Talk

Advanced search

to never believe the "child is in A&E/van stolen/tools abducted by aliens" excuses of tradesmen

(12 Posts)
Turniphead1 Mon 28-Jul-08 15:26:57

...it seems that 12 months of major work on our house has turned me into a complete cynic. But today the final bit work that has been delayed by 2 weeks due to the contractors father dying in Italy (but yet when I rang him to leave a message it was a UK ring tone...) was supposed to start. But the guy didn't show up "because his child is in A&E with a broken leg" - but yet he did not let his boss know this til the end of the working day. Which meant I had to spend the entire day in the house in case he surfaced.

When my children have been in A&E I have always found the two minutes to text my boss if I will not be able to go to work.

The thing is - some of these stories are probably true. Some are complete bullshit. Of course you can never come out and call them a liar. Maybe one thing that will come out of this credit cruch is that Plumbers/builders/carpenters etc will start honouring their work commitments the way the rest of us have to.

elmoandella Mon 28-Jul-08 15:40:43

have they got worse lately.

perhaps your ill feeling towrds them is putting them off doing the job. they know they gonna get a load of agro when they get there?

NotQuiteCockney Mon 28-Jul-08 15:42:07

Hmmm, one of my tradespeople ages ago had a bike accident ... if it was a fake, he put a lot of work into it ...

Uriel Mon 28-Jul-08 15:42:32

I feel your pain, turniphead.

SoupKitchen Mon 28-Jul-08 15:42:34

I am with you on that one.
My builders were meant to be finishing the job over the next 3 days after 8 weeks of chaos.
They didn't show todaysadangry

I blame the sun

claricebeansmum Mon 28-Jul-08 15:44:59

My last builders were lovely and only 2 months over but they were lovely - always working, let me know what was going on, made me a cup of tea when I got really upset one day... I really missed them when they left.

I am now due to start again and am dreading it. Anyone know of really really lovely efficient builders in Chester?

elmoandella Mon 28-Jul-08 15:48:11

builders always have various jobs on the go at once.

when the good weather comes out, it is innevitable they will do their outdoor jobs as it's only time they can do it.

if they are doing indoor jobs they tend to leave them for the bad weather.

this is why when weather breaks or gets bad they often disappear.

it's the nature of their job.

if they gave you their honest reason that they had other jobs??

would you prefer that or half truth about illnes/accidents/family problems

sandy4 Mon 28-Jul-08 15:48:15

Roofers go to roofer school, if they turn up for their exams, they have failed & don't become roofers.

claricebeansmum Mon 28-Jul-08 15:57:27

LOL Sandy!
grin

Turniphead1 Mon 28-Jul-08 16:56:53

hi elmoandella - no this job is a standalone one. Agreed the price, he seemed to want the work - but getting it started seems difficult. During the main build I had a very good relationship with the builder - it was more individual sub-contractors that were supposed to turn up who came up with these nonsense excuses. Was still very nice to them - after all they have you over a barrell.

I fully nderstand the nature of their work - but as a self-employed person who has to juggle under and over-supply of jobs, I get p*ssed off that they think it is acceptable to swear blind that they will be there at 10am and not turn up. No other profession would do it. I would be mortified to be even 15 minutes late for a client meeting (and I earn a damned sight less than your average plumber or spark). And yes, i would prefer if they levelled with me so I am not stuck in for 7 hours.

Turniphead1 Mon 28-Jul-08 16:58:10

LOL Sandy. I do think they learn the art of bullsh*it as part of their apprenticeship.

elmoandella Mon 28-Jul-08 17:41:55

couriers bug me with that waiting in all day issue.

wtf kind of time slot if 8am till 8pm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now