Talk

Advanced search

to have complained about my driving instructor

(18 Posts)
giraffescantdancethetango Wed 30-Jul-08 18:26:14

I really dont know if I am, and I feel a bit guilty now for complaining, have had 3 lessons with him. (My first ever 3 lessons so no idea whats the done thing)

Things he has done that I didnt like -

1. talking on phone (not hands free) while he was driving
2. texting while he was driving
3. talking on phone and texting while I was driving
4. Constantly yawning and complaining how tired he is. (He did appologise for this at the end and explained his ds had been up at 4am)
5.Being moany, snappy and grumpy with me for things I am only just learning to do.
6. speaking in an almost constant droaning monotone and sitting reading parts of a book to me.
7. making me feel like a complete useless idiot.

I phoned up the company and am getting a free lesson with a new instructor.

So what are instructors normally like, have ibu?

edam Wed 30-Jul-08 18:28:23

YANBU at all. Phoning/texting while driving is terrible and illegal.

Hope new instructor is MUCH better. I've switched and new instructor is a revelation - I am actually enjoying lessons now!

FabioThatFirggingCat Wed 30-Jul-08 18:28:42

Blimey. he sounds like a reet shit.
I think I'd want 3 free lessons.
YANBU at all at all.

shybaby Wed 30-Jul-08 18:33:07

YANBU

Apart from number 6!

1. dangerous and illegal
2. dangerous and illegal
3. unprofessional and unhelpful (possibly dangerous if he is not paying full attention to your amateur driving)!
4. since when was his personal life your problem?
5. in which other kind of job would a person be permitted to snap at a customer?
7. see above.

notcitrus Wed 30-Jul-08 18:41:20

If you don't think you're comfortable with him and learning, then change. And phoning or texting is right out of order!

I did feel a bit guilty asking BSM if they could supply an instructor who could a) just get me through the sodding test, and b) not have a body odour problem... but the instructor they sent was lovely, assured me he changed his T-shirt and reapplied deoderant after every lesson in the summer, and got me to actually pass my test! So worth being picky. grin

giraffescantdancethetango Wed 30-Jul-08 18:43:32

lol at bo problem, least mind didn't have that problem.

It the way he spoke to me that upset me really. Fingers crossed I get a nice new one eh?

waitingtobloom Wed 30-Jul-08 18:46:32

YANBU at all - apart from doing illegal things he is miserable. My first instructor was horrible - just like this and ruined my confidence.

My second one was chilled out, complimentary and lovely. I ended up marrying him!

tiredemma Wed 30-Jul-08 18:48:22

I changed my instructor after he said "If Jade Goody can drive, then so can you"

Kbear Wed 30-Jul-08 18:52:34

YANBU.

I got my first driving instructor sacked because he kept touching my leg!!! creep

DontNeedAnything Wed 30-Jul-08 18:54:56

YANBU at all.

DP is an instructor and he hears many tales like this, sadly.

If you don't get on with your new instructor try an independant. A driving school gets pai by teh instructor for working - so some schools will take anyone on without references/interview/anything. Some instructors are great, others are not as good. The instructors do not have their wn reputation to think of.

An independant instructor has to work at making their own reputation. If they do the things you mention they would quickly find themselve out of the business (and therefore back with the big driving schools).

Many people dont realise that they have the right to an instructor they are comfortable with. TRy, try and try again until you find one that you are happy with.

ThePettyandIllinformedGoat Wed 30-Jul-08 18:56:36

i think the droning voice is par for the course. my instructor smoked cigars! i passed first time but the rare occasions i smell cigars and car air freshner tree things i am transported back to being a feckless 17 year old doing 3 pointn turns.

yanbu, driving lessons are bloody expensive and you deserve better.

notcitrus Wed 30-Jul-08 19:02:29

I should point out I went through about 8 instructors at various points over 7 years in different locations (passed fourth time) - only had one who was a snappy git so didn't go back to him. Independent is good if you can get a recommendation, but some people who are good at teaching car-obsessed 17-year-olds aren't good at un-techie-minded people who need confidence or practice to sort out the coordination - took me months to master doing different things with different feet...

Actually my last one confessed that his boring monologues about his cholesterol level were partly to ensure I concentrated on the road rather than him!

shybaby Wed 30-Jul-08 19:14:35

Ive had lessons three times (not three lessons) over the last 12 years and still cant drive. My first instructor one day couldn't make it so sent his smelly instructor friend instead.

So its my first lesson on a proper road (not trading estate), im driving along and he starts chatting on his mobile. I drive for ages. He suddenly finishes his call and says "Oh, I should have told you to turn off much sooner but I forgot, so we're going around this big island coming up" It had about 5 lanes!!!! (Well im not actually sure, but lots, with traffic lights, road markings and allsorts I hadn't seen before, like a ringroad).

I indicated, pulled the car over and said "I think you'll find we arent. YOU are driving me home". blush

Celery Wed 30-Jul-08 19:17:39

An instructor that you like and feel comfortable with is absolutely essential, I think. Don't feel bad at all about changing.

Flightputsonahat Wed 30-Jul-08 19:20:07

Message withdrawn

TheHedgeWitch Wed 30-Jul-08 19:21:10

Message withdrawn

giraffescantdancethetango Wed 30-Jul-08 19:37:55

Yup you were right witchy grin

TheHedgeWitch Wed 30-Jul-08 19:48:29

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now