Talk

Advanced search

To think that this dad should not have taken his DD around the head and SWUNG her like a ragdoll, around and around

(24 Posts)
QuintessentialShadows Wed 30-Jul-08 16:06:18

In the same manner as when you take the childs hands and swing them around with their feet off the ground, while you go around in a circle on the spot....

She couldnt have been more than 18-24 months. He grabbed her around the head and swung her around. She held on to his hands with her hands, for dear life.

He also made a game of running towards her, like he was going to crash into her, and then jump OVER her....

I thought it was most bizzare.

This is the first time I have ever posted about some sort of parenting thingy I have witnessed, but am I right in thinking this head spinning is not an acceptable form of fun???

Day out at the beach btw.

Thisismynewname Wed 30-Jul-08 16:07:34

Christ, he sounds insane.

psychomum5 Wed 30-Jul-08 16:07:52

how bizarre!

did the child seem to be finding it funny??

there are certainly some odd parents out there I have to say!

NotQuiteCockney Wed 30-Jul-08 16:08:07

The arm spinning thing is a recipe for shoulder dislocation. Sit next to anyone who's worked in an ER while parents are doing this, and the wincing and cringing will drive you mad!

That being said, holding her head like that sounds like a recipe for neck damage ...

GooseyLoosey Wed 30-Jul-08 16:11:34

I thought that this was going to be a joke. Head spinning is most definately not acceptable!

QuintessentialShadows Wed 30-Jul-08 16:13:33

No sorry, I wish it was a joke. I was thinking about the poor little girls neck.

And if she develops a problem, the poor mum is unlikely to know why unless he fess up to what he did. (unless of course he is a single parent)

QuintessentialShadows Wed 30-Jul-08 17:30:29

You reckon she would suffer any ill effects from that? I keep thinking about it...

QuintessentialShadows Wed 30-Jul-08 17:30:29

You reckon she would suffer any ill effects from that? I keep thinking about it...

sherby Wed 30-Jul-08 17:32:27

DP jumps over DD like that all the time

Head swinging thing is very weird

Kassius Wed 30-Jul-08 17:36:42

my dad used to do this to us!! had completely forgotten til now.
he was slightly mad, but lots of fun and we were fine, there is, apparently a knack to it (trying to think of circus act that does something pretty much the same but cant)

QuintessentialShadows Wed 30-Jul-08 20:02:51

Wow Kassius - and you never had any problems with your neck?

daisydora Wed 30-Jul-08 20:05:58

My dad does 'leapfrog' over DD (he is slighly mad though...), but the head spinnning thing - completely bonkers!!!!

HumphreyPillow Wed 30-Jul-08 20:10:14

Kassius, my Dad was the same.

He'd put his hands either side of our heads, over our ears.
We'd hold his wrists, and he'd spin us round, doing one or two revolutions.

He wouldn't have done it to us at such a tiny age though.
We were sort of able to support our own weight.

Although looking back, it was not the most sensible of games.

noonki Wed 30-Jul-08 20:11:23

My dad also swung us round like this - will have to ask him hwo he did it?!

I don't appear to have too many probs....hang on a minute... this explains a thing or two!

fryalot Wed 30-Jul-08 20:13:49

dp sometimes lifts dd2 (not swings her round though) by her head.

He's actually lifting her by her arms, he just manages to make it look like he lifts her by her head.

He won't do it with ds because ds doesn't realise that dp needs to hold on to his arms.

It looks very dangerous, but in reality is perfectly safe. Could this have been what you saw?

whatdayisit Wed 30-Jul-08 20:15:05

My DH has a trick where he is apparently picking up DC's by the ears, but they are actually supporting their weight with their hands on his wrists. They love it. Are you sure this wasn't similar?

NotDoingTheHousework Wed 30-Jul-08 20:15:14

Message withdrawn

QuintessentialShadows Wed 30-Jul-08 20:15:47

Not sure about that Squonk. He lifted her up holding both hands over her ears, with his fingers under her chin. She then placed her hands ontop of his.

HumphreyPillow Wed 30-Jul-08 20:17:30

So she was facing away from him, not towards him?

fryalot Wed 30-Jul-08 20:18:28

dp does it the other way, QS, with his hands over her ears, but his fingers pointing upwards.

She then holds on to his arm and he makes a big fuss of going "liii-iiift" and lifts her up - like whatdayisit describes

QuintessentialShadows Wed 30-Jul-08 20:31:12

Well, she was looking down to the sand, her body being in a 90 degree angle out from HIS body as they picked up speed.

QuintessentialShadows Wed 30-Jul-08 20:32:14

But I guess Squonk, they way THEY do it then, she carries most of her weight on her own arms, not on her head?

This little girl only placed her hand on his, and she was only tiny...

fryalot Wed 30-Jul-08 20:33:00

yes, she is basically holding herself on to his wrists

SheikYerbouti Wed 30-Jul-08 20:47:35

DP used to jump over DS1, but doesn't now, as he is too tall and DP worries about his bolleaux + DS1's head

head swiunging is odd

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now