Talk

Advanced search

to think Boots should act more discreetly

(12 Posts)
Lowfat Sat 02-Aug-08 12:07:19

Not sure whether they were trying to make this woman feel embarrased or were just did'nt care.

Was in there today getting some bits and the pharmacist was talking to a young woman beside me, asking her questions about medication, illness's health etc and then about her cycle. The pharmacist was'nt talking loudly, but was'nt exactley being discreet either. And the young woman had a few questions, about stuff, which she was very quiet with.

Then the pharmacist said well it's only one pill these days, which you should take as soon as possible. Now do you need any advice or information about other birth control methods?

So I am guessing from this the poor young woman had gone in for the moring after pill and had to stand at the till and disguss the ins and outs of it all in front of anyone who was about.

There is a booth in the shop for confidential advice and I do feel the pharmacist could have made use of this.

Just completely shocked.

And before anyone says I was eavesdropping I should point out that we were both at the till and so literally touching shoulders.

lazaroulovesleggings Sat 02-Aug-08 12:12:19

Really?! I once asked for it and I had to go and sit in the back and have an embarrassing chat with the pharmacist.
I had only given birth about six weeks previously, I'm sure he thought I was only about 16 [wishful thinking]

Agree it's not on for the pharmacist to lecture about birth control, especially in front of everyone. It's mortifying enough having to ask for it and it's really bloody expensive.

juneybean Sat 02-Aug-08 14:51:23

That's terrible, the one time I needed MAP, I was taken into a side room to discuss it

tortoiseSHELL Sat 02-Aug-08 14:53:40

They should have been more discreet.

However, I do remember working in my dad's pharmacist shop as a holiday job, and getting very tangled up when people asked for things like anusol, which to begin with I didn't know what they were for - so would ask 'Can I just ask what you are wanting to treat with that?'. They were NOT happy!

charliecat Sat 02-Aug-08 14:54:28

I had this, not in Boots though. Had a baby and a toddler in a double buggy moaning and a condom had split. Bloke was talking to me like I was STUPID. Outloud. Kept saying if I was stupid I wouldnt be here wanting this. It was an accident FFS
Really shite.

edam Sat 02-Aug-08 14:55:07

Dreadful. But this was bound to happen once the government started encouraging pharmacists to give medical advice. Even the side rooms aren't enough - my local pharmacy has one that is built out of plywood right where customers queue. I swear the walls shake when you walk past.

JonahTakalua Sat 02-Aug-08 14:55:10

Very unprofessional.
I doubt she'll go back there for advice and help again. sad

saltire Sat 02-Aug-08 15:08:40

She should have been taken into a side room/cubicle and given the advice she needed there.

maggymay Sat 02-Aug-08 15:44:49

whilst the pharmacist should of been descreet and taken the woman in question into a side room they legally have to ask all the questions and they have to offer advice on contraception befor they are allowed to sell the MAP the pharmacy I worked in would use female pharmacists where ever possible but everyone was treated with respect and dignity so its a shame some just seem to get a bit power mad

Gobbledigook Sat 02-Aug-08 15:56:03

I would be writing a letter of complaint quick smart

greenlawn Sat 02-Aug-08 17:28:27

Hmm - well if you think that's bad, our local GUM clinic makes people queue OUTSIDE the front door until the clinic opens in the morning!

I used to walk my children to nursery past there every day, and felt so desperately sorry for these people - sometimes there would be 20 people all stood there waiting for the clinic to open. And the clinic entrance is right on the main road.

Last year I asked in the hospital why it was felt necessary to do this to people (who after all had had the guts to seek treatment) and was told it was a temporary measure due to lack of funds but would be resolved quickly. They agreed that ideally people should be sent appointments, and that a walk in clinic should have the funding to allow people to do exactly that - walk in.

A year later, its still going on. I'm told if you're not in the queue before it opens you won't be seen that day due to limited opening hours.

milkgoddessmakesthefinestmilk Sat 02-Aug-08 17:40:24

as a p'cist i'd say they should asked the lady IF she would like to use the consultation room.
not everyone does.

was it a male or female p'cist?
what ethinc origin?
age?

all these factors seem to come into play how women get treated ime
certainly shouldn't, but actually does

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now