Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To expect these people to not leave their cars at the end of my drive?????

(22 Posts)
mosschops30 Tue 29-Jul-08 10:36:36

Having alienated myself from 2 families in the street already over parking issues blush I am reluctant to cause another scene, but I am becoming more and more angry as the days go on.

A large family live in the corner house, they have parking for maybe 2-3 cars, but between them have 3 cars plus a gypsy type van thing.

We have a long front garden and driveway which we can park both our cars on.

They have left one of their cars at the end of my drive now for 6 days without moving it. Its not blocking the drive as such but is restricting our entrance and exit, its parked where the kerb goes down (which you shouldnt) and on the pavement (which you shouldnt).

I have no objection to them parking it there if theyre stuck for space one night, but to leave it there for 6 days is taking the piss IMHO

MamaG Tue 29-Jul-08 10:37:55

mossy if its not blocking your drive, then bite your tongue and try not to let it bother you

SqueakyPop Tue 29-Jul-08 10:38:49

If it's not blocking your drive, what is the problem?

glaskham Tue 29-Jul-08 10:40:04

Tell me about it!! we have a nice little old lady who lives next door, and her brother visits once or twice a week, and every single time he parks his car almost half over our drive!!! Drives me mad enough.... how's he supposed to know if we want to go out or if DH is coming home and wants to park in our drive.

If i get this angry about a car over my drive for an hour or so, then i can totally understand your frustration!!

Electricgooberella Tue 29-Jul-08 10:40:53

Officially, they are doing nothing wrong, but I can see why them being there is pissing you off.
Sadly you have to let it go.

SqueakyPop Tue 29-Jul-08 10:41:22

But your problem is that your drive is actually blocked - that's not on.

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 29-Jul-08 10:41:26

Message withdrawn

claricebeansmum Tue 29-Jul-08 10:41:53

This would drive me mad.
Are cars allowed to be parked on the pavement? If not ring up parking enforcemnent and tell them about it.

Anonymous revenge grin

whoops Tue 29-Jul-08 10:41:59

I came down our drive yesterday to find a car parked right at the bottom like that.
If it was still there when I got home I would have reported it (I didn't have a clue whose it was) as it was obstructing my vision
6 days is taking the p*ss YANBU
can you let them know it is causeing a small problem with blocking the vision for getting in/out of the driveway?

Fimbo Tue 29-Jul-08 10:43:12

Mossy haven't fallen out with neighbours as such but we have the same kind of problems (new build estate!). My neighbour thinks his friends should be able to park on the pavement right outside our front door (door opens out basically on to the pavement - you know what new build are like). I have now put plant pots out and no-one parks there, it probably looks petty but if you don't take a stance people think they can just walk all over you. If my neighbour parked on his own drive properly there would be room for his friends too.

Dragonbutter Tue 29-Jul-08 10:44:29

I have this problem.
Every once in a while particularly if the weather is atrocious I park my own car where they like to park, so they go and bother somebody else and get soaking wet walking farther to the house.
Like others have said, there's not much you can do, and it's really not worth the aggro. But why don't you park you own cars either side of your drive when they go out.
It makes me feel a bit better grin

mosschops30 Tue 29-Jul-08 10:44:36

its not blocking but it is restricting, i cant move my car without ds moving his when theirs is parked there because of the way our neighbour parks her car (and she does this to prevent the same thing).

And legally you are not allowed to park on the pavement or where a kerb is lowered because that means 'access required'.

Like I said I dont mind the odd time, but they have left it there for 6 days without moving it once. Plus there is room for them to move it along slightly enabling us to move our cars

StarlightMcKenzie Tue 29-Jul-08 10:44:37

Message withdrawn

mosschops30 Thu 31-Jul-08 11:03:38

ok so I have been round twice now, and asked the son to pass on the message because the parents have not been there and he 'cant drive'!

The car is still there, hampering my ability to get in and out of the drive. Its been there for a week now and hasnt moved once.

I am on the verge of going round and losing my temper, I have asked nicely twice surely thats enough. I even said to him yesterday that I didnt mind it being there as long as it was moved round a bit so we could use all our driveway

AlistairSim Thu 31-Jul-08 11:09:10

Could you try telling them that you are worried that you will scratch it, as it is so close?
Could be a good reason for moving it without making you look like a controlling loon?

Not that I'm suggesting you are, of course grin

wingandprayer Thu 31-Jul-08 11:12:13

I know how you feel. We live opposite sports hall and people regularly park right across my drive or right on the edge of it making access tricky as you describe. Is always some old fart claiming he didn't see it was a drive - are you blind!!!!

You are going to have to talk calmly to neighbours or just be prepared to let it go, which I know is easier said than done. Ask the son next door for the keys and you move the car if he can't. If you get angry with them, they may do it more just to spite you and although it is extremely annoying at present having a full on feud with inconsiderate neighbours would make life far worse.

bluefox Thu 31-Jul-08 11:14:18

YANBU! I may be unreasonable and have no rights to the space but I dont like anyone parking at the front of my house (otherwise anyone visiting me has to park a long way away).This makes it esp difficult for my dad (disabled).

Hecate Thu 31-Jul-08 11:14:27

phone the - can you phone the traffic wardens? They'll be round in a flash if there's a ticket in it for them! grin

2point4kids Thu 31-Jul-08 11:15:42

If its parked illegally and its impending your access, you have asked twice and no luck, then report it.
Traffic wardens will jump at the chance to come and give them a ticket!

mosschops30 Thu 31-Jul-08 11:16:09

I already have that with their neighbours, he refused to move his sil's van from the end of my drive, so I threatened to call the police because he was illegally parked, he moved it and didnt park there again.

Im not worried about them doing anything to spite me, its par for the course on this street, everyone parks strategically, some neighbours dont speak to others because of parking disputes.

Its tiresome, but this family seem to have 5 cars this week, they cant expect to park them all over the street

mosschops30 Thu 31-Jul-08 11:18:01

the problem with calling the police or traffic wardens is that my neighbour parks his van on the pavement overnight. Neither him nor any of his family ever block the driveway, if they cant get in they go and park on the main road which I really appreciate.
I dont want them to get collared too, when they park with more thought than the others

suedonim Thu 31-Jul-08 12:17:23

Let the nice neighbour know you intend to call the parking folks wrt to the annoying people's car, then they can park on the main road.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now