Talk

Advanced search

Barclays counter staff - RUDE

(22 Posts)
lucyellensmum Mon 04-Aug-08 12:22:30

I just tore into the girl in Barclays, i was so angry. I stood AGES in the queue, mainly because one of the tellers was busy chatting about a mutual acquaintance with her friend who she was serving. The only other teller open got through three customers before this woman even got around to actually doing the woman's banking shock.

So, i finally get served by the other teller, who has the audacity to say to me "I will fill the paying in this time, but you really must fill them in beforehand", like i was some sort of teenager. I just said that well yes, i could see they were blatantly rushed off their feet hmm i rather wish i could have a little flash card with that emoticon on it, it sums up soooo much grin. This particular branch of Barclays is antiquated and everything is done on bits of paper. My other bank just print you out a receipt. If you want an actual printed receipt or bank statement you ahve to wait while they go off into another room to get a photocopy hmm. Oh, and AND the other week we asked for a bank statement as needed to check something, was told we would have to pay for it as one wasn't due. They had the account set up so we only got quarterly statements shock. Perhaps they are trying to save paper, ah, no, it can't be that - because everything is done on scraps of paper in branch - imbeciles.

EffiePerine Mon 04-Aug-08 12:23:42

change your bank

MrsWeasley Mon 04-Aug-08 12:25:45

Thats why we moved from Barclays.

lucyellensmum Mon 04-Aug-08 12:26:38

good point effie, although its DPs account and of course we are far to lazy to change accounts as just set up business accounts etc. Might be tempted to write to the manager though.

HumphreyPinCushion Mon 04-Aug-08 12:27:06

Sounds rather antiquated.
Do you live here?
grin

ruddynorah Mon 04-Aug-08 12:29:06

pay in using the pay in box. do they have one of these?

and use online for statements. easy peasy. no hassle, no counter staff.

MsSparkle Mon 04-Aug-08 12:32:19

I usually just hand over my cash card and and say can i put X amount in please and they do it.

I wouldn't go as far as saying move banks because i think most banks are pretty much the same in terms of service. I asked for monthly statements when i set up my account otherwise they do come quarterly automatically.

EffiePerine Mon 04-Aug-08 12:36:48

I'm with HSBC - monthly statements, all online as well (you can search for previous transactions online too). No complaints on service.

posieflump Mon 04-Aug-08 12:44:39

what did you actually say then? You said you're tore into a girl in Barclays? Or did I miss that bit...

ScottishMummy Mon 04-Aug-08 12:47:24

having a bad day LEM?but no more argy bargy or you will look like a bampot

lazaroulovesleggings Mon 04-Aug-08 12:50:34

In HSBC you go up to the counter and they say 'oh you know you can do this at the machine' or 'you need to see customer services for that'

I just feel like saying 'so what exactly is the point of you then?'

jelliebelly Mon 04-Aug-08 13:08:23

Do online banking. I can't remember the last time I had to go to a bank branch for anything - they are all as bad as each other and actively try to discourage people from visiting the branches as it is their most expensive way of providing services

lucyellensmum Mon 04-Aug-08 13:23:18

whats a bampot?

And yes, a bad day £2.36 to fax THREE peices of paper, which if i had gone in the shop that was a few minutes walk to where i was this morning they would have faxed it for a charity donation!

Then THEN the dozy mare in the cake shop neglected to include DDs star cake, resulting in my having to give up my raspberry tart

Apart from that a good day though - so no bampotting around here just yet.

It is just this particular branch of Barclays, the other branches we have used have been fine, up to date, happy staff. This one is like something from little britain!

posieflump Mon 04-Aug-08 13:29:52

but jelliebelly you can put cheques in online ...

HarleyQuinn Mon 04-Aug-08 13:31:43

I agree with jelliebelly, online banking is the way to go. My branch is pretty friendly, though Im with lloydstsb grin

ScottishMummy Mon 04-Aug-08 13:34:01

lol scottish colloqualism daftie/irritable/goin off on one. tearing about and all that you are gonnie lookey bit scary

posieflump Mon 04-Aug-08 13:34:43

I mean you can't put cheques in online

lucyellensmum Mon 04-Aug-08 13:36:16

SM its waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to late for that, i have a permanently scary look on my face grin

ivykaty44 Mon 04-Aug-08 13:42:26

I would just say "Do you make all your illiterate customers fell like dog shit or is it just special condersending politicaly incorrect treatment you save for me?" wink
Hard paddington bear stare and they wouldn't dare do it again smile

ruddynorah Mon 04-Aug-08 13:47:08

you put chqs in the pay in box.

there is no point to counter staff, unless you're old and can't use new technology. having said that though, my gran's nearly 90 and never goes near a branch. she does it all on line or on the phone.

Katisha Mon 04-Aug-08 13:54:33

I am moving my account away from Barclays - they have been nothing but trouble recently and rude with it.

notcitrus Mon 04-Aug-08 14:51:47

Barclays are even more crap than the other main banks - I have a dormant account with them that usually has about £2.50 but my parents gave me some money via it recently.

Took 45 minutes to get a bankers draft to get the money out. The staff were very nice and busy, but except for one chap, didn't know anything about anything.

Not that any banks seem to train most of their staff - I'm with First Direct who are generally OK, but had to go to HSBC to withdraw lots of cash. The teller didn't know how to give out cash - surely that's the simplest bank task going??

Not to mention that the windows with induction loops will be the ones that the staff aren't behind, and if you ask them to go to a window with one they go "what's an induction loop?"...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now