Talk

Advanced search

Untitled

(9 Posts)
madame Mon 28-Jul-08 18:41:03

I am really frustrated and I guess a little upset....

Today I went along for a pelvic scan as one investigation into sub fertility. The sonographer was so rude..........I had to take my dd nearly 3 as I have nobody to look after her where I live. She said she will have to sit there, she then went onto completely ignore dd the whole way through.dd of course asking lots of questions and just being a curious girl. Now I totally understand that she had a job to do but she could have spared her the time of day at the end with a few words surley.

I asked her how my ovaries looked as my mum died of ovarian cancer and I have been having annual ovarian screen scans since on the advice of my gynaecologist. She told me that ultra sounds can not be a diagnosis for ovarian cancer, that is a myth and that I needed to have 2 people die of the disease before I could have futher investigation!

Came away feeling angry because she was so rude and concerned about my ovaries and the screening I have been having sad

cocolepew Mon 28-Jul-08 18:45:23

I think that might be wrong about the scans, my mum has been involved with a trail run by one of our hospitals to find out which is the best way to pick up on ovarian cancer. She gets scanned, some people have different proceedures.

YANBU she sounds bloody awful, Could you complain to the hospital?

madame Mon 28-Jul-08 18:49:09

I was thinking about that, it's such a balance between letting things go and being proactive isn't it

unfitmother Mon 28-Jul-08 18:59:03

Sorry to hear about your experience.
Why not contact the PALS office for advice on informing the hospital informally?

madame Mon 28-Jul-08 19:02:19

whats the pals office please unfitmother

nooka Mon 28-Jul-08 19:09:34

Patient Experience and Liaison, you should find the number on the hospital's web site. It sounds like the jury is out on whether ovarian scans are worthwhile or not - I take it you have been having them privately?

madame Mon 28-Jul-08 19:12:03

thanks, no my gp has been sending me for them for the alst 3 years

nooka Mon 28-Jul-08 20:20:21

Ah, just wondering because my experience is that NHS radiographers do not have a high opinion of some privately organised scans (for example when I worked in breast screening they were quite scathing of BUPA's well woman checks - too low resolution apparently, although this was almost 15 years ago).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now