Talk

Advanced search

To expect porridge at a Scottish Hotel?

(20 Posts)
BouncingTurtle Mon 04-Aug-08 18:02:10

Had a lovely break in Scotland spoiled by the fact the hotel was not up to scratch.

Stifling hot room.
Crap breakfast with no porridge and yucky sausages, crap highchair and unfriendly staff.

This was in a 4 star fecking hotel and it wasn't cheap.

Am going to complain, was looking forward to lovely thick porridge for me and ds for brekkie.
angry

Stayed their last year and the breakfast was out of this world!

prettybird Mon 04-Aug-08 18:04:42

If it was 4* then I would have expected porridge. Do they advertise a Scottish breakfast? The I owuld have expected it even more so, and no YANBU. Has it changed ownership since last year?

Go on - name and shame!

GentleOtter Mon 04-Aug-08 18:06:16

If ye dinnae ask ye winnae get!

Which area was it in?

dittany Mon 04-Aug-08 18:06:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OurHamsterisevil Mon 04-Aug-08 18:06:50

Yes name and shame. I would expect porridge in an English hotel TBH. That is not good

expatinscotland Mon 04-Aug-08 18:07:27

Interestingly enough, there was an article in the Scotsman last week about how hotel occupancy was down big style.

BouncingTurtle Mon 04-Aug-08 18:10:23

Really expat? I guess a victim of the fuel prices making travel to the remoter areas expensive sad
I am a big Scotland-a-phile (piss off pedants grin).
It was the MacDonald Highland resort at Aviemore. We went last year and it was utterly fab - we stayed at the Four Seasons, this time around we stayed at The Academy. The stay at the Academy was actually more expensive than at The Four Seasons by about £100!

expatinscotland Mon 04-Aug-08 18:30:59

Yes, really. Let me go dig it up.

expatinscotland Mon 04-Aug-08 18:32:53

hotels

expatinscotland Mon 04-Aug-08 18:33:49

Mmmm, porridge!

Miaou Mon 04-Aug-08 18:36:40

Oooh bouncingturtle, aviemore's fab smile

Sorry you were disappointed in your stay - sounds like you have a few reasons to complain!

I remember once staying in a b&b (in Scotland) and dd1 asked for porridge for breakfast - well, what came you could stand your spoon up in! Poor dd1, she was only about six and loved her porridge, she was most disappointed. When the landlady came to clear her (obviously untouched) bowl, she said, "ah, well I'm not that good at making porridge!" (so why is it on the menu then? hmm)

expatinscotland Mon 04-Aug-08 18:38:09

not good at making porridge?

eh?

how can you botch porridge?

it's . . . well, porridge.

the DDs love theirs - pinhead, with milk, heather honey and cinammon.

Mercy Mon 04-Aug-08 18:42:22

That's a real shame; hotel breakfasts are normally fantastic (we've even been to them when not staying at the hotel)

The worst hotel breakfast I've ever had was in a popular coastal area of NZ. They had a few packets of cereal lined up and that was it, and they tried to charge us (a lot) extra even though we were staying there.

BouncingTurtle Mon 04-Aug-08 18:48:41

There was rice crispies, all bran, cornflakes and weetabix (ds likes weetabix, fortunately) a dreary selection of fruit in syrup, and the hot section has scrambled or fried eggs, beans, tomato, black pudding (DH said it was rank), Lorne sausage (Which was nice) and other sausage (which I thought was rank). No potato cakes, hash browns or mushrooms!
Last year when we stayed at the Four Seasons there we had huge hot selection, cereal, porridge and muesli, lots of pastries and different breads with jam, honey and savoury spreads, fresh and dried fruit, yogurt, continental meats and cheeses - you name it they had it! It was fantastic!

Soapbox Mon 04-Aug-08 18:50:06

Expat - I was always brought up to believe that a good scots person only ever ate porridge with salt anda mug of milk to dip it in! Heather honey and cream - goodness whatever next grin

expatinscotland Mon 04-Aug-08 18:50:23

I think it might be worth your while to write a letter expressing your disappointment.

That sounds pretty lame.

expatinscotland Mon 04-Aug-08 18:50:54

Nah, DH likes his sweetened up.

Soaked overnight, though.

BouncingTurtle Mon 04-Aug-08 18:51:11

Oh, and I always thought good porridge was porridge you could stand your spoon in it?

BouncingTurtle Mon 04-Aug-08 19:02:19

I have sent an email to complain.

expatinscotland Mon 04-Aug-08 19:02:54

That whole breakfast sounds rank and shoddy, tbh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now