Talk

Advanced search

I am being unreasonable: to have just spent squillions of pounds on Disney Princess stuff for DD's 3rd birthday

(11 Posts)
nelliesmum Wed 30-Jul-08 23:29:41

when I have grown to loathe the sight of their simpering faces...

SNoraWotzThat Wed 30-Jul-08 23:32:20

3rd birhtdays are all about nonsense, fluff and pink girly delights. Who cares, enjoy. Too soon she'll be 13 and it will be all about makeup and gadgets.

nelliesmum Wed 30-Jul-08 23:33:24

Oh she'd do make-up if I let her...I can't help thinking that all this Princess business can't be healthy

SNoraWotzThat Wed 30-Jul-08 23:38:46

Does she like ti? Do her friends go "wow" and "ahhh" and want to try the dresses on and then they all dress up and walk around like princesses? So what, that is what some little girls consider to be very important, even if it las only a short while. Go with it. They are small for only a short time. Enjoy.

In a year they maybe tomboys. You are not influencing them, they are their own little beings.

nametaken Thu 31-Jul-08 00:43:44

No YANBU - this is one of the best things about girls IMO

reallyfatcow Thu 31-Jul-08 01:43:58

depends upon when birthday lands....about this time of year a massive sale starts and you might have been better waiting till the event or just after .... i like to send birthday fairy pennies for the disney shop for my daughter whose birthday is at the end of july. fortunately my youngest just doesn't care and only wanted a cup for her birthday, (i think she knows she can have all the oldest's hand-me downs anyway!!)

squilly Thu 31-Jul-08 08:47:16

At 3 we had Disney Princesses and I had sworn my girl wouldn't be pink and fluffy...but for a while she was.

At 5 she wanted dark blue walls in her bedroom and Doctor Who posters, which we finally agreed to after much nagging at 6.

Now she's 7 and has gone back to liking pink, but she still loathes Disney Princesses and Bratz and anything girly.

My own advice would be to put up with it in the short term. Banning this kind of thing just gives it an allure. My friends dd loved pink and princesses and my friend just didn't allow them. Her dd is now 9 and STILL loves pink and likes disney stuff. She'd have grown out of it by now if she'd been indulged a little imo.

Emjoy this stage. Before you know it, it'll be boys and heartbreaks!

Dilberta Thu 31-Jul-08 08:56:04

do they even notice birthdays really at 3? Mine didn't. dd is now 4 and has noticed a, birthdays cos we don't make a big thing and b, ghastly sweatshop Disney shite.
They only see it cos you buy it!

Love2bake Thu 31-Jul-08 08:56:14

I hate all that princess crap. Bring back Sindy!!!!

Dilberta Thu 31-Jul-08 08:57:42

that should be 'hasn't'

Botbot Thu 31-Jul-08 09:02:43

I hate it too. DD has just turned 2 and I'm bracing myself for it over the next couple of years. However, no Disney Princess stuff has as yet entered our house, and if it does it won't be at my instigation. Vile, loathsome cack.

My mum was going into raptures a while ago about Disney Princesses on Ice, which my aunt took all her granddaughters to. She was quite upset when I turned my nose up at it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now