Talk

Advanced search

IABU but I need to rant about all local driving schools

(6 Posts)
Haylstones Fri 01-Aug-08 16:23:45

We live about 4 miles outside of a big city in a suburban area. This area has a very wide long road about 1/2 a mile long with lots of cul de sacs and roads coming off it. We live at the end of this road (dead end so only one way in/out) in a really small cul de sac.
This road is obviously ideal conditions for learning to drive but the sheer number of learners is driving me potty. Every time I leave the house it takes me ages to get to the end of the road because I have to stop for various 3 point turns, reversing round the corner, emergency stops etc- and I mean EVERY time. They have also just started coming into the cul de sac and doing 3 point turns, obviously because it is a really quiet road with no traffic (part of the appeal when we bought it- dd plays there albeit with supervision!)Even on the rare occasions that I don't have to physically stop to let someone complete their manoevre I still see at least 2 or 3 learner drivers pulled in or driving along.
I feel really mean writing this (and am aware that it sounds extremely petty smile) and know IABU and they have to learn somewhere (and if I was learning this would be the perfect area) but I just had to vent a bit. It's partly my fault that I'm always running late for things and as we live at the end of the road we have most chance of passing some learners!
Maybe getting it off my chest will make me more tolerant!

Love2bake Fri 01-Aug-08 16:33:37

I can sympathise with you as have the same problem where I live.

I have at LEAST 10 learners a day in my road. I know everyone needs to learn to drive but seriuosly, its ALL THE TIME!!!!

OrmIrian Fri 01-Aug-08 16:36:33

grin I can remember always driving round the same places when I was learning. And we'd always encounter at least one other cautious looking learner driver sitting forward gripping the wheel in terrified hands grin I did think at the time that the residents might get fed up with it. But I suppose it's inevitable.

Haylstones Fri 01-Aug-08 16:42:40

Totally inevitable smile
I find myself smiling and being really polite to the instructors so they don't think I'm a stroppy cow whilst gritting my teeth and muttering under my breath.
Dh is Sick Of Hearing About It

greenlawn Fri 01-Aug-08 16:51:11

We have the same - but I've learned to accept it as part of the price to pay for living in a nice quiet road!

GrapefruitMoon Fri 01-Aug-08 16:52:07

Same problem on our route to school. Must be the driving test route...

Obviously people need to learn but some of them are incapable of even a left-hand turn. I sometimes wonder if there should be places for people to learn the basics before they are set loose on the public roads - think that's how they do it in the US...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now