Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To be put off by a nursery because most of the staff are obese?

(29 Posts)
beanybean Tue 05-Aug-08 17:43:09

I've just visited a nursery where most of the staff are obese and something inside was questioning how active they are able to be with the children (plus they seemed to be sitting around while the children entertained themselves). I feel guilty for how I felt but am I right to be concerned?

NomDePlume Tue 05-Aug-08 17:44:18

YANBU to be 'concerned' about the level of physical play/involvement the staff have with the kids but YABU about their weight.

IMO

bubblagirl Tue 05-Aug-08 17:47:41

i would say yabu you can be big and active maybe the children were on free play time where staff observe childrens behaviour etc

if it wasa common accurance and you knew this then i would be worried but my ds pre school let them have feee play and then they have active play where they are with them

CaptainUnderpants Tue 05-Aug-08 17:47:53

obsese or just over weight ? YABU about their weight .

You dont have to be super slim to be fit and active you know .

susie100 Tue 05-Aug-08 17:50:07

It is politically incorrect but I would be concerned about it for the activity levels and also examples of healthy eating etc.

I will get flamed for this but I would feel the same especially as we are talking obese not overweight.

hifi Tue 05-Aug-08 17:53:35

i would be concerned at how active the women would be considering their size, its not a good indication. flame away.

mrsruffallo Tue 05-Aug-08 17:54:58

I wouldn't be very happy about it.
I don't want my children watching chain smoking, chip munching lazy carers

beanybean Tue 05-Aug-08 17:54:59

Obese definitely - not overweight. I know you don't have to be super slim to be active. They had been doing some play about food and it was all about fast foods. I'm not saying that people who are obese aren't caring but the combination of factors just put me off.

CaptainUnderpants Tue 05-Aug-08 17:55:36

Were they all sitting round like this

or were they just muffin tops ? grin

barnsleybelle Tue 05-Aug-08 17:56:28

Don't get it myself. I'm sure the staff will be more than able to promote an active lifestyle etc.

My dad used to throw the whiskey down like it was going out of fashion but that doesn't mean i turned out to be an alcoholic, or even a whiskey lover for that.

I'm sure the staff reserve the cake stuffing contests to the confines of the staffroom!

YABU....

unfitmother Tue 05-Aug-08 17:57:03

Something doesn't feel right, that's a good enough reason.
I rejected one which had lots of very young (slim) staff in favour of one with older(and fatter) staff. wink
I hadn't considered their size until reading OP!

Anna8888 Tue 05-Aug-08 17:59:47

YANBU.

I would definitely see red warning lights if any childcare setting was staffed mainly by people with any kind of health issue that could be attributed to bad lifestyle choices. I want anyone who cares for my child to be educated about good/healthy lifestyle choices and to actively teach my child about them, as well as being a role model.

beanybean Tue 05-Aug-08 18:02:44

I feel really guilty and rightly so I think...

beanybean Tue 05-Aug-08 18:03:54

I'm no skinnie minnie myself so I'm probably being a hypocrite too.

TheHedgeWitch Tue 05-Aug-08 18:09:09

Message withdrawn

savoycabbage Tue 05-Aug-08 18:10:31

I was visiting a day nursery which was staffed by overweight ladies and the fire-alarm went off. Some of them had some trouble standing up quickly from sitting on the floor, like when you are pregnant. This did put me off, not because I thought that there might be a fire and they wouldn't get the kids out, but because they weren't going to be as physically active with the children.

bonkerz Tue 05-Aug-08 18:12:24

captain: where did you get that picture of me and the girls on a night out?

Im an obese EX nursery manager and childminder! None of my mindees or nursery children suffered any ill effects from being cared for by me! Maybe my children should be taken away seeing as im obese therfore means i feed my kids rubbish food and just sit around all day 'observing' them!

kslatts Tue 05-Aug-08 18:23:59

I think YABU.

Tortington Tue 05-Aug-08 18:25:49

yanbu - fat chicks are wrong

wotulookinat Tue 05-Aug-08 18:26:02

Does being fat make you a 'chain smoking, chip munching lazy' person? I'm fat but none of these things.
YABU. But if you want a bunch anorexic, calorie counting stick-insects encouraging your child to think that food is evil and eating is wrong, then go ahead. hmm
It makes no difference what the carer looks like. In fact, nothing that they do personally matters - it is what they teach the children and how well they care for them. Their person life choices do not necessarily reflect what they show the kiddies.

DisenchantedPlusBump Tue 05-Aug-08 18:27:08

Were they all like the humans in 'Wall-E'?

FluffyMummy123 Tue 05-Aug-08 18:27:55

Message withdrawn

schneebly Tue 05-Aug-08 18:29:50

I agree with NomDePlume.

If you don't think they do enough physical activity with the children then it is an issue but do not assume that they can't/wont bother just because they are overweight! I am very overweight myself and was working as a playworker until recently which involved joining in with a lot of physical activity and promotiong healthy eating and lifestyle. I managed very well thank you.

I was out in my garden today playing badminton with my friend's son despite por weather and I am sure there plenty of skinny minnies who wouldn't have bothered!

SJLTM Tue 05-Aug-08 18:32:54

Captain grin

zippitippitoes Tue 05-Aug-08 18:37:47

i think you need to look at what they do and what the children do and base your judgement on that

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now