Talk

Advanced search

to want dh to teach ds how to drop kick a ball?

(15 Posts)
deaconblue Tue 29-Jul-08 19:28:23

I am hopelessly uncoordinated and was rubbish at sport through school so I think part of this is that I want ds to be able to play sport well enough to enjoy it and not feel embarrassed when he's older.
Anyway I think dh should use his talent for sport and should teach ds how to catch, kick, drop kick a ball. He says I'm trying to control how he plays with his son and that ds will learn for himself when he's older. He is only 2 but I think if we could start him off enjoying sporty stuff early it would help when he's older.
so am I being controlling or am I right that he should want to play sports with ds?

Alambil Tue 29-Jul-08 19:30:28

He's 2 - it will come...

You are being a tad controlling. Let DH and DS have FUN - kids learn football and skills through normal "kick the ball in the park" play; it doesn't need to be structured.

nickytwotimes Tue 29-Jul-08 19:30:46

Sorry, but I think you are being controlling on this.
It's good to run around with the kids and keep them fit, but he's only 2. I'm sure dh will teach him these skills as he grows.

Alambil Tue 29-Jul-08 19:36:33

If you're really worried, some football teams take kids from 3yo - look into it in your area

thomsc Tue 29-Jul-08 19:39:22

2? drop kick? wow... relax!

My not-quite-2 ds loves playing 'kick-kick' and trying to throw the ball at me, but it's all been at his pace. Far better to just encourage DH to use a little ball sometimes when they are playing. They'll come up with their own games.

deaconblue Tue 29-Jul-08 19:42:10

2 of his little friends can drop kick and their mums said they play ball with their dads a lot. Made me think dh should be making more effort to do things that he is good at with ds.

Ellbell Tue 29-Jul-08 19:42:42

Your ds may take after you! And if he does, no amount of 'teaching' at 2, 12 or 22 will help.

Sorry... that sounds a bit brutal (and I'm not normally a brutal poster, honestly) but I think that you need to cultivate more of a 'whatever floats your boat' kind of an attitude. Your ds may end up being good at sports, like your dh, and that's great; but if he ends up with two left feet... well, that's just fine too, because he's bound to have other talents (as I'm sure you do) which you or your dh can help him to cultivate.

I write this as someone who is more hopelessly uncoordinated than the most hopelessly uncoordinated thing you can possibly imagine multiplied by a zillion. Sports days and even normal PE lessons were agony for me at school. It looks at if my dd1 is going to take after me in this (though at least she doesn't have milk-bottle-bottom specs, so can at least see the ball she is failing to catch/kick/hit), that it is just fine to be crap at sports and that it doesn't mean that you have to be a 'couch potato' either. Despite my general sporting crapness, I walked a marathon in June and I can also do a passable dressage test on a horse. There are other things your ds will be able to do to keep fit and healthy, even if he inherits your non-sporty gene.

My own parents were in total denial that their children were anything other than perfect [obviously I am nearly perfect wink] and used to insist that I was good at sports (and not tone-deaf either... ouch!). This has just made me reluctant to trust other people's assessments of how good or otherwise I am at stuff (even stuff which I am objectively not bad at). So my approach with my own dds has been to focus on the positive, but not to deny that they may be less good at some other things. It's possible to do this without making them feel like failures, and, as I said, lack of sporting ability doesn't have to equate with blobby and obese, any more than tone-deaf has to equate with an inability to enjoy the music of others.

nickytwotimes Tue 29-Jul-08 19:43:50

Jeez, my ds is 2 and has only just learned to kick a ball.

Ellbell Tue 29-Jul-08 19:44:45

Oops, I lost a line there, sorry. Was meant to say that my dd looks as if she is going to take after me, but I am trying to show her that it is just fine to... etc.

bogie Tue 29-Jul-08 19:47:36

He will pick it up in his own time ds has amazing hand eye coordination and balance he is 2.6 and his nursery comment all the time how he can serve a tennis ball do 2 kick up's wack a golf ball really far ect but his best friend can't do any of that but he can run like the wind loads faster than ds they all do things in a different order.
If you want him to play football I suggest you try and get him into these classes ds does them and it brings him on alot [[ http://www.socatots.com/content2/]]

bogie Tue 29-Jul-08 19:48:50

www.socatots.com/content2/ here

Shoegazer Tue 29-Jul-08 19:49:14

You are being controlling, he is only 2! If you really want to play ball with him why not take the opportunity for abit of self improvement and try to learn for yourself rather than asking your DH to start coaching him. You said that your think your DH should be making the effort to do things that he is good at with DS, well maybe you should be making the effort to do things you dislike with him. Just because you don't like sport doesn't mean that you are excused from any ball play with your DS! Also, why should your DS have to learn to play sport well enough to enjoy it? He either will or he won't. YABU.

RhinestoneCowgirl Tue 29-Jul-08 19:53:15

I'm completely unco-ordinated and hated sport/PE at school. I don't know my left from my right and had difficulty catching a ball myself until DH taught me early in our courtship blush

But... DS is nearly 2 and I love to play catch, kick a ball around with him - that's all they need at this age isn't it? I want him to enjoy running around and being active (I'm fairly active myself, just not sporty), but don't think it has to be that structured.

I think YABabitU, and that your DH is ont he right track, sorry...

thomsc Tue 29-Jul-08 20:07:49

ok.. perhaps YANBU...

I do sometimes take my ds to Lambeth Dribblers (a free dads and tots football thing in Brixton) but mainly to get him sooooo tired that I get a decent evening on a Friday night.

He just runs around like a giggling nutter, ignoring the ball control skill lessons that the older kids are doing. He has worked out that you are meant to kick the ball in to the big netty things at the ends of the room, oh, and shout "GOAL"

deaconblue Wed 30-Jul-08 18:47:21

I do play ball with him lots, it's just that I'm pretty useless whereas dh is pretty good. I get the point that I should let it come naturally though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now