Talk

Advanced search

To think that television programmes are misleading our children into believing in things that aren't real?

(32 Posts)
wannaBe Sat 26-Jul-08 22:28:44

talking trains (Thomas and friends), talking building equipment (bob the builder), equipment which can work unsupervised in fact, talking cars (rory the racing car) and so the list goes on.

Television is such a heavy influence on our children, how are they ever supposed to deal with the disappointment when they find out that these vehicles can't really talk?

grin

MingMingtheWonderPet Sat 26-Jul-08 22:30:54

When we went to Australia DD thought she was going to see the Koala brothers flying a plane, oh the disappointment grin

MrsSylar Sat 26-Jul-08 22:31:12

I know!
I bought my 5 yo old a Harry Potter dressing up kit for his birthday and he was DEVASTATED to find out that the cloak didn't make him invisible.

How misleading is that?

wannaBe Sat 26-Jul-08 22:33:18

can we sue?

grin

cornsilk Sat 26-Jul-08 22:46:05

Smiling mums neatly dressed at breakfast time, clean and tidy houses, it's disgraceful really.

MingMingtheWonderPet Sat 26-Jul-08 22:51:48

Nicely spoken children who never have a screaming tantrum.
It's just not right!

Bowddee Sat 26-Jul-08 22:55:09

Does this mean that Santa isn't real?

MingMingtheWonderPet Sat 26-Jul-08 22:57:36

What about the Tooth Fairy???

Tigerschick Sat 26-Jul-08 22:58:25

LOL grin

Califrau Sat 26-Jul-08 23:01:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Rachmumoftwo Sat 26-Jul-08 23:01:32

What do you mean they can't talk?

abouteve Sat 26-Jul-08 23:02:31

So funny, we can roll our eyes, but the kids believe it. Lets face it at there age they cannot drink alcohol or engage in tabacco, drug taking so they have to still have something. grin

madamez Sat 26-Jul-08 23:03:06

Shocking. ANd then you have adults in positions of authority telling them about al these invisible super-powered creatures that they are supposed to talk to and beg for mercy from...

StarlightMcKenzie Sat 26-Jul-08 23:05:25

Message withdrawn

edam Sat 26-Jul-08 23:05:45

Took ds to a theme park with a 'Thomasland' section the other day - he was thrilled that when Thomas arrived, he really did have rolling eyes. He knows that engines really don't talk so to see Thomas with rolling eyes made a little bit of magic come back.

Bowddee Sat 26-Jul-08 23:18:59

edam - we were at ThomasLand the other day too. DS LOVED it. So much that having been with his best friend, we had to go back yesterday with his cousin.

Portofino Sat 26-Jul-08 23:20:28

Surely this is just part of childhood? My dd met Spengebob Squarepants last year in the US and was soooo excited. She is still scared of father chistmas mind you. When I was a kid it was the Magic faraway tree and the wishing chair. I can't remember being too shocked that fairies, elves etc didn't really exist.....

edam Sat 26-Jul-08 23:23:47

Blimey Bowddee, if we are talking about the same place - Drayton Manor - that must have set you back a few quid. I nearly collapsed at paying the entrance fee once! (Although I am a tight Northerner...)

Bowddee Sat 26-Jul-08 23:29:54

edam, I cheated. I got an 'Adult & Toddler'ticket the first time (even though the offer was supposed to have finished, but I asked and they didn't question it), then yesterday I had a £4 off voucher for me and spent the car journey brainwashing the kids in to believing that they're still 3.
Shhhh.

edam Sat 26-Jul-08 23:36:14

Ah, I see. And promise not to tell anyone...

Tried brainwashing ds today re. admission to a different place that's free for under-fives (his birthday was last week). Only for dh to go striding over to the ticket counter and tell them ds was 5!

thumbwitch Sat 26-Jul-08 23:41:54

not unreasonable to think it but possibly unreasonable if you mind?

Isn't believing in all that part of the magic of childhood? Although I can remember being sadly disillusioned at the tender age of 5 1/2 when my Fairy Queen costme that I got for Crimbo included a wand that DIDN'T WORK sadsad.

Reality ain't all it's cracked up to be sometimes - I like the choice of the fantasy lands as well.

tycerrig Sun 27-Jul-08 11:53:24

I can see what you are saying but think of it this way, what about books? they do exactly the same thing and I doubt anybody would think that reading books would be having a negative effect. I used to think that every old big tree I saw would transport me to an enchaned forest!

ScottishMummy Sun 27-Jul-08 12:09:18

suspension of reality and fantasy are developmental milestones and fun too.unclench let the children have appropriate fun

sheesh how do you explain santa you know that make believe fat ole bloke who comes down chimney

SheSellsSeashellsByTheSeashore Sun 27-Jul-08 12:20:45

pmsl bowdee i was telling dd yesterday that if flamingoland ask her she should tell them that she is only three because all the best rides are for three year olds and she wont be able to go on them if she is four blush

dd has just told me that dr who and harry potter are all make believe but rory the racing car can talk, though she know not all cars talk just some of them. and the fairies live behind our firplace and they tell santa and mammy and daddy if she is naughty. grin

motherinferior Sun 27-Jul-08 12:22:14

This thread is meant to be taking the piss out of the thread objecting to sexism on telly.

Oh, how we larfed. Not.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now