Talk

Advanced search

...to find the borderline eco-facist approach of Cbeebies more than slightly irritating...???!

(55 Posts)
misspollysdolly Mon 28-Jul-08 14:31:48

Honestly, if it's not Spring/Autumnwatch (which I find quite acceptable on their own) it's now The fecking vomit inducing Green Balloon Club, Nina and the nauseating Neurons GO ECO, Gordon the Garden gnome, Our Planet and painful lovely little ditties about recycling and all pulling together for our planet.

Sentiments I buy into generally - I recycle, I walk if I don't need to drive, and I buy shopping as ethically and morally as I possibly can in an inner city area, but I do object to the near brainwashing that seems to be afoot on children's TV at the mo.

AARGH! Ok, rant over. Just wondered what anyone else thought...

lazaroulovesleggings Mon 28-Jul-08 14:33:51

Well, my kids obviously couldn't give a toss because they love running the water all day

grin

beansprout Mon 28-Jul-08 14:33:53

I don't have a problem with it. Then again, I was raised on The Tufty Club so this is good by comparison!!

RubySlippers Mon 28-Jul-08 14:34:42

there was a similar thread last week

my view is much better to bang the drum about recycling etc than advertising which encourages children to nag parents for over priced plastic tat

misspollysdolly Mon 28-Jul-08 14:45:04

That is a reasonable point, Ruby - and is the reason we watch BBC channels rather than any with advertising.

I do think, however, that there's a fine line between banging the drum for something and frankly just banging on about it. Not sure I agree with anything that encourages children to nag their parents about anything though...even good causes like recycling.

Nothing more irriatating than my children coming up and telling me 'You know mummy you really should be doing...yada yada yada'. Yes, I KNOW!!

TenaciousG Mon 28-Jul-08 14:49:12

the green balloon club sucks hairy ass.

midnightexpress Mon 28-Jul-08 14:54:41

I too try to be as eco-friendly as possible, but I did find my teeth grinding at the bit where the youth tramp up the hillside singing the song about recycling. I'm not sure why, can'ty find teh rigth word, but it's not a very nice word, when I find it.

midnightexpress Mon 28-Jul-08 14:55:04

..or the right spelling, apparently.

igivein Mon 28-Jul-08 14:55:29

I'm with you on this one. Tommy Zoom was bad enough, but it's got totally out of hand now with those pretentious stage school brats on Green Balloon Club. When the little blond one starts lisping tunelessly about it being 'our world' my ds (23 months) points at the TV and starts shouting no! no! Mind you, I suppose it encourages him to go and do something instead of watching TV, so I suppose it's not all bad!

RubySlippers Mon 28-Jul-08 14:57:16

oh, i do have to agree re the sing along at the end of Green Balloon club

it makes me feel slighty icky ...

TenaciousG Mon 28-Jul-08 14:57:46

...cos it's our world.... stop wasting precisou wataaaaaah....... arrrrgh! It makes me want to do donuts in a humvee while quaffing babies' tears and wearing a coat made out of live kittens.

And I am normally a right fucking hippy.

bigpolarbear Mon 28-Jul-08 15:11:57

No YANBU at all. The worst one for me is Sid and the other streak o piss riding their bikes in the park and picking all the rubish up. FFS the song is in my head now, GRRR!!

TenaciousG Mon 28-Jul-08 15:15:54

Andy looks like Super Hans off Peep Show; can't help but imagine him and Sid going home to do buckets and fellate each other.

TheMagnificent7 Mon 28-Jul-08 15:18:12

Got the message Tenacious. Thanks. Erm, turn it over perhaps ?

IorekByrnison Mon 28-Jul-08 15:18:18

Oh my god, you're right Tenacious G - same scarily oversized features and starey eyes.

IorekByrnison Mon 28-Jul-08 15:18:58

That aside, yabu.

fourlittlefeet Mon 28-Jul-08 15:22:33

have found myself giggling at this thread and don't even have a tv.

must switch off the pc and get out more

TenaciousG Mon 28-Jul-08 15:26:10

Glad you got the message, TM7, that was kind of the point of posting it. No need to thank me, you're absolutely welcome. IIRC, you had a rant about the same thing last week; what harm?

TheMagnificent7 Mon 28-Jul-08 15:26:23

Don;t forget to pick up everyone elses stinking rubbish when you get out more. And remember...you live on an island so save water. Because...um...errr...well...um the profits for the foreign shareholders of your water supply company are needed to buy baby tears and kittens, not to invest in our crumbling Victorian nightmare of a water system.

Oh, and akka pakka wikka wakka fucka a ducka a doo. Apparently

TheMagnificent7 Mon 28-Jul-08 15:28:23

Sorry, TenaciousG. Don't do the acronym thing so well. What ?

I meant your descriptions are a little over the top, not that I disagreed with anything. See, I've paid you homage below that post wink

bigpolarbear Mon 28-Jul-08 15:29:11

Oh, and akka pakka wikka wakka fucka a ducka a doo. Apparently
PMSL Mag7.

TenaciousG Mon 28-Jul-08 15:31:21

Heavens to betsy, lass, if all MN rage has to be proportionate and level headed, we are surely in for lean times <pulls head in> wink

ANTagony Mon 28-Jul-08 15:33:13

Couldn't agree more - my DS (4) really getting quite worried about the planet. Its too much brainwashing - nothing wrong with a bit, but every programme. We've gone commercial (milkshake with brekfast) and now he stares blank faced at the adverts - mummy can i have one of those - I neeeed it!

Not sure whats worse.

edam Mon 28-Jul-08 15:33:35

grin at Mag7.

I pointed out on the other thread that it will all backfire horribly. By the time this lot are teenagers, they will rebel, and stuff rubbish bins to overflowing, leave mobile phones on charge all day, leave everything else on standby permanently...

TheMagnificent7 Mon 28-Jul-08 15:37:26

I hate them. It's irrational. i know. But I hate them. Charlie and Lola, Mama Mirabel, Inky Pinky Poo or whatever, no problem. But I want to tread on the Pontipines, not least because they are worse stop motion than Morph was 25 years ago. But I find myself wishing for the Teletubbies. And that's just plain wrong.

And the presenters ? Nice people, but Poy is a boozer (look at her lipstick...smeared all over her face like a mad womans shit). Chris is definitely batting for the other side (jumps into bed with Poy every night ala Bert and Ernie and not a private cobweb is disturbed), and Sam and the other just want to bide their time until they can get all the good drugs and sex on Blue Peter. Their Rap is actually good.

Perhaps I should switch over. And why don't they have Rory The Racing Car ? Voiceovers by Stirling Moss and Peter Kay!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now