Talk

Advanced search

to not want to pay so much for shoes?

(3 Posts)
southernbelle77 Wed 30-Jul-08 17:39:43

I have just been to buy dd some school shoes as she has small feet so trying to get ones to fit is very hard and I didn't want to leave it until the end of the summer holidays and be left with nothing.

Went and had feet measured and they only had 2 pairs of school shoes in her size that I could get. Tried them on, one pair (start-rite) fitted much better than the Clarks ones so went for them. Got to the till and am told that it would be £39! YOU WHAT???? She is 4 years old! Not impressed. Have bought them anyway as I can not be left with her not getting any, but I will keep going around the shops to see if I can find something cheaper before then and then take these ones back.

Seriously, how can they justify charging that much for a pair of shoes that might only last her one term????

misi Wed 30-Jul-08 17:57:06

I have this problem, my son goes through shoes like mad. he has grown 3 shoe sizes since christmas but the clarks ones I get him are around £24 - £28 so not quite as expensive as yours.
owning my own business before, I could tell you how some manufacturers work out prices but there would be uproar if everyone knew, but take that shoe. it probably costs a chinese sweatshop around £2-£3 to make the shoe, then you add in admin, transport, marketing, sales costs (shop staff, premises, insurances etc etc etc, ) add in your profit margin, add on VAT if applicable, add on a cost for overall wastage and you come to a price, often all out of proportion to the actual cost of manufacture!!

stitch Wed 30-Jul-08 17:58:00

start rite is always that price.
having said that, dd's school shoes have lasted her the entire year. so not bad investment

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now