Talk

Advanced search

Is my cleaner taking the p*ss?

(23 Posts)
JuneBugJen Fri 01-Aug-08 08:49:35

Become aware over last couple of weeks that my cleaner only cleans our house for 1hour whild I am out at work. I pay her £20 to do the house top to toe.
That means she is on £20 an hour, which is more than I am paid!

I wouldn't mind if she was really thorough, but yesterday there was still muck in the sink and a dead blue bottle fly on the window sill.

I am not a confrontational person. So thinking about just making an excuse and hiring my PIL cleaner. What do you think?

foofi Fri 01-Aug-08 08:51:03

If you aren't happy with her work, either get rid of her or explain to her what needs to change and see whether it does.

JuneBugJen Fri 01-Aug-08 08:55:12

You are right foofi, I guess I am just a bit intimidated by her (she is a bit rough!) so prob just need to get rid

cluckyagain Fri 01-Aug-08 08:59:32

I think you have to blunt and say that you pay for 2 hours work, not one hour. Alternatively you bottle out, say you don't need her anymore and then hire your PIL cleaner. I've done that before (when I could afford a cleaner!) when a lady we had didn't stay for nearly the time we were paying her for and when I asked her point blank if she had stayed for the full 2 hours she looked me in the eyes and lied outright.

mrschop Fri 01-Aug-08 09:00:35

If she is in your home, esp wen you are not, you have to be able to trust her. If you can't, then you need to find a new cleaner. I had this - we paid for 4 hours, and worked out that she was coming for less than 3. While the house was clean I didn't really care but as time went on it wasn't that clean, and I felt she was taking advantage of the fact we weren't there. So I just said we'd decided we didn't need a cleaner anymore.

I felt the trust was gone so what's the point of confronting her? If it was a question of 'can you do x differently' I would have had a discussion - it is her job after all, and I'd have given her a chance. But once I thought she was taking advantage, I'd had enough.

wb Fri 01-Aug-08 09:03:23

FWIW I think you should consider it somewhat differently? Ask yourself "can I see an hour's work here?"

An hour doesn't seem a lot to clean a whole house (and the pay, although very generous isn't really relevant - it is a question of whether there is time for her to do what you want her to do).

If you can see an hours work but its the wrong stuff then speak to her about priorities - or increase her time (£20 should quite happily cover 2 hrs IMO)

But if she is just not up to it then by all means get rid

wb Fri 01-Aug-08 09:05:02

Oh, have I misunderstood - is it £20 to clean the house, not £20 per hour? blush

If so, then what mrschop says.

jelliebelly Fri 01-Aug-08 09:05:54

If you don't trust her then sack her

JuneBugJen Fri 01-Aug-08 09:07:37

Ta for advice.
Seems like such a petty thing but feel bad about sacking her but also cross as always come back and find something not done.

I work hard and also have 2 kids so feel a bit annoyed that she thinks that she is giving good value for money.

Feel a bit of a fool actually.

Think may just go passive agressive way and tell her cant afford her then go with other cleaner.. Is that mean?

JuneBugJen Fri 01-Aug-08 09:08:08

£20 to clean house each week

ilovemydog Fri 01-Aug-08 09:16:04

if she's only doing an hour, could you say something like, 'can only afford to pay you for an hour; credit crunch and all that...'

She may not feel it's worth her while and quit.

But if she isn't doing a good job, I'd make some excuse and let her go.

mrschop Fri 01-Aug-08 09:16:17

No, not mean. There's some things are worth discussion (i.e. can you make sure you Jif the sink, not just spray it with Dettol) and there are some things that are not (i.e. can you stop ripping me off). Esp if you have a trustworthy alternative.

JuneBugJen Fri 01-Aug-08 09:51:53

Thank you all. Mrschop you have put it in a nutshell!
Will call her today. Will feel so guilty tonight tho'...

dmo Fri 01-Aug-08 09:52:22

think my cleaner would do this if i didnt work from home
leave your cleaner little notes ie to hoover under the beds/sofas etc

Ripeberry Fri 01-Aug-08 10:06:49

If i ever get a cleaner it would have to be someone i could trust 100% and be a nice person.
How can you even have someone in your house, without you being present, who you don't trust and in your own words is a "bit rough"?
What else could they be up to whilst you're away?

JuneBugJen Fri 01-Aug-08 10:07:09

dmo - would have thought that was it, but husband off yesterday and in house and said she only stayed 50 mins!

hifi Fri 01-Aug-08 10:18:53

she is definately taing the piss. we had one like this, thought she was doing us a favour.im a wuss and told her i would be doing it myself.

SunshineSmith Fri 01-Aug-08 10:23:43

uhm- 1 hour to clean a house... to clean my 1 bedroom appartment it takes me approx 3 to 4 hours to do it all properly: dust, sweep , mop, clean kitchen, bathroom, change bedding, clean windows plus tidy up..

JuneBugJen Fri 01-Aug-08 10:25:36

She is nice, probably more like 'a rough diamond' rather than 'a bit rough'.

I've trusted her in the house as she was recommended by a very reliable friend. But this friend did say 'she is not the best cleaner but is reliable'. ie, she does turn up every week.
Perhaps it was a case of 'buyer beware!' I was warned by the friend that she could be slapdash.

moondog Fri 01-Aug-08 10:28:34

What's the point of being 'reliable' if you don't do the fucking job??? Boot her out.

moondog Fri 01-Aug-08 10:29:02

She's reliable, sure. Reliable about turning up to claim no strings cash.

WideWebWitch Fri 01-Aug-08 10:35:42

Yes, she is taking the piss. Get another cleaner

batters Fri 01-Aug-08 10:38:32

Agree she is taking the piss.

Get another cleaner.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now