Talk

Advanced search

to not want my dc (6 and 4) playing in/near the road as opposed to our driveway?

(5 Posts)
DrZeus Wed 30-Jul-08 18:16:21

I am fighting a battle atm. My two boys want to play with some of the other children in our road (cul-de-sac) who are a bit older and ride bikes. Trouble is they are riding up and down the road, which includes a bend too. I've told my two that they are not allowed in the road. Had to discipline ds1 yesterday as he was in the road three times - was eventually grounded.
Anyone got any good ideas how I can drill the message home? I'm shouting myself hoarse atm and getting very frustrated.

LynetteScavo Thu 31-Jul-08 00:14:09

Get some chalk and draw a line.

Tell them if you see them over the line, they're not allowed out.

(I've lived in a cul-de-sac and know how hard it is)

charliecat Thu 31-Jul-08 00:38:22

If they wont stay where you want them to then they dont go out at all. Very Very simple.
Its not worth scraping your kid off the road for.

DrZeus Thu 31-Jul-08 16:15:51

Like the chalk solution. I agree charliecat, just had to brace myself for the fallout. Doesn't help with DH being away this week so I have no backup (apart from on the phone). I found a poster (from the Think campaign) showing a teenager being knocked over through not looking where they were going and crossing the road whilst using a mobile phone, graphic I know. DS1 said after seeing it "Mummy, it's starting to make sense....." so I think the penny is beginning to drop. I'm also being positive, saying that I love them and wouldn't want anything bad to happen. Seems to be working.

charliecat Thu 31-Jul-08 16:59:24

I would personally say this is your only warning...If you go beyond that line you will not be allowed out here again till next year when maybe you will have grown up enough to do as you are told.

I showed my 10 year old dd the video for the THINK campaign as she wasnt looking when she crossed the road(STUPID STUPID GIRL, she just didnt seem to get it??!!) Had to ram something home at her.

I would also tell your boys that Just Because they have seen a car, does NOT mean that the driver of the car has seen them.
And that if a ball goes in the road they MUST go get you to get it from beyond the chalk line. No crossing it. For any reason.

Dont think you cant control them because DH isnt around. You are an adult too and I would imagine they spend most of the time with you, so its quite important that they know you are the boss too!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now