Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to expect a kitchen fitter to make good the blinking great hole he's made in my wall?

(10 Posts)
ihatebikerides Fri 01-Aug-08 17:10:42

He came to replace the worktops (as the original ones' seals blew the minute water got near). Whilst removing the old surface, he's knocked a large (4"x4") chunk out of the plaster back to the brick. He has shrugged and said he was trying to save the tiles from cracking. I said that was commendable but irrelevant as I didn't want either damaged. Now he's stomped off, saying I'll have to talk to the office about it. AIBU?

alicet Fri 01-Aug-08 17:23:46

No. YANBU. I would do as he said and talk to the office and put in a complaint about his attitude.

Shite.

lucyellensmum Fri 01-Aug-08 17:57:52

wanker, it is their responsibility to repair it, make sure they do!

ihatebikerides Fri 01-Aug-08 18:15:10

Bugger, bugger, BUGGER! Just to compound the problem, DS has just pulled one of the bloody cupboard doors off its hinges too! How on earth can I appeal to these guys to mend that as well!

LuckySalem Fri 01-Aug-08 18:15:59

which company is it?

ihatebikerides Fri 01-Aug-08 18:24:02

A local one, not a chain. Mind you, have some tales to tell of a couple of those.......

lucyellensmum Fri 01-Aug-08 18:24:24

I think the problem often is, that these companies employ subcontractors to do the work and they dont really check out their work etc. Also, the fitters are often paid a very tight rate so it is difficult for them to make their money and if there are problems then it starts to lose them money putting them right. So its not a great system really.

My DP is a carpenter/builder and he hates fitting kitchens as people (im not suggesting this is the case with the OP) have this idealised imagae of their wonderful kitchen which unless they have paid shed loads of money for is going to be really quite "ordinary" in quality. So it is basically trying to make a silk purse out of a pigs ear. Add things like uneven walls/floors etc into the equation and the poor kitchen fitter is almost bound to try and cut corners.

MY DP works for himself so it is in his interest to provide spot on work, which he does, but for a subbie, hes only interested in getting the job done so he can get paid.

ihatebikerides Fri 01-Aug-08 18:26:06

Anyway, "the office" have agreed to send out a different fitter tomorrow to re-plaster the 8x4" (not 4x4) hole. Would it be cheeky to alter my stance to wheedling helpless woman to get him to have a look at the door whilst he's here.....?

LuckySalem Fri 01-Aug-08 18:28:53

When he is there just ask him if he can "have a look at this" tell you how to do it kinda thing. He may just do it or he'll tell you how, either way you're still "strong woman"

ihatebikerides Fri 01-Aug-08 18:29:25

Well, so far as the rest of the work done is concerned I can't really fault them - they're Lithuanian I think and work from 7.30am to 6pm without a break. But they have pointed out on several occasions (one of which when cupboard fell off wall and landed on me, but that;s another story) that what can you expect with a cheap kitchen. Well, for the cupboards to stay on the wall for a start! Fit for purpose and all that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now