Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

to take a bundle of dirty laundry on holiday with us (to do there) because I cannot get the whole lot done before we go?

(38 Posts)
eekamoose Mon 28-Jul-08 21:05:05

We are taking car on ferry over to France.

Its self catering, so have to take all our towels and sheets as well as clothes.

In RL I do a load of laundry every day. There's just no way I can get 14 days worth of clean clothes, bedding and towels done before we set off.

Cottage in Brittany has a washing machine. Am I the only Mnetter who has ever contemplated doing this or actually done it?

cafebistro Mon 28-Jul-08 21:07:38

Have never done it but have taken unironed clothes and ironed them while i was on holiday

cafebistro Mon 28-Jul-08 21:09:12

Wouldnt it be easier to take say a weeks worth of clothes, bedding ,towels etc and just wash them while you're there, rather than actually taking dirty laundry??

Sidge Mon 28-Jul-08 21:11:05

I wouldn't take dirty stuff, but have taken the bare minimum as I know I can do laundry when away.

I certainly wouldn't take 14 days worth of stuff if there is a washing machine there.

Janni Mon 28-Jul-08 21:15:56

Sort of defeats the object of having a holiday....

HongKongFoeey Mon 28-Jul-08 21:16:23

it would be mad to take dirty stuff. just take a small amount of stuff and then wash while you are there.
what kind of holiday wll it be for you if you start off with a load of dirty washing?hmm

ThatBigGermanPrison Mon 28-Jul-08 21:17:13

So pack 7 days worth and wash while you are there, yes?

Cicatrice Mon 28-Jul-08 21:17:21

Went abroad with friends who had the bare minimum of (dirty) clothes and then washed them every other day.

Used all their luggage allowance to bring back wine.

This was pre DC, I bet they don't do it now!

I take less with me if there is a washing machine. Actually if there wasn't a washing machine, I wouldn't go..

misdee Mon 28-Jul-08 21:20:59

take less clothes and wash when there. take 4 days maybe?

chipmonkey Mon 28-Jul-08 21:22:27

I have brought damp clothes on holsblush because I couldn't get them dry on time and I knew where we were going was hot and drying not a problem! But I wouldn't do it intentionally. I think TBGP's idea is the best, even 3-4 days worth of clothes per person would work if you have a washing machine.

eekamoose Mon 28-Jul-08 21:25:05

Oh its me and my completely OCD laundry regime I suppose. I have terrible rules about what goes in with what. Always catches me out this time of year. I agree cicatrice - I wouldn't go if there wasn't a washing machine.

Are the rest of you saying you go on hols for 2 weeks and don't do any washing while you are away?

MsDemeanor Mon 28-Jul-08 21:26:28

14 days worth of stuff isn't really much though - it's a few changes of clothes and a bedding set for each person (on the grounds that it will either be hot enough to wash and dry in a day or if not, then everyone can sleep on the same sheets (slattern emoticon)
So why are you planning to take dirty laundry? Surely you have at least one change of bedclothes and fewer than nine children?

ThatBigGermanPrison Mon 28-Jul-08 21:27:58

I don't go on holiday for two weeks!

Even if I did, I don't have two weeks worth of clothes and neither do the children.

I also don't fancy doing two weeks' washing when I get back.

nametaken Mon 28-Jul-08 21:31:41

We don't even own 14 days worth of clothes!!!!!.

Just do what everyone else has said and take 5 days worth and wash whilst your there.

If you put the wash on 40 degrees light spin you can put everything in the one wash. Or use half loads if you haven't got enough to fill a wash load!

A bag of dirty laundry is NO start to a holiday.

eekamoose Mon 28-Jul-08 21:38:33

Ha! MsDemeanour, no I don't have a spare clean set of bedding for all of us atm. There are two sets for each of the two dcs (but some are white and some are coloured, so laundry conundrums there) and three sets for grown-ups. Plus extra ancient pillow cases. Mebbe I should acquire more of a bottom drawer!

eekamoose Mon 28-Jul-08 21:40:49

I never do half loads and I never mix things up. Today I got all agitated because my neighbour had white pants and sheets and two BLACK bras and BRIGHT COLOURED t shirts out on the line.

I have a problem grin.

ThatBigGermanPrison Mon 28-Jul-08 21:44:19

Do you live next door to me?grin Cos I freely admit to not giving a crap about what goes in with what!

onepieceoflollipop Mon 28-Jul-08 21:47:43

Aah eekamoose your neighbour may well have done a white delicate load for the pants, a hot wash for the sheets, handwashed her black bras, and a separate (or even handwash) wash for the t-shirts.

Don't go judging people now. wink

LittleBella Mon 28-Jul-08 21:49:31

Don't take any clean clothes at all, just dirty ones.

And then tell your DH that as you're on holiday, he can launder everything and you'll have a whole load of lovely clean clothes on Day 2 of the holiday.

LittleBella Mon 28-Jul-08 21:52:50

Ooh I LOVE this thread, I too have insane rules. I have 6 laundry categories - darks, lights, whites, light wools, dark wools, hand wash and then odd stuff like special items which are neither all dark, all light or wool and which I can't be arsed to handwash... oh dear, no, that's 7, I'm barking, aren't I?

eekamoose Mon 28-Jul-08 21:53:15

Not unless you're a 62 year old recently retired nursery school teacher, Colditz.

Mind you, she has a figure Helen Mirren would envy. Those undies are no more than a size 8.

Am very very very judgey about other people's laundry.

I really do have a problem! [sticks fingers in ears] tra la la la la.

LittleBella Mon 28-Jul-08 21:54:17

You don't have a problem, you just have normal laundry standards which other, more slatternly people simply don't understand and can't measure up to.

eekamoose Mon 28-Jul-08 21:54:23

LittleBella - you are a lightweight. I have 14 categories.

HongKongFoeey Mon 28-Jul-08 21:54:25

ofgs-just wash the frickin clothes!
just stick em all in together! and wash them!

how do you live like this?

how long have you known you were going on holiday?if you are so nuts about your washing , why haven't you been washing things and putting to one side in a bag for weeks?

LittleBella Mon 28-Jul-08 21:55:10

grin

I hope you have one of those fark-orf steam irons too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now