Talk

Advanced search

to email Argos as ask why they are so overtly gender stereotyping?

(41 Posts)
Shoegazer Sun 27-Jul-08 18:55:53

Apparently they have "everything you need for your little princess" and "everything you need for your little monster". What I most want to know if why girls apparently need sets to make bath bombs, perfume and lip gloss and only boys should have access to telescopes, bug catchers and chemistry sets?!

expatinscotland Sun 27-Jul-08 18:56:58

because boys are smelly and girls are lurvely.

Feenie Sun 27-Jul-08 18:59:07

Outrageous, isn't it. I had a fit in Mothercare a couple of years ago, because they separated their toys with big 'BOYS' and 'GIRLS' signs, then had a doctor's dressing up outfit in the boys' section and a nurse's one in the girls'. Of course, girls can't possibly want to be doctors, can they? angry

motherinferior Sun 27-Jul-08 18:59:50

Ycch, no! Go for it!

Amethyst86 Sun 27-Jul-08 19:02:45

Oh Feenie that is unbelievable angry. Haven't really thought about this issue before beyond minor irritation at examples such as yours but I have a ds and a dd and it does really piss me off when family members differentiate between them in a similar manner.

Amethyst86 Sun 27-Jul-08 19:03:11

Sorry SG, no YANBU.

Feenie Sun 27-Jul-08 19:03:53

I haven't even got a dd, just my ds, but it pissed me off so much!

sprogger Sun 27-Jul-08 19:15:31

Drives me crazy too. It's one thing if a child picks out gender-loaded toys for him or herself and enjoys playing with them, it's quite another thing to have retailers telling them they should.

Miggsie Sun 27-Jul-08 19:16:44

I'd email and ask why all the girl furniture is covered with Barbie!!!!

YUKKY YUK YUK YUK

I want to know why boys gets kits to make bogeys and girls get kits to make perfume...and yes, only boys are meant to be interested in science unless the box is turned pink and then it is "girl science".

The universe is not colour coded into pink and blue so these things REALLY piss me off.
I did physics A level and there was nothing pink within 100 miles and I still managed to pass.

StealthPolarBear Sun 27-Jul-08 19:17:22

yes, me too
Also, why does the girls' selection of clothes take 9/10 of the store, and the boys have a rail of blue and brown trousers and a selection of T-shirts effectively calling them little sh*ts?

StealthPolarBear Sun 27-Jul-08 19:17:49

that's not argos btw, shops in general, sorry, just ranting

Miggsie Sun 27-Jul-08 19:20:39

Tis true, I was shopping with DD and met a woman in John Lewis children department and she said she had 5 grandsons and she was saying "I hope my daughter has a girl this time, the things are so much nicer" while my DD was trying to buy a christening dress "because it was long and pretty"

allgonebellyup Sun 27-Jul-08 19:21:46

does my head in too

StealthPolarBear Sun 27-Jul-08 19:25:25

Oh and apparently boys don't get wet if it rains
Well that's the only assumption I can draw from most shops having 3 or 4 choices of girls' rain cots and no boys' ones

(I have one now, thank you, courtesy of a lovely friend who bought DS it for his birthday from NEXT, but was very angry at the time)

cocolepew Sun 27-Jul-08 19:27:59

It's not a law, you can actually buy your children any toy/clothes/shoes that you want.

StealthPolarBear Sun 27-Jul-08 19:29:17

I know
And if they'd had a nice red one, or a yellow one, he'd have been in it like a shot, i like him wearing neutral colours (might explain why he gets called a girl lots )
But it was pink, with flowers, or yellow, with pink flowers...

lunavix Sun 27-Jul-08 19:30:13

Stealth - I agree with that! Can't find ds a raincoat poor love is still using his winter coat or getting wet!

Shoegazer Sun 27-Jul-08 19:32:51

My DD loves catching bugs and adores train sets, she also loves playing in her kitchen and dressing as a princess. I would love her to make bath bombs and snot, I just hate the pigeonholing of it all <sigh>

TenaciousG Sun 27-Jul-08 19:33:12

It does my head in. The ELC catalogue is the same; all the 'action/adventure' toys are ont he blue pages adn all the 'my first ironing board' stuff is on the pink pages. Grrrrr.

StealthPolarBear Sun 27-Jul-08 19:33:19

Well as I said DS's is from next, a plain navy one. Probably too summery now though
Actually, I haven't seen it in ages...have you stolen it? angry

StealthPolarBear Sun 27-Jul-08 19:34:03

Well DS so far loves playing with a hoover as well as his car. It must be because I am such a brilliant parent!

(let me dream)

TenaciousG Sun 27-Jul-08 19:37:43

My nephew loves playing with dd's toy pushchair; his dad makes him pretend it is a lawn mower tho sad.

Shoegazer Sun 27-Jul-08 19:38:31

I do hate the colour coding too, I end up buying pink for DD because if I buy the blue I feel like a try hard politically correct twat.

chipmonkey Sun 27-Jul-08 19:41:34

My boys would never play with a hoover. But then, I doubt if they have ever seen me use one!blush[slattern emoticon]

StealthPolarBear Sun 27-Jul-08 20:00:19

The irony is until very recently he used to cry in terror every time I put the hoover on. Now he doesn't cry, but he does threaten it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now