Talk

Advanced search

How old should children be before reasonable to teach poker

(30 Posts)
narkymum Sun 03-Aug-08 20:05:01

just wondered cos wandered through house to make a cuppa and 17 yr old teaching ds 11 dd 8 and ds5. Also dog running around with baby annabelle dress on.ho hum ....

donovan Sun 03-Aug-08 20:11:34

I miss read the thread, and thought you want to teach the kids how to use a poker, and I thought, heh some one else with a coal fire ... kindred spirit.
About Poker though, why should the kids not learn, it is a maths exercise.

uberalice Sun 03-Aug-08 20:18:08

Poker is great and I learned it when I was very young. Can't see the problem to be honest. Are you worried they'll turn into gambling addicts? I didn't.

It's not strip poker, is it? grin

Celia2 Sun 03-Aug-08 20:18:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mrz Sun 03-Aug-08 20:20:15

Encourage it as donovan says great for maths.

narkymum Sun 03-Aug-08 20:23:02

Maybe this time next year we`ll be millionares

phoebebouffet Sun 03-Aug-08 23:59:43

Good old fashioned card game, why not? Hours of entertainment! How nice of the 17 year old. PMSL at the dog!

snice Mon 04-Aug-08 00:01:34

My Grandpa taught me to play when I was about 8 - I can honestly say that I don't think its done me any lasting harm!

Tortington Mon 04-Aug-08 00:02:56

sounds fun, we taught our kids at age 13 ish. but non of us are great - we all get the basic rudiments

twinsetandpearls Mon 04-Aug-08 00:06:11

My six year old loves poker. She has complete calls of steel when it comes to bluffing.

hatwoman Mon 04-Aug-08 00:12:08

I'll never forget playing with friends and their dcs and seeing the utter glee and excitement of their 7 year old boy when he had some ludicrously good hand (I can;t remember what;s what but it was the second best hand you can get ever), he could barely contain himself and we all, while posl, humoured him and pretended we had no idea. it was lovely. I also remember playing newmarket and pontoon for pennies or matchsticks with my grandfather.

thumbwitch Mon 04-Aug-08 00:12:33

can't see it being a problem at that age so long as not for money or clothes. Or anything else of value.

KelaH Mon 04-Aug-08 08:44:15

Well my Dad is trying to teach my 6 month old.....

lizziemun Mon 04-Aug-08 09:17:56

When dd1 was a baby and wouldn't settle at night she would sit with DH and watch him play poker, so i could get some sleep.

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Mon 04-Aug-08 09:20:03

id be more worried about the dog in the baby annabell dress! what will annabell wear? has she got a collar on? grin

my dog often has on scarfs and winter hats but dd1 has yet to discover that her dolls clothes will fit the dog.

mankyscotslass Mon 04-Aug-08 09:21:53

DS has been playing poker with DH for a year or so. He is 6 now.
I was a bit blush when DS told his teacher about it though.

SueW Mon 04-Aug-08 09:27:07

We taught DD when she was 4yo. We played for pennies, just like I grew up playing Newmarket using my grandad's jar of ha'pennies.

Cies Mon 04-Aug-08 09:28:12

I think all card games are great for kids to learn.

We used to play vingt-et-un for matchsticks, rummy, whist, racing demons, poker etc etc.

PMSL at the dog though!

SirDigbyChickenCaesar Mon 04-Aug-08 09:29:04

DS (nearly 3) likes to line up cards and pretend to play poker.

notcitrus Mon 04-Aug-08 17:17:29

My grandad taught me and other cousins as soon as we were old enough to understand the maths, so about 6+.

Luckily Grandma taught us about 5 minutes later not to play for money, especially with Grandpa as he cheated like mad...

I spent much of a rainy holiday with friends teaching their kids Fluxx and similar games - the youngest age 4 pretty much learnt to read from it. It's a random enough game that if you can match pictures and count to 10, pulling any matching card from your hand is likely to be a good move.

ladymariner Mon 04-Aug-08 17:25:26

We grew up playing newmarket with the coppers in the jar!! It was great, and we all also played pontoon from a very eary age. Can't see a problem.

MrsWeasley Mon 04-Aug-08 17:28:04

I hate card games My Gran played card with my teenage siblings and I for money and she changed the rules everytime to make sure she won!

ladymariner Mon 04-Aug-08 17:34:38

Mean gran!!!!!

hatwoman Mon 04-Aug-08 18:29:08

blimey - so many newmarket-with-gps here. Can anyone remember how to play it? I remember it consisted of four cards that were the horses, putting a penny in the middle and a penny on a horse, but I can;t remember what you then did to see who/which horse won...I think dds need some card-training.

edam Mon 04-Aug-08 18:32:04

Dh had some mates round for a poker night last time I went away on my own. Came back to discover they'd allowed ds to sit in with them... apparently he was doing very well, considering he was 1/10th the age of the rest of them. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now