Talk

Advanced search

to think it's utterly ridiculous to think I could take my noisy 2 year old to an afternoon performance at Edinburgh's Playhouse theatre but not my angelic 4 month old baby?

(22 Posts)
tassisssss Sun 03-Aug-08 21:03:55

That's it really.

Lovely sister wanted to buy ticket for the 2 of us to go and see Mary Poppins at Edinburgh's Playhouse for my birthday. Baby'll be 4 months old by then and we live at least an hour from Edinburgh so she'd be tricky to leave (I breastfeed and don't do bottles). I assumed I could just take her with me but they won't allow under 2s in. Why oh why oh why???

littleducks Sun 03-Aug-08 21:07:07

I have a 4 month old and a 2.3yr old atm, the four month old is MUCH easier to keep quiet and occupied!

YANBU

Roboshua Sun 03-Aug-08 21:12:47

YANBU. When DD2 was born I used to still go to the cinema with DD1 (then aged 4). DD2 was fine. He either slept or I bf'd him. However after about 6 months until he was about 2 and half I would book him nursery if I wanted to take DS1 to the cinema

tassisssss Sun 03-Aug-08 21:20:26

Thank you for agreeing.

I'm really annoyed about this...and a little upset because it probably means I won't get to go...

ExterminAitch Sun 03-Aug-08 21:21:26

it's because fire regs say that every person attending has to have a seat, i think. but you couldn't put her in a seat, so...

paolosgirl Sun 03-Aug-08 21:24:10

I've taken DS2 to the cinema when he was about the same age - fire regs didn't apply there. Also - what about people in wheelchairs? They don't have Playhouse seats.

ExterminAitch Sun 03-Aug-08 21:27:35

i'm just telling you the reason as i understand it, don't expect you to agree with it.

tassissss Sun 03-Aug-08 21:29:56

You're right, sorry Aitch, didn't mean to snap at you.

paolosgirl Sun 03-Aug-08 21:30:20

No, I wasn't disagreeing with you, sorry. I'm just hmm at the Playhouse

MrsMuddle Sun 03-Aug-08 21:30:21

I think it must be a new rule because we went to see Chitty Chitty Bang Bang there a couple of years ago, and we could barely hear the actors because of a baby crying in the auditorium. The adult had two smallish children and a baby, and obviously didn't want to take the baby out and leave the children. I think the staff eventually asked her to leave.

It was a children's show, and there was lots of whispering and rustling, and people going in and out to the loo, which I expected because of the type of show it was. The baby crying, however, was, I thought, unacceptable, especially when the tickets were so dear.

ExterminAitch Sun 03-Aug-08 21:33:36

are tassiss and paolosgirl the same poster, then?

all i know is that's what they told me when i booked the theatre royal in glasgow.

FluffyMummy123 Sun 03-Aug-08 21:34:38

Message withdrawn

tassisssss Sun 03-Aug-08 21:35:34

Aitch, no we're not, but I'm now really freaked out as I didn't post the 21.29 post.

I've reported it to MNHQ. How can that happen??

FluffyMummy123 Sun 03-Aug-08 21:36:13

Message withdrawn

tassisssss Sun 03-Aug-08 21:36:23

cod, i can assure you that you'd find my toddler more annoying than my baby if you were hoping to enjoy a performance

FluffyMummy123 Sun 03-Aug-08 21:36:59

Message withdrawn

tassisssss Sun 03-Aug-08 21:37:06

thanks cod

why would she do that?

Backgammon Sun 03-Aug-08 21:38:21

Will the toddler enjoy it? Is it you who wants to see it or your child? Just thought maybe you could go next year and get a babysitter if it was something you wanted to do, then you won't be distracted by your noisy toddler.

tassisssss Sun 03-Aug-08 21:39:15

BAckgammon, the toddler will stay at home with her daddy. I'd like to take my 4 month old.

Backgammon Sun 03-Aug-08 21:41:20

Oh, got you. What a shame, looks like you'll have to go next year maybe?

StormInanEcup Sun 03-Aug-08 21:51:11

Message withdrawn

mawbroon Sun 03-Aug-08 21:51:32

You could always find a friendly Edinburgh mumsnetter to look after your baby for the hour and a half (or whatever) that you would be in the show. Quick feed before and after?

LOL at me suggesting this. I would never have done this with my ds, but everyone is different!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now