually made the
calpol comment refering directly at nannies.

ShyBaby Tue 05-Aug-08 21:44:45

Well I was actually told by a paramedic that I should call them asap and ignore gp "emergency" advice. Ds would have very bad asthma attacks and I would call gp emergency service to be told "we dont have a primecare clinic in your area at the moment, you need to get a cab to the city (an hour's cab ride, by then ds would have been very ill indeed).

yanbu.

hardworker Tue 05-Aug-08 21:45:42

Also took at least 20mins to arrive

lulalullabye Tue 05-Aug-08 21:55:47

My friends little boy went blue and had a fit, and they hung around in the house without doing anything. She, who is a senior member of staff in an A&E dept told them to get their f........g arses into gear and do their job !!

Complain, as siad before, if you don't that is why they are still doing it.

hardworker Tue 05-Aug-08 22:11:43

Will mention to family involved re: complaining

emma1977 Wed 06-Aug-08 00:04:40

As a doctor, this scares me. I'm hearing this kind of story far too often from patients and colleagues who have called ambulances for their patients.

This paramedic acted in an irresponsible manner, most likely outside of their area of competence.

A flipping big complaint needs to go to ambulance control and the PCT to stop this kind of dangerous crap from happening.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now