Advanced search

To think vacuuming the inside of a car

(25 Posts)
TheHedgeWitch Tue 05-Aug-08 12:13:30

Message withdrawn

MaloryDontDiveItsShallow Tue 05-Aug-08 12:14:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cyteen Tue 05-Aug-08 12:17:55

I would vacuum the inside of our car out of shame before selling it to anyone else - rolling tumbleweeds of cat hair are never a good look blush

TheHedgeWitch Tue 05-Aug-08 12:19:17

Message withdrawn

VinegarTits Tue 05-Aug-08 12:23:09

The dealer probably wont even look at the inside of your car, they will take the make, model and year then give you a price. Prob. wont even go outside to look at it.

nickytwotimes Tue 05-Aug-08 12:25:04

You are right, op.
Tis a waste of time.

cornsilk Tue 05-Aug-08 12:27:38

My dh would do that as well. Maybe it's a man thing.

TheHedgeWitch Tue 05-Aug-08 12:30:23

Message withdrawn

purpleflower Tue 05-Aug-08 12:30:31

My Nan hoovers her car to get it MOT'd shock

blueshoes Tue 05-Aug-08 13:03:02

My dh vacuumed - we recently upgraded our car.

I don't think a few odds and sods make a difference. I am sure they have seen it all. At the same time, a dealer has to make an quick judgment on the worth of a car. If the inside is a disgrace, how could he/she trust the owners to take care of the workings of the car as well?

Caz10 Tue 05-Aug-08 13:04:38

I think it's just the same as tidying your house if you were selling it!

Buyers should be able to see past the mess and judge the property on it's own merits, but if it's minging they will be put off, same with cars I reckon!

Baffy Tue 05-Aug-08 13:05:31

I'd probably do the same as your dh. First impressions and all that...

Shitehawk Tue 05-Aug-08 13:08:29

When we sold our last car, we got an extra £500 over what the dealer was going to offer because dh had vaccuumed and cleaned the windows. He had made his offer, his boss came to look at it and told him to up the offer "because it's nice and clean inside".

Twiglett Tue 05-Aug-08 13:09:59

the road tax on our vauxhall zafira is going up to £300 next year

am fuming

be sure you know the ongoing costs .. I think Zafiras are going to become a mite more difficult to sell and it might help you negotiate

MmeLindt Tue 05-Aug-08 13:11:03

I woudl do the same as your DH.

If the first impression is that the car has been well looked after then you are more likely to get a good price for it.

BananaSkin Tue 05-Aug-08 13:14:51

I'd clean it. In fact, I did the same thing last year when I took our car to get a quote.

(DS1, who is rarely car-sick felt sick all the way there, but I asked him to hang on a minute as we were nearly there. When I saw the sign for the garage, I said 'OK, you can be sick now' - meaning that we could get out and find a loo. He took me literally and threw up all over the inside of my carefully cleaned car!)

nervousal Tue 05-Aug-08 13:15:42

the last two times I've traded my car in the dealer hasn't even looked at it. Just a case of me handing over the keys and saying "it's in the car park"

MuffinMclay Tue 05-Aug-08 13:26:35

Waste of time. We got a very good price on a car recently (far more than it was worth), and I think you'd have been hard pressed to find a messier car (CDs, water bottles, books, clothes all over the floor, dog hair, gravel everywhere, dog and child snot on the windows, etc).

nooonit Tue 05-Aug-08 13:34:59

I agree with you, Hedge Witch. Think car obsessiveness is possibly more of a bloke thing.

DP won't even go on holiday without washing the car first.

The other week we went out to a lovely restaurant for a meal - cue obsessive car washing.

Can just imagine conversation in restaurant - 'Look at that couple, they look more suited to Brewer's Fayre' 'No! Hang on! Look how shiny their car is. They must be classier than I thought!' wink

Oblomov Tue 05-Aug-08 13:47:46

probably won't effect price dealer offers you very much. But if you turn up reasonably dressed, with a reasonable clean car, he instantly knows what kind of people he is dealing with.

TheHedgeWitch Tue 05-Aug-08 14:38:45

Message withdrawn

Cappuccino Tue 05-Aug-08 14:40:55

it is a human thing not a man thing

it having the memory of saying to yourself 'I have kept this car clean' as it goes

despite it having spent 10 years being full of mouldy banana skins and empty Nero cups

<whistles innocently>

TheHedgeWitch Tue 05-Aug-08 14:43:46

Message withdrawn

TheHedgeWitch Tue 05-Aug-08 14:44:44

Message withdrawn

Twiglett Tue 05-Aug-08 15:22:25

sorry mine is an 04 .. but it's an automatic (because of DH arthritis) 1.8 so it's C02 takes it into a higher bracket .. current road tax is £210

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now