Advanced search

AIBU To Not Check Pockets...

(35 Posts)
LeQueen Mon 28-Jul-08 08:25:35

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ghosty Mon 28-Jul-08 08:27:01

Definitely NOT unreasonable.

SqueakyPop Mon 28-Jul-08 08:27:16

It's easier to check pockets than fix the washing machine.

maidamess Mon 28-Jul-08 08:27:54

But he's a big boy. If it gets washed, tough.

itati Mon 28-Jul-08 08:29:46

I don't always remember to check pockets but do try and do them. Better than losing money and things being spoilt because they have been washed.

hedgehog1979 Mon 28-Jul-08 08:31:56

YANBU - since the start of the year i have found dh's bsnk csrd, ruined his mobile phone and made about £40 due to him leaving it in his pockets when i do laundry.

since having ds 5 weeks ago, i have had to keep checking my bras for breast pads before doing the laundry though.

He has the same random filing system and his passport is currently missing, and its my fault, although he had it for work recently.

i think i would check kids pockets coz i remember what tissues can do, but he is an adult!!

bogie Mon 28-Jul-08 08:34:19

yanbu serves him right

Uriel Mon 28-Jul-08 08:39:42

My dh has the same filing system as your dh, LeqQueen grin. So I always check his pockets.

Cies Mon 28-Jul-08 08:41:09

YANBU. He's an adult. He should check anything that's going in the wash before it's put in the wash basket.

In our house we have 3 washing baskets - 1 for whites, 1 for colours and 1 for special washing (wools, delicates, handwashing). If someone doesn't put an item in the correct basket, it can get ruined. And it's tough shit. <<evil cackle>>

NotQuiteCockney Mon 28-Jul-08 08:42:01

Ah, I'm the one with the random filing system in this house. DH despairs.

Luckily, I'm also the one who does the laundry, so I've yet to launder my phone/wallet/whatever.

Hassled Mon 28-Jul-08 08:44:00

I never check pockets and as a result washed DS2's most prized YuGiOh cards a couple of years ago. He still mentions it from time to time. And any money that emerges from the wash is mine - I made that clear to everyone a while back .
My DH also does that random leaving of important stuff around the house - it drives me insane. He leaves post, regardless of how important, wherever he happened to be at the time he opened it.

purplefraggle Mon 28-Jul-08 08:47:17

I had this until I got sick of the moaning so got a small wicker basket and put it on the table for him. Gave him instructions that he was to put his stuff in there. If he didn't it wouldn't be my problem if they got lost. He now uses the basket and hasn't lost / washed anything since (so far!)

Sobernow Mon 28-Jul-08 08:47:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Miggsie Mon 28-Jul-08 08:48:19

Hassled...we are married tot he same man!

I have washed computer disks, pens, money, tissues, business cards...I'll wash his damn pants but I refuse to go through his trouser pockets.

"A mans pockets are his own private kingdom"

Now I have DD and her mania for stickers on clothes, how many stickers are swirling around in our washing machine at any one time I shudder tot hink.

Miggsie Mon 28-Jul-08 08:48:19

Hassled...we are married tot he same man!

I have washed computer disks, pens, money, tissues, business cards...I'll wash his damn pants but I refuse to go through his trouser pockets.

"A mans pockets are his own private kingdom"

Now I have DD and her mania for stickers on clothes, how many stickers are swirling around in our washing machine at any one time I shudder tot hink.

LazyLinePainterJane Mon 28-Jul-08 08:48:54

My DH has the same filing system grin

He has lost several debit cards and wears the strip and signature from the back from keeping them in his pockets, not in his wallet.

The other day he expressed shock that I had thrown away a crumpled up receipt that had been on his bedside table for about a week because it was "important" hmm

sparklesandnowinefor13weeks Mon 28-Jul-08 08:49:59

Like Hedgehog I check DC's pockets, for tissues mainly grin

but never DP's he's an adult and is capable of making sure he removes these things himself, either that or stop doing his washing, make him do it himself and see if he remembers to check them every time!

JackieNo Mon 28-Jul-08 08:52:50

Have to say, I do check pockets. Because, as someone else said, I don't want to ruin the washing machine, and because if someone leaves a tissue in their pocket, it'll go all over everything, including my stuff that's in there.

As long as you're not worried about that, then YANBU, imo, LeQueen.

I'm with you on the stickers, Miggsie - there are quite often several floating around from DD and DS's clothes.

LIZS Mon 28-Jul-08 08:54:30

oh , not just mine then, lol !!

MrsJohnCusack Mon 28-Jul-08 08:56:11

well JackieNo has just said all that I wanted to say - so wot jackie said
(tissues are the WORST - drives me demented)

kslatts Mon 28-Jul-08 08:57:06

I think you are being a bit unreasonable. If your dh put on a load of washing would he check the pockets? I check all pockets before putting clothes in the machine, so does dh, it's usually only dd1 who leaves stuff in the pockets though.

LazyLinePainterJane Mon 28-Jul-08 09:17:28

"If your dh put on a load of washing would he check the pockets?"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!!!! (this is not to indicate that DH would not put a load through the wash, he has and does, but check the pockets??!? NEVER!)

Shitehawk Mon 28-Jul-08 09:20:38

Well yes, of course he should check his own pockets.

But as the inconvenience caused by any damage to the machine would be my inconvenience (having to call plumbers, wait in all day for them, blah blah blah) it's in my interest to check dh's pockets.

Any pound coins I find in there are mine as well wink

bumpybecky Mon 28-Jul-08 10:46:35

I'm so glad at the responses to this thread. I'm currently LIVID with my 'D'H angryangryangryangry we're back from our holiday I've got a week's worth of washing for 6 to do. I've done 8 loads so far and am less than half way through! I've not got time to be checking every pocket, especially as they all know to do their own.

This morning I was pegging out the washing, thinking it was a bit wiffy. Turns out (not so)'D'H has been keeping fag ends in his pocket and I've just washed about 5 of them angryangryangryangry The whole load ended up smelling of fags angry

My clothes and the baby's clothes that were smelly are currently in the machine being re-washed. His clothes are on the grass in the garden next to the washing line! He can sort them out when he gets home angry

sorry - hijack there! LeQueen YANBU not at all

TheHedgeWitch Mon 28-Jul-08 10:50:39

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now