Talk

Advanced search

To think that some commuters are bone idle..........

(20 Posts)
lucyellensmum Tue 29-Jul-08 11:16:02

We live in a road that runs perpendicular to the train station. During the week, up to about 8pm we can't park down our road because of commuters who seem unable to walk anywhere. They all park their cars in the adjacent roads to the station. This infuriates me N times more than the school run mums (excluding those who are dropping off then going to work or somewhere afterwards). For god sake, use your fecking legs, you know, if you put one in front of the other, you can WALK, its not that difficult - sometimes you can even walk all the way home from the train station, which in my estimate is roughly a max journey of about 20 minutes in this town. OK so some people live out of town and can't be expected a trek before work, but i know full well that some people only live ten minute walks away.

I thought we were supposed to be saving enery.

OK, so i don't drive so it is easier for me to be holier than thou, but i walk everywhere and think nothing of an hours walk to get somewhere. People i know are genuinely shock that i would walk so far. It was funny the other week as we were on a group visit to the zoo, i was ambling around as it really wasnt that far, the other mums were all bemoaning how far it was to walk round hmm

Thisismynewname Tue 29-Jul-08 11:19:52

YABU

1) you actually have no idea of the distance the car owners live from the station.

2) you have no idea how mobile these people are.

3) you have no idea how busy their schedules are - they might be quite capable of working but if it saves them 15 minutes each way in a really busy day then to them it is probably worth it.

4) you have no idea if they have to then go on somewhere else before home - pick up a child from nursery, go to the supermarket.

4) you don't own the street and unless it is resident permit parking only they have as much right to park there as you do.

5) you don't even drive so why do you care if you can't park?

branflake81 Tue 29-Jul-08 11:21:13

I can drive but never do. In fact, I can't remember the last time I used the car. I walk everywhere too, or get the bus if I have stuff to carry.

My boss lives ten minutes walk from the office but still drives, even though it takes twice as long because of the road system and traffic lights. Madness.

Miggsie Tue 29-Jul-08 11:23:33

YANBU the commuters by our local station park dreadfully and block the roads so they are single width ways only and it is hell trying to drive round there, endless backing up if you meet a car in the other direction...school buses use it too, and it's hell on earth

I walk in preference to driving but I find it funny that people drive to the local playground in order so their kids can run around then park in a place where they block the road in order that their kids only have to walk 3 metres to the playground...whereby they run round screaming for hours, I always walk DD to playgrounds so she is so fit!

ClareVoiant Tue 29-Jul-08 11:26:09

Actually, i don't think yabu about parking for the station in your street. Because, they are probably parking there because it is free instead of paying the station rates. However, your reasoning as to why they don't walk is perhaps a little unreasonable.

3littlefrogs Tue 29-Jul-08 11:26:45

One thing that would help, would be if the local council just put double yellow lines down one side of these narrow roads.

We had a huge problem locally because of school run and commuter parking. After years of pressure on the council, they did this - problem solved overnight.

lucyellensmum Tue 29-Jul-08 11:27:24

ahhh, just thought id stir things up a little

New name, how do you KNOW that i don't own the street wink.

I just think that half of the fat fuckers who park down our street could do with the exercise. Ive watched them behind twitching curtains, all fat men suited and booted grin, you're right though, they probably have to drive to the pub on the way home

Thisismynewname Tue 29-Jul-08 11:28:14

Oh ffs, just leave them alone Mrs Judgeypants.

stitch Tue 29-Jul-08 11:29:07

yabr
most commuters are reasonably fit individuals. they have to be.
most live where they do, because it is near a train station
most may be very busy, but those with a little bit of smarts realise that if they walk for half an hour, they dont have to fork out time and money for gym memberships
whilst she may not own the street, she does have to live there, and she is only ranting. not going out with a pickaxe
the fact that she doesnt drive, makes it even more annoying. because sh e knows how easy it is not to drive

mayorquimby Tue 29-Jul-08 11:29:25

if it's a public street with public parking then yabu. if they have paid their road tax and are not in violation of any parking restrictions they are perfectly entitled to park there.
how does it even affect you if you don't drive?

Bumdiddley Tue 29-Jul-08 11:31:23

YANBU - its gets on my nerves too. But as I usually say I don't own a car and laugh at car owners dilemmas!

stitch Tue 29-Jul-08 11:31:36

the council have solved this problem where we live, by having parking restrictions apply from 11 to midday. that way, people cant leave their cars parked all day on a residential road.

and fwiw, most people i know, do walk to the station.

lucyellensmum Tue 29-Jul-08 11:34:54

Thats Dr Judgeypants to you!!!

Actually, i'm not really bothered about it as such, apart from thinking that they are being lazy and not very eco (i watch ceebeebies so i know that we all have to do our bit other wise WE ARE ALL DOOMED, DOOMED I TELL YA).

What really bothers me though, is the fuckwits at the end of the road. Now the road is the same width all along. Its narrow, so everyone parks on the same side. Apart from the houses at the end. For some reason they create a slalem that one day is going to present a problem for the emergency services. I mean how difficult is it to have to cross the road to get to your house???? Now THAT pisses me off. Im tempted to get some big strong men to help me push all the cars to one side of the road and leave patronising little notes saying "see, look how much easier it is like this"

gagamama Tue 29-Jul-08 14:36:16

I think YABU - they probably park on the street because they resent having to fork out £800 a year on car parking when they're already paying £3000 a year for their train tickets! (As I used to! Although for the record, I did walk to the station.) And when they get home from a long day at work an hour later than they're meant to because of some stupid delay, in a packed, dirty, stuffy train full of prats talking loudly on their mobiles and being prodded by the elbows of people reading broadsheet newspapers, it's probably quite nice to just jump in the car and get home 5 minutes later.

I really feel for them in this weather. I couldn't go back to enduring that every single day.

kittywise Wed 30-Jul-08 08:24:42

lucyellensmum, I agree with you.
You certainly are not the judgy one here
Well done on keeping calm smile

milknosugar Wed 30-Jul-08 08:41:52

YANBU, just because they have a job which means they have to travel a long way doesnt mean its ok to make other peoples lives difficult by taking all the spaces on your street (im in a similar situation, getting shopping delivered is always fun, we have to totally block the road). most people in cars do not need to use the car, they should put petrol prices up a lot then people would think twice about whether or not to get off their lazy bottoms. you could have some sort of scheme for discount petrol for people who genuinely needed it.

Thisismynewname Wed 30-Jul-08 08:44:32

Kittywise, loving the fact that you think the following:

"I just think that half of the fat fuckers who park down our street could do with the exercise."

Isn't judgey, whether said in jest or not!

kittywise Wed 30-Jul-08 08:49:06

thisismynewname, I don't understand why you should get so riled though. It was rather a strong and aggressive reply reply to the op imo.

Thisismynewname Wed 30-Jul-08 09:34:29

The strength of my reply was based on the fact that I think calling people "fat fuckers" is deeply offenseive, kittywise.

kittywise Wed 30-Jul-08 11:39:05

thisismynewname:yes I see that you do. I think the terminology is very funny.
It is true to say that a great many people are surgically attached to their cars and should indeed get off their backsides and walk somewhere.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now