Talk

Advanced search

to prefer my hair when it's not "done" ?

(10 Posts)
whatdayisit Tue 29-Jul-08 22:31:06

A couple of months ago I had my long straggly hair cut into a textured bob (or at least that's what the expensive hairdresser called it)

Now, I love this hair cut and it can be blow-dried into huge bouncyness, but I like it best when I tip my head upside down and dry it with my fingers, 2 mins max.

Hairdresser is horrified at the lack of "product" grin

I'm a fairly natural girl anyway, little makeup, natural hair colour, now showing some streaks from the sun and I think it looks good (in a natural beachbabe way, if that's possible pushing 40) Am I convincing myself, so I can be lazy? I am v. grateful to the hairdresser for the cut, but embarrassed to go back for a trim without blow-drying first.

Anglepoise Tue 29-Jul-08 23:04:28

I have had years of conversations with hairdressers who are unable to grasp the fact that I don't own a hair drier grin

If you prefer it not "done" then grin, feel smug and enjoy it!

Ivegotaheadache Tue 29-Jul-08 23:10:46

I actually spend ages doing my hair so that it doesn't look 'done' as I hate that look (on myself). But since it takes so long I usually wear it in a ponytail as I have very little spare time to do hair.

And whenever I come out of the hairdresser, I always stick it up and go home and wash it and do it myself.

Capital Tue 29-Jul-08 23:15:34

Absolutely agree. They give you a smart choppy thing using razors and any surgical equipment to hand then blow dry the whole thing up into a massive bouffant. Wrong.

At home, hair is lucky if it sees a bit of tousling putty to mess up the just washed look.

MsHighwater Tue 29-Jul-08 23:32:45

YANBU. Find another hairdresser. Mine is very relaxed about my similar tendencies. Nowadays, she doesn't blow dry my hair either (although I do "blast" it at home) but puts me under that big heat thingy. Result? I recognise myself when I leave the salon and my haircut is cheaper, to boot!

Alambil Wed 30-Jul-08 01:34:01

I mostly never use "product" on my hair other than shampoo and conditioner!

I hardly ever "style" it either, favouring the "blast" hairdryer effect instead.

I don't care what my hairdresser thinks; she ain't the one that's living with it!

whatdayisit Wed 30-Jul-08 09:48:11

Phew - they way the hairdresser carries on you'd think I was the only slatten in the world who doesn't spend £30 on "product" everythime she visits and 30 mins faffing every morning.

I love the haircut though....suspect it's only becasue it's such a good cut that I can get away with doing so little, so I think I'll put up with him smile

GrapefruitMoon Wed 30-Jul-08 09:52:36

My hairdresser knows I don't do blow-drying - and cuts my hair so it doesn't need it (mostly!) I usually hate how it looks when I leave the salon though - when she blow-dries it I always feel it makes me look 10 years older (than I feel inside!)

branflake81 Wed 30-Jul-08 15:48:50

My hairdresser always tries to flog me some ridiculously overpriced shampoo (£20!!!) because apparently it will make my hair flatter. Even if it does, I don't think that's worth £20.

elmoandella Wed 30-Jul-08 15:58:21

mines knows i only come twice a year. last december she had a good laugh coz she checked up the diary and i'd not been to see her for exactly 1 year to the day.

i always get all chopped up to a short bob. get it all styled. then let it grow out. dye and all. then when she chops it off again the hair is in great condition as the bit thats left has never been dyed.

she also chooses a colour that will fade to a nice colour.and she only dies the under side of my hair so i dont get rootd.

it's all about having a good hairdresser.

i'd change if i were you too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now