Talk

Advanced search

To go in my own garden at 8am with a 2 year old?

(93 Posts)
crokky Mon 04-Aug-08 08:41:51

I need to know if I have been a bad neighbour - honest answers please grin

So...we have a small garden overlooked by 5 other houses. After DS (age 2) and DD (4 months) went to bed last night, me and DH put together a plastic mini slide and cube thingy (about 1m x 1m plus slide, so not massive) for DS and put it in the garden. This morning DS saw it from the kitchen window and immediately said "SLIDE!! SHOES!!" and went to find his shoes to go outside. So I let him, it was 8am and he was not shrieking or anything like that. Cue naked neighbour man at bedroom window with very angry face. [Our baby wasn't crying or anything]. Am I supposed to stay indoors until a certain time?

And another question...am I being an idiot?...there are little mushrooms coming up through the grass (just plain grass in middle of garden, no other plants etc) - are they poisonous? Not planning on eating them or anything but just want to know as chidren rolling around in garden? We didn't have a garden at last place so am a total dummy with this sort of stuff.

posieflump Mon 04-Aug-08 08:43:49

honestly? I think it's a bit early.
Would try and keep them in until at least 9am
But can understand your ds being excited

crokky Mon 04-Aug-08 08:44:47

oops blush

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Mon 04-Aug-08 08:45:17

i dont think the mushrooms will be poisonous if they are just rolling around on them but i wouldnt eat them. though im fairly sure they wouldnt hurt you if you did.

does your neighbour work nights? i cant see why going outside at 8am would bother him otherwise, but imo it is your garden and you should be allowed to use it during reasonable waking hours without bothering any one and 8am is reasonable waking hours to me.

JuneBugJen Mon 04-Aug-08 08:45:48

Sorry to neighbour, anything after 7.30 on a weekday morning is fair game.

By 8 your neighbour should be up and getting dressed for work unless on a night shift. Are they on a night shift...you could ask.

At weekends, different story. One neighbour used to hoover his Yaris under our window at 8.00. Bastard. I hate Yaris's now.

Weegle Mon 04-Aug-08 08:45:57

I also think too early. I never let DS out in to the garden until 9am and I know my neighbours are early risers. At weekends I make it even later, nearer 10am.

IdrisTheDragon Mon 04-Aug-08 08:46:08

I wouldn't have a problem with someone else's children being in their garden at 8am. Especially not on a weekday.

theexmrsfederer Mon 04-Aug-08 08:46:22

I guess it depends on a few things.

How noisy was the 2 yr old?

The angry mans circumstances-he may just be home from a night shift and trying to get to sleep. Not everyone keeps daylight hours.

If you are satisfied about those kind of questions, then I don't think 8am is unreasonable on a Mon morning.

The mushrooms should be fine. If you are worried, get something from the garden centre to kill them off (but you might not be able to use the garden for a while).

VictorianSqualor Mon 04-Aug-08 08:46:26

I probably wouldn't let the children out at 8am regularly, but as a one of for special occasions (new slide) I would.
If it snows it's almost impossible to keep them indoors past 7!

GordonTheGopher Mon 04-Aug-08 08:46:34

PMSL at naked neighbour man.

We go out much earlier than that and we have students living next to us!

deepinlaundry Mon 04-Aug-08 08:46:40

I wouldn't have a problem personally, but a lot of people think that after 9 am is acceptable.I think that Builders can start at 7.30 or something ridiculous. As long as children don't eat mushrooms, you should be o.k- maybe pick them if you're worried.

Cies Mon 04-Aug-08 08:46:43

Don't know about houses, but in our block of flats we have rules about noise etc. They state that from 10pm-8am is 'night time' and all noise should be kept to a minimum (i.e. NO DIY, hoovering, noisy washing machine spins etc). So, I'd say you might be ok on this one.

whooosh Mon 04-Aug-08 08:46:51

I'm with Posie if school holidays or weekends.

posieflump Mon 04-Aug-08 08:47:07

but a lot of people work weekends these days so Monday could be his weekend day

Tommy Mon 04-Aug-08 08:47:57

not unreasonable at all IMO

However, naked neighbour at any time is very unreasonable I think grin

Don't eat the mushrooms - we have those too.

Callisto Mon 04-Aug-08 08:48:26

8am isn't very early imo.

JuneBugJen Mon 04-Aug-08 08:49:36

Just thought about it. It is summer hols so prob is a bit early. Agree with posie. Leave it till 9.

JuneBugJen Mon 04-Aug-08 08:50:49

just to be neighbourly.
and arent you lucky not to have the deluge of rain we have here! We would need an ark to go out now!

WideWebWitch Mon 04-Aug-08 08:51:10

I don't think 8am is too early.

VictorianSqualor Mon 04-Aug-08 08:51:41

We have builders right outside my bedroom window at the moment, have had for weeks.
They arrive at about 7am, yelling their 'Good Morning' to each other and are using big heavy loud machinery by 7:30am.
That is unreasonable! Especially when I've been up half the night with the baby.
Thank heavens we are moving soon.

VinegarTits Mon 04-Aug-08 08:52:16

YANBU it's 8am fgs! its not like it was the crack of dawn, most people are up and out by that time on a Monday morning, how much noise can a 2 yr old make anyway? unless he had a hammer or a drill in his hand and was doing a bit of gardening DIY

TheMadHouse Mon 04-Aug-08 08:52:39

I am lucky in that three of our neigbours have small children too, so we are often out from 7pm and we all try and keep the noise down after 8pm.

Or if one of us is having a party or BBQ we let the others know and invite themm.

So YNBU

sarah293 Mon 04-Aug-08 08:52:53

Message withdrawn

JodieG1 Mon 04-Aug-08 08:55:01

8 am isn't too early imo.

MmeLindt Mon 04-Aug-08 08:55:23

8am on a workday sounds ok to me (but then the Germans do get up at the crack of dawn so perhaps I might wait a bit longer in UK)

For a special occasion like a new slide then I think that it is ok, would perhaps wait till 9am on a weekday, 10am on weekends.

I agree with Tommy, a naked neighbour is very unreasonable, unless he looks like Brad Pitt.

I would wait until he has calmed down, and dressed then apologise. Ask if he is working nights so that you can avoid to early mornings in the future.

I would get rid of the mushrooms, your DCs might decide to have a nibble.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now