Talk

Advanced search

to think it is wrong to swear in front of children fullstop!

(105 Posts)
May2December Mon 04-Aug-08 23:59:41

If we expect them not to swear surely we should set a good example. (Not saying I have never done this just that I think it is wrong). What is the worst swear word you would say in front of your dcs and would you tolerate them using it?

IdrisTheDragon Tue 05-Aug-08 00:02:11

I say "Oh God" more often than I should. Don't say anything more than that - DS is 4 and DD is 2.

sallystrawberry Tue 05-Aug-08 00:02:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

youcannotbeserious Tue 05-Aug-08 00:05:48

I got told off recently by a 3YO for saying 'flippin' hell'

Was truly blush

My DSDs know quite a few swear words though.... DSD1 (13) would say bugger and use the finger, but never in anger, IYKWIM. She does it as a bit of a joke.

Once they are teenagers, I think it's simply a fact of life that they will know these words, and it's better to acknowledge that rather than try to pretend it doesn't exist. So, DSDs know the words, know that we know and know that it's wrong...

sallystrawberry Tue 05-Aug-08 00:06:36

KatieDD Tue 05-Aug-08 00:10:09

I have 2 friends very middle class both GP's et etc their daughter aged 2 dropped a fork at the table and said "oh fuck" we nearly wet ourselves laughing.

Califrau Tue 05-Aug-08 00:18:52

littlelamb Tue 05-Aug-08 00:23:10

I think swearing at children is far far worse than swearing when they are in earshot iyswim. I wouldn't tolerate swearing if my dd was listening, but at her nans house last week, dd was sat down with a drink, saw a fly land on the side, sighed and said very wearily 'bloody flies' shock It was quite funny, but shows how much they listen and take in without you necessarily realising.

cornsilk Tue 05-Aug-08 00:30:36

I think there are worse things you can do, although I try to avoid it.

twoGsinBuggerOff Tue 05-Aug-08 00:41:33

im with cornsilk.

expatinscotland Tue 05-Aug-08 00:43:40

I used to say 'Damn' a lot. Can't anymore now.

twoGsinBuggerOff Tue 05-Aug-08 00:45:56

cant say damn? i spose youe religious then? im not. i dont see damn as a swear word.

expatinscotland Tue 05-Aug-08 00:46:56

I guess it's pretty tame, but DD1 started saying it quite a bit.

twoGsinBuggerOff Tue 05-Aug-08 00:53:52

i spose...

ds3 was slipping off the bed in the back of the campervan the other weekend and said in this bizarrely calm, quiet, old mans voice 'oh fock, oh fock'. i was truly taken aback and when i rescued him asked 'did you just say fuck?' and he looked at me like that was a really stupid question and said 'i was fallin off bed!'
gobsmacked. tried to make light and said, 'no xxx, youre not allowed to say that word' and he just shrugged and ive not heard it since.
hes 2 btw.

thumbwitch Tue 05-Aug-08 01:01:03

no YANBU, but perhaps a tad unrealistic. DH and I have been trying to give up swearing since before I got pg and are still rubbish at it. DS is 8mo now so we need to get on with giving up. DH keep saying "surely I can still say crap/piss/bloody etc." and I tell him that any word he wouldn't want to hear out of a 3 yo's mouth, he mustn't use. Very limiting.

Dammit is still acceptable to me but might not be to other people, so if DS started saying that, it might offend someone else.

But I do wonder, in this day and age, whether it's worth bothering really as kids all seem to swear their heads off even in infants' school.

Still, we can but try.

solidgoldbrass Tue 05-Aug-08 01:07:28

I really don't give a fuck about it myself. I think it's ugly to hear parents swear venoumously at their children, but someone shouting 'shit' if they shut their hand in the door is hardly a big deal.

tweeni Tue 05-Aug-08 01:46:04

i don't swear at ds but i might say in conversation. for example the other day my friend showed me a photo on fb of her new fancy man and i said fuck he's hot. i go by the whole just as you can't drive a car, smoke cigarettes, drink wine cos you aren't old enough you can't swear either. those things are especially for adults.

Stephen99 Tue 05-Aug-08 01:48:28

a colleague of mine was given a lift to work a while ago by a neighbour, and they were dropping the neighbour's cute 3 yr old off at nursery on the way.

as the car approached some traffic lights, they changed to red.

cue a little voice from the back saying "bastard lights"

grin

clearly they'd been delayed at that junction whilst in a rush on one or two previous occasions!

RuthT Tue 05-Aug-08 01:52:22

lol that is so funny. I think driving is when most of us are compelled to mete out some expletives

MrsBates Tue 05-Aug-08 02:01:56

Stubbed my toe the other day and my daughter said 'It's Ok you said shit mummy, it wasn't your fault, it was the bloody table.'

Try very hard not to swear but it flies out sometimes.

Bumdiddley Tue 05-Aug-08 08:59:00

I have been replacing the swears with innocuous things like 'Oh my giddy aunt' which DD (3) has copied even the way I stress the giddy. Also 'You have to be kidding me'

We were crossing the road a couple of weeks ago and and she muttered 'fugging car'. blush. I blame dh for that!

Overmydeadbody Tue 05-Aug-08 09:01:52

I think yabu. Nothing wrong with swearing in front of kids.

Only wrong to swear at kids.

forevercleaning Tue 05-Aug-08 09:08:10

my dh uses all sorts of swear words infront of the dc! I am prone to slip in 'oh arse' and shit, bloody, bollocks and bugger! when they were small around 2-5 they have all said swear words and i was mortified, but now they are a bit older they know we say it but understand they must not!

Prob let it out in the playground though to friends and they then probably tell their parents forevercleanings dc told me!!

barnsleybelle Tue 05-Aug-08 09:22:19

We slip up occasionally but don't swear deliberately in front of them.

I think that it's highly likely my ds will swear as he gets older... but what i want him to understand is when it's not appropriate, ie in front of adults and children..

I came downstairs the other day to hear him trying to get someting out of the fridge... he was muttering " oh for gods sake" (he's 6). Tbh i thought it sounded funny, but i pretended i'd never heard him as i know he would not have said it in my earshot and that's all that matters to me.

themoon66 Tue 05-Aug-08 09:26:31

DH knocked his drink over and 2 year old DD said, very loudly.. 'oh silly bugger daddy'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now