Talk

Advanced search

to want a new and rather expensive buggy

(51 Posts)
Shesellsseashells Wed 30-Jul-08 09:07:25

even though dd is 2 and won't need it for all that long. But I WAANNNNNTTT IT!!!!!! here. Her current buggy is on its last legs.

I am not having anymore kids and always wanted one like this. I could always sell it on EBay afterwards. DH says unnecessary but as he won't hardly ever be pushing it about then I think I should be the one to choose. I know I am being a big baby but I want it.........right now!

mumfor1standmaybe2ndtime Wed 30-Jul-08 09:09:26

Pointless imo! Get her walking!

But then I couldn't afford to have such a luxury with a child age 2. I have been using a 24 year old Maclaren with ds and a £34 pushchair from Mothercare.

RubySlippers Wed 30-Jul-08 09:09:33

well YABU, but you know that smile

i am staggered at how much buggies cost TBH

even if you did EBAY it, you wouldn't get the full value back for it

save your money IMO - it is an uneccesary expense

Shesellsseashells Wed 30-Jul-08 09:15:45

In my defence we don't have a car so walk everywhere and often cover miles in a day - DS on his scooter and dd in her brand new, unnecessarily expensive buggy hopefully. So she does actually need a new one.

theSuburbanDryad Wed 30-Jul-08 09:22:20

I have heard that the Maclaren Techno is not very good. If you really need a new buggy, get a cheap stroller from Mothercare - we have this one, and i've heard that the Chicco stroller is very good!

SuperSillyus Wed 30-Jul-08 09:41:20

I think you should get it. It's not as expensive as some buggies are. You don't drive so you'll get plenty of use. Why not if you really want it?
People spend that much on handbags, shoes, make up, hair colourings.....car repairs

go for it! smile

MamaG Wed 30-Jul-08 09:42:19

To me it depends on whether you can afford it or not.

If you'll have to scrimp to buy it: don't.

If you are loaded: do!

Fimbo Wed 30-Jul-08 09:46:14

I have had many a buggy over a 10 year span, I like you don't drive and tbh those wheels on the one you like will not last long and then you will need another............smile

Fimbo Wed 30-Jul-08 09:47:21

The Chicco one looks good!

cafebistro Wed 30-Jul-08 09:48:58

I say get it...why not if you can afford it and it makes you happy.grin

scottishmum007 Wed 30-Jul-08 09:49:26

in the current climate of people worrying over money and the cost of living, i'd say yabu, just save your money for something more essential.

belgo Wed 30-Jul-08 09:50:09

If you can afford it, buy it. Walking everywhere with a decent buggy is far cheaper then owning a car. And if you walk every where, you will probably get nearly two years use out of it. That was my arguement when I bought a new pram recently (am also expecting third child) - my other prams are knackered from one cobble stone too many, and I really needed a new one.

Guadalupe Wed 30-Jul-08 09:56:00

I don't drive and walk miles and I found the cheaper umbrellas wore out, we went through three or four with dd. I am goig to get ds22 a maclaren when he's out of his pram.

frazzledoldbag34 Wed 30-Jul-08 09:59:39

Oh just get it!
(If you can afford it, obviously).
And sell it on ebay when you're done - but take REALLY GOOD CARE OF IT so you can sell it as hardly used and get a bit chunk of money back.

belgo Wed 30-Jul-08 10:01:42

And of course a new buggy is far more environmentally friendly then a buying a car, and a good buggy is far better for your shoulders and back. I had awful shoulder pain dur to a rubbish pram.

kitsmummy Wed 30-Jul-08 13:05:20

Oh get it, definitely. You'll need a new buggy if yours is dying and DD only 2. It's a maclaren so not majorly expensive (thought you might be hankering for a bugaboo or something), so perfectly justifiable in my opinion.

nappyaddict Wed 30-Jul-08 13:07:48

Why don't you try to get the same one second hand? then you wouldn't lost much when you sell it on.

AnAngelWithin Wed 30-Jul-08 13:08:02

look out! you'll have the 'pink buggys are yuck' brigade here soon!!

misdee Wed 30-Jul-08 13:13:10

pink buggies are yuk!

the XLR is huge though. its bigger than a techno XT.

if you love the colourcombo though then look at the quest in pink and brown. (yuk)

Flightputsonahat Wed 30-Jul-08 13:14:33

You could get it but it isn't worth spending that much on it - there are far cheaper offers on the net.
I got a techno when it was reduced to 139.99, used a £10 off voucher from the back of their store magazine, and also got a store card that day so another £10 off = £119.99.
I sold it pretty soon for the same amount, as it was just sitting there - ds was still in a pram and I got a lovely, hardly used Quest (still Maclaren, but simpler) for £15 at the boot fair. I get seduced by shiny stuff too but it wears off very quickly once it's here - keep the wrappers, don't use it, or use it a very little, and then ebay it.

You'll probably find a much reduced one there anyway if you have a look smile

Flightputsonahat Wed 30-Jul-08 13:17:06

Mind you we had just got a car which was why I didn't use it much.

I sometimes long not to have the car, despite it being a godsend at times...I liked the fun of planning our walks, and the exercise was good too.

I;ve had a lot of buggies this time but sold most now as we just don't use them a lot. Have moved nearer town though so we're walking more smile

TheCrackFox Wed 30-Jul-08 13:21:23

I too can't drive so I know you will really get your moneys worth out of the buggy. Just buy it, realistically you will need the buggy for another year if you don't have a car.

misdee Wed 30-Jul-08 13:22:01

save loada money plus points as well they take paypal as well

MatNanPlus Wed 30-Jul-08 13:26:54

Wow Misdee it is cheaper even before the 20% reduction.

misdee Wed 30-Jul-08 13:34:56

always worth looking anywhere but mothjercare.

kiddicare also a good place to look. but boots has the best deal atm i think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now